Assists Leader | Syracusefan.com

Assists Leader

Which is pathetic for a starting point guard. I would submit that the vast majority of his assists are passes around the perimeter where someone has an open 3. Marek has far better court vision than Frank.

Coming into today's game, Howard was our assists leader with 3.0 a game. After today, that number will drop to 2.9.

This puts that into perspective: Syracuse Orange Season Assist Leaders

I’ve got nothing against FH and I wish nothing but the best for him but I’m looking forward to Someone else running the PG position next year. Preferably a real PG.

Coming into today's game, Howard was our assists leader with 3.0 a game. After today, that number will drop to 2.9.

This puts that into perspective: Syracuse Orange Season Assist Leaders
Howard is not a point guard. He was a shooting guard that couldn’t shoot. The staff took a flyer on him thinking he could be converted to a big PG. The experiment failed miserably.

Something to consider. Oshae did well passing today, but even on a great read to Chuckwu, he was robbed of an assist by a missed dunk. Speaking of Oshae, I wouldnt be surprised if he's robbed Frank of some assists this season with his missed layups.

To get assists, you need guys who finish/close, so I'm not sure how fair straight statistical comparison is to players who had teammates who could finish/make plays. This is not a team of closers!! Put that coffee down!! (Sherman was great, but would he have those numbers with this crew? Seriously, think about that)

Last edited:
Something to consider. Oshae did well passing today, but even on a great read to Chuckwu, he was robbed of an assist by a missed dunk. Speaking of Oshae, I wouldnt be surprised if he's robbed Frank of some assists this season with his missed layups.

To get assists, you need guys who finish/close, so I'm not sure how fair straight statistical comparison is to players who had teammates who could finish/make plays. This is not a team of closers!! Put that coffee down!! (Sherman was great, but would he have those numbers with this crew? Seriously, think about that)
I'd also add... it's clear Howard isn't right physically. He hasn't played well this year, that's obvious. But it's possible he can't play well.

really none of our guards are going by anyone this game . battle will get an occasional burst into the lane but the result is usually more circus flip and foul than power slam. i'd say the injury play was 50/50 call.

Marek and OB are the closest things we have to PGs when it comes to finding people that aren't 2 feet away and wide open.....they actually make some nice passes once in awhile like hitting cutters, etc., with some degree of difficulty. That's not me saying they do it regularly, or are even overwhelming good passers, just that they seem more adept at reading/reacting with a pass than our guards who struggle with even what to do on breakaways. :(

The rest of the team doesn't pass all that well...I mean they can pass the ball, but so can most P5 players.

when we had the bad run of NITs in the 2000s we had the trio of nichols, roberts & watkins. the three of them averaged something like 3 assists and 9 turnovers per game. it isn't just about who the point guard is, passing is about team philosophy and offensive execution. you have to have passing out of multiple positions in modern basketball, it isnt about having one guy that can pass.

effective inside passing is a two way thing. guys willing and able to identify mismatches and make the pass and receivers who can isolate and create open space, catch and finish . we mostly play ISO ball. 1 on 1.
we have had a bit of success on the drive, draw and toss to chukwu at the rim lately but our assist #'s are pathetic.

my post was actually indirectly blaming JB, but i don't want to get over the top about it.

Good. Our offense is atrocious and JB needs to start taking more criticism for how bad it is.

Sorry for misinterpreting.

hey we stopped scoring second half. they didn't. it ain't all about the offense

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom