At least when we miss 3’s | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

At least when we miss 3’s

There’s some small hope for Bell and Taylor, but the rest of the guys here are never going to be good from deep. Bennys shot was flat the day he showed up here and the concerns about Starling were discussed all offseason. I do think Cuffe has potential. We need to recruit more kids like Elijah Moore.

Watching Miami and Clemson last night was eye opening. It was much easier for those teams to score as they had guys who can make shots from anywhere. We are playing 90’s style basketball.

By this time a kid can either shoot or they can't. Don't get me wrong everyone can improve but you are either a shooter or you aren't.
I think this is true for some players but not all of them.

There’s some small hope for Bell and Taylor, but the rest of the guys here are never going to be good from deep. Bennys shot was flat the day he showed up here and the concerns about Starling were discussed all offseason. I do think Cuffe has potential. We need to recruit more kids like Elijah Moore.

Watching Miami and Clemson last night was eye opening. It was much easier for those teams to score as they had guys who can make shots from anywhere. We are playing 90’s style basketball.
even if we do it well, it's very hard to keep up
23% from 3 in conference
opponents 48%

yikes

even if we do it well, it's very hard to keep up
23% from 3 in conference
opponents 48%

yikes
Some of this is offensive scheme which plays a big part. We've been notorious for having our best players take terrible shots over the years. Joe was never shooting as good here as he is at Clemson this season. They run better offense. I can't remember the last time I saw us try to free up Bell or Taylor for an open look with screen or motion.

It's amazing how good he's looked on a team that isn't asking him to play point guard.

Except he does play a lot of PG. That’s why he leads the team in assists. He as the SG and the starting PG are those positions in name only really They pass and move so much nobody’s really THE PG.

Except he does play a lot of PG. That’s why he leads the team in assists. He as the SG and the starting PG are those positions in name only really They pass and move so much nobody’s really THE PG.
You can tell from the conference stats what role each guy is playing. Hunter is attacking more and shooting 5.5 more two point shots in conference.

Call the guards what you want but they they aren't asking girard to put the ball on the floor and beat anyone

Last edited:
You can tell from the conference stats what role each guy is playing. Hunter is attacking more and sitting 5.5 more two point shots in conference.

Call the guards what you want but they they aren't asking girard to put the ball on the floor and beat anyone

Their style of playing isn’t really beating anyone off the dribble. That’s iso ball. Nobody dribbles more than a couple times before it’s passed.

You're both right. I watched the Clemson game last night start to finish. He's not the 'pg' but he handles it all game long. It's sort of like Jardine and Triche playing together. Joe, imo, is playing better because they run a nice offense (it's not iso ball) and he's not being asked to do everything.

Last edited:
Taylor at 25 seconds
Look at how late he releases and look at how far back the ball is over his head
Slinging it at the top of his jump.
Where did this kid go? We really need him this year. Need someone besides Mintz and the 2nd leading scorer of the night to pop off for 8 points on a consistent basis

Jordan didn’t become a good shooter until he got to the NBA. So your premise is flawed.

I think you meant to respond to who he responded to.

Anyway, Jordan began his career without a 3 point line and then it became a thing. So that’s a bit of a unique scenario.

Even Bell who can shoot, has crazy bad misses. Who shoots air balls when they are open and set, but we do it all the time.

bell doesnt seem to jump on his shots.

Jordan didn’t become a good shooter until he got to the NBA. So your premise is flawed.
I think you meant to respond to who he responded to.

Anyway, Jordan began his career without a 3 point line and then it became a thing. So that’s a bit of a unique scenario.
Yeah, Brooky is correct. kcsu thinks shooters are born, not made.

I would say my stance is some non-shooters are born, but many shooters are made.

Even PJ Hall gets the ball on the perimeter and makes slick passes. They’re really good.

Benny is blocking his dominant eye
Taylor slings it. All you need to do is form the L and extend. Elbow over eyebrow, you'll get the right trajectory powered by the legs
Copeland is a slinger too

I swear my seventh grader has better form, it's not good
Good point on Benny, except it may just suggest the possible obvious, that his left eye may actually be his dominant eye.

I think this is true for some players but not all of them.
Most shooters, or good ball handlers developed their skills at a young age. By the time an athlete is in college it is really hard to make them significantly better at skills that are motor memory based. Of course anyone can improve or actually get worse depending on training or lack thereof, but you will almost never make a player who isn't a good ball handler or shooter into one that is special at either of those skills.
Joe Girad could practice his handle 24 hours a day and he will never get to the ball handling skills of Judah.
Judah can shoot threes 24 hours a day and he will never come close to Joe's shooting skills.

Why do people keep referring to Bell as a shooter. His numbers say he is not. He is streaky, and can get hot, but even with that his numbers aren’t goood.

Attachments

• IMG_3096.png
    IMG_3096.png
    630 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3095.png
    IMG_3095.png
    615.3 KB · Views: 22
Good point on Benny, except it may just suggest the possible obvious, that his left eye may actually be his dominant eye.
Yeah, that's right. I was a horrible 5th grade coach because there was no one else who would do it and we did that test where you cover the eye, one kid got a little better once he realized he was right handed and left eye dominant, started looking up more across his face the way Benny does.He can't catch the ball so it doesn't matter but it was a small victory

Last edited:
Why do people keep referring to Bell as a shooter. His numbers say he is not. He is streaky, and can get hot, but even with that his numbers aren’t goood.
35% is pretty good considering his high attempts per 40 minutes.

He's better than Trevor Cooney. Syracuse offenses take good shooters and makes them take too many bad shots. Shot quality matters as much or more than form

Most shooters, or good ball handlers developed their skills at a young age. By the time an athlete is in college it is really hard to make them significantly better at skills that are motor memory based. Of course anyone can improve or actually get worse depending on training or lack thereof, but you will almost never make a player who isn't a good ball handler or shooter into one that is special at either of those skills.
Joe Girad could practice his handle 24 hours a day and he will never get to the ball handling skills of Judah.
Judah can shoot threes 24 hours a day and he will never come close to Joe's shooting skills.
Judah could put himself into similar positions that Joe does. He wouldn't get his results but it's ridiculous that he continues to shoot that way

It's not that hard to see what good shooters do and imitate it

He was probably so good at getting to the basket that no coach wanted to upset him with instruction growing up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom