At least when we miss 3’s | Syracusefan.com

At least when we miss 3’s

Copeland’s form is now pretty good and Brown looks fine too for a big. The rest …

So true. I'm no expert, and I'm sure things have changed since from my day, but when you watch the Duke players square up and shoot and the Cuse players doing the same, you're almost a little surprised when the Cuse shots go in.
Benny's shots are flat
Taylors are long and wide
Cope & others not sure.
cuse shooting.jpg

So true. I'm no expert, and I'm sure things have changed since from my day, but when you watch the Duke players square up and shoot and the Cuse players doing the same, you're almost a little surprised when the Cuse shots go in.
Benny's shots are flat
Cope & others not sure.
View attachment 236094
Thanks, I just made this the background on my phone

Benny's shots are flat
Cope & others not sure.
View attachment 236094
This is Dave hopla's instructional video in reverse

Benny's shots are flat
Cope & others not sure.
View attachment 236094
Benny is blocking his dominant eye
Taylor slings it. All you need to do is form the L and extend. Elbow over eyebrow, you'll get the right trajectory powered by the legs
Copeland is a slinger too

I swear my seventh grader has better form, it's not good

Ryan razooky
Dave love
Tim the target
Dave hopla
They should all watch all these guys

My daughter's coach's husband had 11 threes at Rupp Arena in college. I had no idea who he was, I just saw him shooting around with a different kid, and I was amazed at how good he was, looked him up and laughed at calipari losing his mind

jay williams made a comment about judah's feet not being square and his hand release being off. the one aspect of his game you would have expected him to work on all summer won't be corrected in january.

Thanks, I just made this the background on my phone
That's funny. Here is one comparing our shooters to Steph Curry at various stages of a shot. The last one shows Joe because I couldn't find any pictures of SU players in that stage. I didn't try very hard.
In short, our players forms have a lot of room for improvement.

Attachments

• cuse 3.jpg
    cuse 3.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 112
Even Bell who can shoot, has crazy bad misses. Who shoots air balls when they are open and set, but we do it all the time.
The oddities with Bell are that he doesn't jump, and he starts his release from his forehead.

He shoots too much too quickly. He's forcing it sometimes, and that is probably affecting his overall stroke.

When he is on though, he has a nice stroke.

Not everybody has to shoot the same.

That's funny. Here is one comparing our shooters to Steph Curry at various stages of a shot. The last one shows Joe because I couldn't find any pictures of SU players in that stage. I didn't try very hard.
In short, our players forms have a lot of room for improvement.
slinging it catapult style means the arc all depends on when you let go

if you just put your hand under the ball with your forearm close to vertical and lift it on your way up, your arm will pointed to over the basket and the ball will follow.

williams doesn't shoot until he's at the top of his jump so at that point he's lost everything from his legs. He's just using his legs to elevate over people, then he flings it at the hoop. shoot it on the way up and use trajectory to get it over people.

curry's shot is released just after he is barely off the ground, he's just powering the shot from the ground, you don't need to wait until you're high off the ground.

Taylor at 25 seconds
Look at how late he releases and look at how far back the ball is over his head
Slinging it at the top of his jump.

So, uhm, like unpopular real talk - how confident are we that GMac is actually a good shooting coach?
Does GMac even coach Benny, Taylor or Bell in practice? They are forwards. Starling is a different story. He’s completely broken. Copelands shot looks improved.

Probably should mention Gbinije, Hughes, Buddy, and Joe all got better as shooter when they were here.

going back to look at mcnamara, he didn't release until near the top of his jump.

girard at 14 seconds didn't jump that high, releases quicker

maybe it's different eras, create space, back up if you have to and release it quicker

So, uhm, like unpopular real talk - how confident are we that GMac is actually a good shooting coach?
By this time a kid can either shoot or they can't. Don't get me wrong everyone can improve but you are either a shooter or you aren't. We do not have any true shooters on this team with the exception of Bell who is a slightly above average shooter. My guess is he is lights out in practice which is why he continues to get the run he does. He isn't however a gamer so far. The rest of the guys are average including Taylor. We are a good free throw shooting team which is a plus but that doesn't translate well to shooting the three. It is what it is but to expect any of these guys with the exception of possibly JJ and Cuffe to have the light go on is wishful thinking.

this is very stupid because i'm not good at anything and shouldn't do or teach anything to anyone and it's ridiculous to think i have any experience that could relate to gerry mcnamara

but whatever, this whole board is stupid so i'll go with it

i'm a decent golfer (was a 10 handicap with bad short game, probably the same now but i don't bother tracking because i never have time to play) and horrible at baseball and I've done a much better job teaching my kids how to hit a baseball and softball than I've done teaching them to hit a golf ball. I've done the work reading and watching the best people because i'm very interested in helping them. Golf, I just mimicked my dad for better or worse for a thousand rounds and I don't really know what I'm doing.

i wonder if that's mcnamara. maybe he was just always awesome and doesn't really know why?

curry's shot is released just after he is barely off the ground, he's just powering the shot from the ground, you don't need to wait until you're high off the ground.
I remember someone saying once (maybe Kenny Smith) that guy's that are pure jump shooters just in terms of body mechanics will always have shorter range and a worse percentage from really deep than guys that are more set shooters. Set shooters power the shot off from the ground so they can maintain a natural stroke from a lot further away than a jump shooter.

It makes sense when you take an extreme like a 3/4 court heave. Nobody's trying a jump shot from there. It's a more grounded lunge forward.

Last edited:
The oddities with Bell are that he doesn't jump, and he starts his release from his forehead.

He shoots too much too quickly. He's forcing it sometimes, and that is probably affecting his overall stroke.

When he is on though, he has a nice stroke.

Not everybody has to shoot the same.
see i like that he shoots quickly - he is our best shooter

unfortunately at syracuse, our best shooters take too many bad shots which matters more than form.

mcnamara only shot 35% for his career and we know he's a great shooter.

I remember someone saying once (maybe Kenny Smith) that guy's that are pure jump shooters just in terms of body mechanics will always have shorter range and a worse percentage from really deep than guys that are more set shooters. Set shooters power the shot off from the ground so they can maintain a natural stroke from a lot further away than a jumps shooter.

It makes sense when you take an extreme like a 3/4 court heave. Nobody's trying a jump shot from there. It's a more grounded lunge forward.
if you have to outjump your defender to get a shot off , i don't like the shot. keep passing until you find someone open the way the nba does. of course that assumes that everyone can make open shots

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom