At this point... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

At this point...

Why don't we just switch to a minor league system with the schools acting as the teams?

Players get paid and don't have to go to class.
NBA and NFL still get their developmental league.
Schools make money.

Win win win.

Completely ignores the fact that the majority of NCAA athletics (in terms of number of participants) isn't about a path to a career playing a professional sport.

Here is the ESPN article on DeSousa:

My favorite quote: "I'm so excited to be able to come back to Kansas to play and to continue my education. It's an amazing feeling," De Sousa said in a statement. "I want to thank the NCAA committee for the opportunity to do what I really want to do."

He's getting an education. alright.

As to the minor league idea, I've said for years that college sports would be better off letting kids who want to go directly to the pros do so. Let them take care of them. Having kids who don't really want to go to college but have been forced to by the system that adults have set up leads to corruption. if we got only the kids who want a college degree we'd get teams made of four year players and far fewer recruiting scandals, disciplinary and legal problems. And the game would be just as popular because it doesn't depend on having future NBA stars: it's the markets too small for the pros that desire for recognition that makes the college game popular.

It's time that the NCAA fully embrace the splitting of money.

Coaches, top administrators, NCAA staff, have to split their income evenly with all other staff be it janitors, security, admin processing staff.

I have to admit that the loss of JB's wins bothers me more than any of the other penalties.
Believe that it’s well past time for Syracuse University to bring a hefty legal suit against the NCAA for slander and intent to besmirch the good name of the Syracuse basketball coach and basketball team. Sue for damages and the reinstatement of the”forfeited” games.

It was presumably easier when there was a real aura of amateurism about college athletics, but now with all of the money flooding in...and with the NCAA taking the biggest cut of it, how do they differentiate between what they need to allow to go on so that they don't hurt their sacred cash cow and what is truly a dollar too far.
"Amateurism" for college basketball and football is all but over.
There's just too much money involved.
And it really is that simple.

Mark Emmert (an alum by the way) makes millions administering this Alice in Wonderland sanctioning body.
Top coaches make a fortune.
The people who bring in the revenue - the players - deserve a cut.

NOTHING shows the hypocrisy involved more than the fact that Will Wade still has a job...let alone that he just landed a five star recruit.

It's never right to do wrong just because someone else is doing it. Unfortunately we have too much of that mentality at all levels of society today. Starts with gutter politics at the highest level.

These problems scream for a new NCAA that actually organizes, governs and Cares for college athletics.
Believe me, i theoretically agree w/ this perspective. But in the realm of sports especially, the hypocrisy is now beyond the pale.
Everyone knows the game, yet we’re all supposed to act like we don’t, and continue the obvious charade. Meanwhile cheaters continue cheating and prospering, while all the “well-meaning” dupes and pawns try to keep their heads, and programs, above water.
And just like in politics, at some point you’d hope the truth has to prevail. But w/ the ncaa the only variable is money, and as long as that’s the case there’s really NO incentive for them to change or adapt. So...why not play the game that’s drawn, and do the most for your program. #ItIsWhatItIs

The Genie is out of the bottle. Collegiate sports will forever be changed. Professional football is basically the only sport left that has an equal or close to playing field for all teams. The parity that exist in the NFL is what makes it so popular.
College sports have always had inherent issues with parity. At this point any chance of that is about gone. I was hopeful that the FBI investigation would help clean things up. Its counterintuitive but it will actually create more problems.

SU has never had some of the regional advantages that a Miami or USC have, but I'd always hoped that basic fairness was a goal of the organizations that run college sports in particular, and America in general. In light of previous decisions by the NCAA president and organization, theoretically controlled by the Board Of Governors, fairness doesn't seem to be a high-priority consideration. Politics in the NCAA rules their processes. Their wheelhouse varies widely when consistency should be a high-priority item. I'm disappointed with the body as a whole and think something has to change. Who really controls the NCAA? They have some 'splainin' to do...

I'm surprised that this is a surprise. Push back and the NCAA caves, play along and you get disciplined. The system is broke athletically and academically and we all know it. We continue to feed the coffers of what we know is a corrupt outdated system.

SU has never had some of the regional advantages that a Miami or USC have, but I'd always hoped that basic fairness was a goal of the organizations that run college sports in particular, and America in general. In light of previous decisions by the NCAA president and organization, theoretically controlled by the Board Of Governors, fairness doesn't seem to be a high-priority consideration. Politics in the NCAA rules their processes. Their wheelhouse varies widely when consistency should be a high-priority item. I'm disappointed with the body as a whole and think something has to change. Who really controls the NCAA? They have some 'splainin' to do...

$$$

It's time that the NCAA fully embrace the splitting of money.

Coaches, top administrators, NCAA staff, have to split their income evenly with all other staff be it janitors, security, admin processing staff.

Would be fully supportive of this. But it will never, ever happen.

What DeSousa really meant translation:
Give me a break NCAA. I just want to play a few games in the NCAA tourney, put up some numbers, so some NBA GM will draft me in the 1st round and give me my guaranteed millions. I'll say some nice stuff about "my education", but that's a bunch of crap.

Well I kind of think that if your premise is true, which I agree it is, and politics rules the day for the NCAA then why is it not a deficiency at SU as much as anywhere else. I mean the home of the Maxwell School of Government should be ruling the day in an organization as political as the NCAA.

My point I guess is that we all bitch about how wronged we are, but it seems to me there is something lacking from the school that makes this possible.

Of course I may completely off base but wanted to offer a contrary opinion.

Those wins never went away. Just because the NCAA has chosen to ignore them it doesn't mean we have to.
What could the NCAA do if SU ignored them and listed all JB's wins in every way possible? In programs, press releases, etc. Even during games announcers could say the correct number and that the NCAA only recognizes so many. Can they prevent stating the truth?

The Genie is out of the bottle. Collegiate sports will forever be changed. Professional football is basically the only sport left that has an equal or close to playing field for all teams. The parity that exist in the NFL is what makes it so popular.
College sports have always had inherent issues with parity. At this point any chance of that is about gone. I was hopeful that the FBI investigation would help clean things up. Its counterintuitive but it will actually create more problems.
No, gambling is what makes it so popular. Plain and simple.

What could the NCAA do if SU ignored them and listed all JB's wins in every way possible? In programs, press releases, etc. Even during games announcers could say the correct number and that the NCAA only recognizes so many. Can they prevent stating the truth?
Bilas, for one, has done this on broadcasts.