Asst coach | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Asst coach

If we want that. Ewing is the most qualified.
DC could also play on the perimeter, and handle the ball and pass. Patrick is strictly a center.
DC could teach all 3 frontcourt positions.

I watch most their games. Not sure Ash can play at this level.
Is he going to play with Jayhawks again? Big summer for Andreo. Can he play on the wing or is a slightly undersized 4. To me same type of kid as Frankie Policelli from Utica Area. Once Frankie got a little stronger he was a good player for Stoney Brook. Unless Ash develops a perimeter game or grows 3 inches he might be better at an A10 type school. IMO.

Is he going to play with Jayhawks again? Big summer for Andreo. Can he play on the wing or is a slightly undersized 4. To me same type of kid as Frankie Policelli from Utica Area. Once Frankie got a little stronger he was a good player for Stoney Brook. Unless Ash develops a perimeter game or grows 3 inches he might be better at an A10 type school. IMO.

He has developed his 3 ball. He makes 1-2 a game it seems. But he’s still an inside guy that would be undersized here…..I think.

The recent Mike Waters podcast, that just posted he's pretty confident the next Assistant will be outside of the SU family...be a Wayne Morgan/Troy Weaver type.

The SU alumni who are into coaching, aren't in a position) to take the current opening, don't have the needed experience. They need someone with strong recruiting ties in the usual hot spot areas (NYC, Philly, DC/Balt etc).

Last edited:
So if I understand correctly Red will need to hire 3 more coaches but only 1 can go out recruiting.

Then you hire
1- The single best recruiter you can find and afford.

1- Hire a teacher of the game. Someone who can work with the kids on a daily basis to refine their individual skills. Develope drills to help improve the fundamentals.

1- Hire either an offensive coordinator or a defensive coordinator which ever one Red and his current staff feel they would want someone to lead that side of the ball.
Recruiter like Bino Ranson
Big man coach Etan Thomas
Forwards coach Ryan Blackwell/Demetris Nichols

Here's a question...

If say... Pitino takes St. Johns (after Iona tourney run end) and Gerry gets the call/offer from Iona, does he take it??

Last edited:
I love griff but need a actual big man to coach the bigs . Really think Red will do good recruiting so a Big man coach are any alum bigs that coach
With how much Jesse improved over his career what makes Griff a bad big man coach? If we could get that improvement from every position the past decade we’d have 4 titles.

With how much Jesse improved over his career what makes Griff a bad big man coach? If we could get that improvement from every position the past decade we’d have 4 titles.
Good question...not alot of "numbers" to say one way or another.
Griffin helped coach Chukwu, Anselem, Dolezaj Sidebe Ajok(?).
It's almost like the Rakeem Christmas story. Not much for the first 3 seasons
because we weren't running the offense through a "5" much. Then BANG!!
Rak or Jesse becomes a prime option on offense.
But I will say the recruiting of bigs the last 6 years hasn't been that good.

My money’s on someone in the EYBL ecosystem - not unlike what Memphis did with the former Rens coach.

I love griff but need a actual big man to coach the bigs . Really think Red will do good recruiting so a Big man coach are any alum bigs that coach
And a big coach to recruit big prospects.

How about Edwards positioning, footwork, ball positioning, & post moves & numbers against practically anyone bigger than him?

Fine, let Griffin coach bigs til the cows come home, even though he would probably rather coach guards.

Anyhow, what we need is the absolute brightest star in recruiting we can get. Would be interesting if that just so happened to be another Boeheim coached player, but I would be fine if it were someone completely different.

Besides watching the movie moneyball, I am not sure what an analytics person could do for college basketball, but hire that too.

Maybe a 'bench coach' too, whatever it is they do.

Red is sealing some deals with JJ, GMAC, Griff, & hopefully Mintz, Jesse, Joe, but at some point he is going to have to put his thinking cap on for these other choices, which are more difficult.

I know it's an "out of left field" idea, but does anyone think Etan Thomas would be interested? I would love to have an actual big man coaching the bigs on the roster.

I know he doesn't have any coaching experience, but with his NBA experience and his profile in the community, I think he would be a great recruiter.

I know it's an "out of left field" idea, but does anyone think Etan Thomas would be interested? I would love to have an actual big man coaching the bigs on the roster.

I know he doesn't have any coaching experience, but with his NBA experience and his profile in the community, I think he would be a great recruiter.
Etan does a lot of things. Doesn’t seem like coaching is one of them, as far as I know?

With a new head coach, SU needs to be hiring assistants that have already been assistants, IMO.

How about Edwards positioning, footwork, ball positioning, & post moves & numbers against practically anyone bigger than him?

Fine, let Griffin coach bigs til the cows come home, even though he would probably rather coach guards.

Anyhow, what we need is the absolute brightest star in recruiting we can get. Would be interesting if that just so happened to be another Boeheim coached player, but I would be fine if it were someone completely different.

Besides watching the movie moneyball, I am not sure what an analytics person could do for college basketball, but hire that too.

Maybe a 'bench coach' too, whatever it is they do.

Red is sealing some deals with JJ, GMAC, Griff, & hopefully Mintz, Jesse, Joe, but at some point he is going to have to put his thinking cap on for these other choices, which are more difficult.
Lol, dude went from the second IMG team to one of the best centers in the ACC.

Good question...not alot of "numbers" to say one way or another.
Griffin helped coach Chukwu, Anselem, Dolezaj Sidebe Ajok(?).
It's almost like the Rakeem Christmas story. Not much for the first 3 seasons
because we weren't running the offense through a "5" much. Then BANG!!
Rak or Jesse becomes a prime option on offense.
But I will say the recruiting of bigs the last 6 years hasn't been that good.
Not one of those guys was a top 100 guy, if they were they closer to 100. Anselem still isn’t doing anything

Personally. Our best teams has been when we didn’t have all Syracuse alums on the bench. Can we stop trying to make this a thing. We need outside ideas, outside perspectives. One that is an ace recruiter like Murphy or weaver. Or someone that brings next level offense or defense. Similar to that D2 offensive wizard.

Same. I don’t see them hiring Devo, Blackwell or any of those guys. It’ll be an experienced, plugged in assistant coach with national recruiting chops.

That only made sense if Gerry was leaving, and as I learned, he clearly is not.

Here's a question...

If say... Pitino takes St. Johns (after Iona tourney run end) and Gerry gets the call/offer from Iona, does he take it??

Or if Langel leaves Colgate for ND.

Etan does a lot of things. Doesn’t seem like coaching is one of them, as far as I know?

With a new head coach, SU needs to be hiring assistants that have already been assistants, IMO.

And even moreso, we need to hire an ace recruiter like Troy Weaver or Rob Murphy.

Let’s not forget, Troy got us Melo, and might have gotten us KD had he not jumped to a job in the Association prior.

Outside ideas and experience are good things.
Especially at this juncture with so much changing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom