Assists | Syracusefan.com

Assists

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
Jalen and Brycen combined for 3 A. In two games against overmatched teams our backcourt averages 3 A / game.
In this game Eli, Buddy and Marek combined for 13. Marek led everyone with 5. Eli had 4 and Buddy 4

I see you and some of the other boo birds are out in full force already. NIT or bust right?

I dont get caught up too much in assists since its pretty arbitrary on how they are handed out and often the wrong guy gets the assists or one is given when there shouldnt be one.

jb doesn’t recruit pg’s who think to pass first.

concerning.

But it doesn't appear that the offense will need to flow through a primary distributor. Having several people who can handle, pass, and set teammates up in scoring position is what is going to differentiate this year's team from the previous several, where our offense was completely bogged down.

Jalen and Brycen combined for 3 A. In two games against overmatched teams our backcourt averages 3 A / game.
In this game Eli, Buddy and Marek combined for 13. Marek led everyone with 5. Eli had 4 and Buddy 4

Part of that is the PG in this offense is not pounding the ball for 20 seconds. The ball is being spread all around. Hughes bringing the ball up, Marek playing point forward and Buddy being such a threat he can find the extra pass when he pulls his defender out. Carey and Goodine can do more of the driving, drawing defenders and kicking.

Cuse!

I wish a good screen counted as an assist. There were several possessions where the ball moved and then a screen was set for a player to get space and knock down a shot. This is still team basketball and getting quality shots even if it took a few dribbles after a pass or it is pushing on the break. It was not the ISO dribble for 30 seconds and launch from last year. Very few possessions had a truly iso nature to them even if the actual bucket was an isolation play.

Not sure about the assists, but one thing I’m sure of is that I saw a much more fluid offense out in the court than I saw last year. Helps to have 3 or 4 guys on the court at the same time that can dribble and pass.

Part of that is the PG in this offense is not pounding the ball for 20 seconds. The ball is being spread all around. Hughes bringing the ball up, Marek playing point forward and Buddy being such a threat he can find the extra pass when he pulls his defender out. Carey and Goodine can do more of the driving, drawing defenders and kicking.

Cuse!
eh Hughes still does a lot of pounding and there is still a ton of top of the key handoffs which is the equivalent of pounding. Marek is the only player we have who always looks to facilitate. JG3 needs to adjust from scorer to distributor.

eh Hughes still does a lot of pounding and there is still a ton of top of the key handoffs which is the equivalent of pounding. Marek is the only player we have who always looks to facilitate. JG3 needs to adjust from scorer to distributor.

At least he does it with a purpose. Battle and Brissett would just pound it and stand still.

Cuse!
If it was a good kick it would show as an A.

jb doesn’t recruit pg’s who think to pass first.

FIFY.

JB recruits combo guards or SG's that he hopes to convert to PG's.
We've had some success there, and some notable failures.

I thought JC had 3 assists last night...

I see you and some of the other boo birds are out in full force already. NIT or bust right?
Reporting the Box Score Assists makes someone a boo bird? I live in the real world. One might rationally argue that our PG assists do not matter, or whatever, but the fact is that the assists are what they are.

FIFY.

JB recruits combo guards or SG's that he hopes to convert to PG's.
We've had some success there, and some notable failures.
I agree. It generally allows us to get a taller point guard. Additionally, it is a fallback when we fail to get the PG we initially wanted. Rather than go after a lower priority point, it is probably better to gamble on the potential conversion of a more desirable combo guard. It is what it is.

Last year SU averaged 12 assists per game ranking 276/351.

So far in exhibition, SU has had 18, and 18 with many players tallying an assist.

If SU could average 18 assists this year we'd all be smiling. Last year that'd be top 5 in the country good with likes of Belmont, UNC, MSU, And Gonzaga.

I am not saying we average 18 assists per game over the long haul but the ball movement and unselfish play along with pushing tempo is certainly very fun to watch.

no one should ‘always’ be looking to facilitate. We need people looking to score. Good players look to score when they are open and look to pass when they are not. JG3 should keep doing what he’s been doing which is takewhat the defense gives you. The kid can flat out stroke it so I say shoot it when your open baby!

The lack of assists from the 2 true PGs is a bit concerning, but remember, Eli also functioned as a PG for much of the game.

Putting aside the 57 different lineup combinations and no true point guard playing for what seemed like half the game, I wouldn't place too much emphasis on team stats in an exhibition game.

Reporting the Box Score Assists makes someone a boo bird? I live in the real world. One might rationally argue that our PG assists do not matter, or whatever, but the fact is that the assists are what they are.

My point was that there is a blood in the water approach to point out the flaws two games into the season. It's not like there is enough negativity around our athletics programs already. Just seems like a tired take. It will be good to face an early power to put the court product up against box score analysis. Carleton was a superior team to Daemon defensively and we held up. 16:12 in A:T as a team. I believe you called out the ratio for Daemon so why not call out the ratio again vs cherry picking assists?

Eh... its the nature of our offense. Most guard assists come from pick and roll or drive and kick.

We don't run pick and roll, there are limited driving lanes and none of our guards are good penetrator which prevents a lot of drive and kicks. Our version of penetrating the D is passing to the Marek at the top of the key where he can initiate the offense and look for backdoor cut opportunities which is why he has more assist than the guards.

I'd love to see pick and roll with Guerrier or Hughes or Marek as the screener as they can all either roll to the hoop or pop out for a jumper or make an additional pass to the other side of the hoop where hopefully there is someone crashing. But who am I but some random fan.

Not sure about the assists, but one thing I’m sure of is that I saw a much more fluid offense out in the court than I saw last year. Helps to have 3 or 4 guys on the court at the same time that can dribble and pass.

I’ll reserve judgment on the offense’s fluidity until I see it against ACC level teams. I *think* we have players who can dribble and pass, but it always looks like we have players who can dribble and pass in these exhibition games.

I’ll reserve judgment on the offense’s fluidity until I see it against ACC level teams. I *think* we have players who can dribble and pass, but it always looks like we have players who can dribble and pass in these exhibition games.
Believe it or not, Carleton is actually pretty good. Not ACC level, but definitely mid major level.

... We don't run pick and roll, there are limited driving lanes and none of our guards are good penetrators which prevents a lot of drive and kicks. ... I'd love to see pick and roll with Guerrier or Hughes or Marek as the screener as they can all either roll to the hoop or pop out for a jumper or make an additional pass to the other side of the hoop where hopefully there is someone crashing. But who am I but some random fan.
Last night against Carleton, there was one attempted pick and roll off an inbounds play where BB took the inbounds pass behind a MD screen, then fed MD as he broke for the basket. IIRC, MD was fouled on the play, or else he would have scored.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom