At least when we miss 3’s | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

At least when we miss 3’s

Most shooters, or good ball handlers developed their skills at a young age. By the time an athlete is in college it is really hard to make them significantly better at skills that are motor memory based. Of course anyone can improve or actually get worse depending on training or lack thereof, but you will almost never make a player who isn't a good ball handler or shooter into one that is special at either of those skills.
Joe Girad could practice his handle 24 hours a day and he will never get to the ball handling skills of Judah.
Judah can shoot threes 24 hours a day and he will never come close to Joe's shooting skills.

They're born with it - kids can work hard and all that sure, but when you a see a kid who's different - with elite hand eye and shooting ability, no amount of practice can replicate that

Judah could put himself into similar positions that Joe does. He wouldn't get his results but it's ridiculous that he continues to shoot that way

It's not that hard to see what good shooters do and imitate it

He was probably so good at getting to the basket that no coach wanted to upset him with instruction growing up
That’s what I was wondering about Mintz. He is so athletically gifted, I’d figure he could just tweak a thing or 2 under the instruction of Gmac. Simple things like square up and don’t turn your right foot in before lifting off on your jump shot. This picture is from their Instagram page yesterday. His waist and lower body are literally facing the banners on the opposite side of the gym from where the basket is! That can’t be a good result.

Attachments

• IMG_2052.jpeg
    IMG_2052.jpeg
    771.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
They're born with it - kids can work hard and all that sure, but when you a see a kid who's different - with elite hand eye and shooting ability, no amount of practice can replicate that
Players you see with elite hand eye and shooting ability are the ones who practice all the time when you can't see them

Players you see with elite hand eye and shooting ability are the ones who practice all the time when you can't see them

Nah, plenty of kids practice all the time. Josh Pace and Stevie Thompson practiced all the time too. You can play the piano 14 hours a day, doesn't make you Chopin.

I played in college, and I was a shooter. Used to go head-to-head against Marty:} when he was at Cuse and always held my own in games and horse etc. My handle however was weak. Adequate but weak and I did everything possible to make my left better. Used to spend the entire summer doing regular task left-handed. Eating, brushing teeth etc... doing that and working on it hours a day only got me to being Ok. It is what is is. Some things like hand eye or speed, jumping ability can be improved but only so much.
Foul shooting is something that can be improved as it is a set and static environment so that is one area that a player can improve. Its why Judah is a good foul shooter but isn't a good shooter.

Copeland’s form is now pretty good and Brown looks fine too for a big. The rest …

Funny that Brown may emerge as our most consistent outside shooter [in admittedly limited volume], given that he was viewed as a non-shooter until recently.

Funny that Brown may emerge as our most consistent outside shooter [in admittedly limited volume], given that he was viewed as a non-shooter until recently.
I trust him at the foul line more than I trust anybody else on the roster. I know Judah is making his so far but everything besides the ball actually going throw the net still makes me nervous when he is at the line.

Maliq just knows how to play basketball.

I trust him at the foul line more than I trust anybody else on the roster. I know Judah is making his so far but everything besides the ball actually going throw the net still makes me nervous when he is at the line.

Maliq just knows how to play basketball.
Great point -- because to the extent that FT shooting provides predictive insight into jump shooting ability, Maliq... [he's hitting north of 88% from the stripe, and also about ~73% from the field].

Great point -- because to the extent that FT shooting provides predictive insight into jump shooting ability, Maliq... [he's hitting north of 88% from the stripe, and also about ~73% from the field].
I did not realize that he LEADS THE COUNTRY in eFG%. Also has the 8th best ORating in the country.

I already knew that he was important but the numbers tell us that Maliq is the most important non-Judah player on the roster. And it isn't particularly close...

Nah, plenty of kids practice all the time. Josh Pace and Stevie Thompson practiced all the time too. You can play the piano 14 hours a day, doesn't make you Chopin.
Do you think mintz has practiced shooting as much as Joe? I doubt he's practiced half as much

I played in college, and I was a shooter. Used to go head-to-head against Marty:} when he was at Cuse and always held my own in games and horse etc. My handle however was weak. Adequate but weak and I did everything possible to make my left better. Used to spend the entire summer doing regular task left-handed. Eating, brushing teeth etc... doing that and working on it hours a day only got me to being Ok. It is what is is. Some things like hand eye or speed, jumping ability can be improved but only so much.
Foul shooting is something that can be improved as it is a set and static environment so that is one area that a player can improve. Its why Judah is a good foul shooter but isn't a good shooter.
I would believe this if he didn't turn sideways. Plenty of people fail doing things the right way but you have to say least try to do it the right way

Do you think mintz has practiced shooting as much as Joe? I doubt he's practiced half as much

You mean playing? I'll bet anything Judah's played more ball than Joe. Joe played football in HS.

I think it's as good a predictor as you'll get because it controls for how the best shooters often get stuck taking the worst shots

You mean playing? I'll bet anything Judah's played more ball than Joe. Joe played football in HS.
I said "practiced shooting"

I played a lot of golf (fun) and never practiced chipping (boring) and I suck at chipping

Playing fun, practice not fun

I said "practiced shooting"

I played a lot of golf (fun) and never practiced chipping (boring) and I suck at chipping

Playing fun, practice not fun

I do. I don't get your point.

Standing in a practice bunker for golf is different than taking 100 3s in a gym...

I do know he’s driven more super cars in Miami during the off season as Joe.

In what way is it different?

Because a bunker shot happens maybe 3x a round verses swinging an iron 50x.

Some are more blessed than others with their shooting ability, hard work or not.

Still not sure your point.

Because a bunker shot happens maybe 3x a round verses swinging an iron 50x.

Some are more blessed than others with their shooting ability, hard work or not.

Still not sure your point.
You keep changing what I post and then wonder what my point is

I talk about chipping, you talk bunkers, and then you talk about how many bunker shots are in a round?

There is a jj Reddick going around about how crazy he was in practice.

Judah mintz got to the basket his whole life and never needed a jumper. We love those tall guards who can't shoot. It's not as valuable as it used to be.

If he put in the time shooting sideways, his coaches blew it.

I hope he learns, he very well might, but it might happen in the pros

If I understood you correctly you said practice makes them elite. It helps but it doesn't make them elite, IMO. God given talent is foremost.

The rest was just off track analogies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom