Athletic article on recruiting potential | Syracusefan.com

Athletic article on recruiting potential

syrBossHogg

Living Legend
SU is ranked 69 (nice)

FqtJSw-X0AEJzme

theres clearly talent to be found in NY, Connecticut, Jersey and PA.

Lazy take.

That said we need to do better recruiting and I think we will

Lazy take.
Is it? It depends on what you consider a recruiting footprint, I guess. Section III produces maybe 1 or 2 P5-quality players a year. Expand it to a three hour drive and you have maybe 10 within New York.

It's a real stretch to say Pennsylvania, NJ, or Connecticut are Syracuse's "footprint" just because they're nearby. It's not like Cuse is the first thought of anyone in those states beyond hating Jim Boeheim, unless they're a rich kid who wants to go to Newhouse.

Is it? It depends on what you consider a recruiting footprint, I guess. Section III produces maybe 1 or 2 P5-quality players a year. Expand it to a three hour drive and you have maybe 10 within New York.

It's a real stretch to say Pennsylvania, NJ, or Connecticut are Syracuse's "footprint" just because they're nearby. It's not like Cuse is the first thought of anyone in those states beyond hating Jim Boeheim, unless they're a rich kid who wants to go to Newhouse.

Who was the last 4 star QB to come from the 315 - Mike Paulus? Guy is in his 30s...

Long Island schools are 6- 7 hours away.

Lazy take.

That said we need to do better recruiting and I think we will
Portal recruiting will be good for us, guessing our HS recruiting will continue to be ranked very low. Develop, retain, hit the portal, those are the three things we need to do and we can start being a consistent bowl team

This thread should be pinned so we can "help" posters who think we just need the right recruiter and we'll be competing with Alabama

Also should be pinned for when people want to can dino because we didnt win the natty last year after starting off 6-1 or whatever

This thread should be pinned so we can "help" posters who think we just need the right recruiter and we'll be competing with Alabama
So what exactly, the 2 posters that think that?

I’m not aware of masses clamoring for us to compete with Alabama, but our consistent difficulty competing with P5 peers for HS recruits is warranted criticism.

So what exactly, the 2 posters that think that?

I’m not aware of masses clamoring for us to compete with Alabama, but our consistent difficulty competing with P5 peers for HS recruits is warranted criticism.
Yeah, I was being overly snarky.

In general I think criticism of recruiting is far trickier than people give it credit.

1. They don’t price in the decline in NE HS football
2. They think our peers are different than what they actually are

If they want to criticize the staff after working in our modern reality, good

(And I think the portal has generally worked to alleviate some of the HS issues, thankfully)

The ranking is in line with most of us have been saying for years. There are challenges SU has to face in recruiting that others don't
Indeed, and let’s face it, when you get to number 40, or wherever in that area, the difference between 40 and where SU lands is developing the players. 85.4 average vs 84.4 doesn’t mean a damn thing

We can get better but it won't be an immediate thing. Improvement will need to be incremental. Once HS kids don't see us as a doormat school we should be able to start to get better talent. First, we can't have down years. We need to start with consistent bowls but getting some teams that can challenge for the division every so often. I think this is more doable with the portal. Because we historically have more depth issues, if we have a big hole at one position we should be able to fill it via the portal. But the key will be to keeping a team environment that the players LOVE so they don't want to move on to bigger programs if they are really good. I think Babers is great at this. We also have to show them that they can get to the NFL when playing at Syracuse. That is happening now and needs to continue. But when we have players like Duce and Carter leaving that could get trickier. Then I guess you have to sell that they started at Syracuse and we developed them to the point where they were going to go to the NFL even if they stayed at Syracuse.

This incremental consistent progress is vital for gaining a bigger, younger fan base as well. I love keeping Babers because the consistency is key. If we can keep having solid assistants and bringing in QB's with potential and developing them I think this could work.

Indeed, and let’s face it, when you get to number 40, or wherever in that area, the difference between 40 and where SU lands is developing the players. 85.4 average vs 84.4 doesn’t mean a damn thing
Generally speaking in the last class, we missed out on a number of HS kids that our peers wanted and ended up adding very lightly recruited kids towards the end of the cycle. If you land the kids you target first, it’s a more efficient recruiting effort than having to scour for developmental projects later and it frees you up to focus on the next class. I feel like we miss so often on our initial target groups that we’re perpetually playing catch-up.

Generally speaking in the last class, we missed out on a number of HS kids that our peers wanted and ended up adding very lightly recruited kids towards the end of the cycle. If you land the kids you target first, it’s a more efficient recruiting effort than having to scour for developmental projects later and it frees you up to focus on the next class. I feel like we miss so often on our initial target groups that we’re perpetually playing catch-up.
No question you are correct on that, especially this last class.

Yup for sure. And how do we do we get that first group or recruits? That comes with a better program perception via consistent winning seasons. When we've had good seasons we've been derailed the following season. After Marrone and Nassib left we crashed back down. After Dungey left the combination of Devito and a bad OL proved to be too devastating. We need to find a way to at least stay a bowl team for several years in a row.

Last edited:
We can get better but it won't be an immediate thing. Improvement will need to be incremental. Once HS kids don't see us as a doormat school we should be able to start to get better talent. First, we can't have down years. We need to start with consistent bowls but getting some teams that can challenge for the division every so often. I think this is more doable with the portal. Because we historically have more depth issues, if we have a big hole at one position we should be able to fill it via the portal. But the key will be to keeping a team environment that the players LOVE so they don't want to move on to bigger programs if they are really good. I think Babers is great at this. We also have to show them that they can get to the NFL when playing at Syracuse. That is happening now and needs to continue. But when we have players like Duce and Carter leaving that could get trickier. Then I guess you have to sell that they started at Syracuse and we developed them to the point where they were going to go to the NFL even if they stayed at Syracuse.

This incremental consistent progress is vital for gaining a bigger, younger fan base as well. I love keeping Babers because the consistency is key. If we can keep having solid assistants and bringing in QB's with potential and developing them I think this could work.
We need to have players like Dungey, and Shrader who are visable are winning games every year.
We need to always have a backup QB who can come in and win a few games.
Winning every year will fix the recruiting.

We need to have players like Dungey, and Shrader who are visable are winning games every year.
We need to always have a backup QB who can come in and win a few games.
Winning every year will fix the recruiting.
I think the backup QB issue is the area that is most mitigated by the portal.

Who was the last 4 star QB to come from the 315 - Mike Paulus? Guy is in his 30s...

Long Island schools are 6- 7 hours away.
Ok so it’s not in our backyard but I used to go visit my gf while in college over the summer and i could make it to Oceanside on 4.5 hrs. 6-7 is a little exaggeration.

Ok so it’s not in our backyard but I used to go visit my gf while in college over the summer and i could make it to Oceanside on 4.5 hrs. 6-7 is a little exaggeration.

You drive really fast, or my car in college was really slow :)

Strawman argument, All I want is to improve to be able to recruit to compete with NC State or a Minnesota or a South Carolina, not Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State
All three of the schools you mention are way bigger/easier to recruit to programs. Would be nice but highly unlikely. It’s the Catch 22, our best chance to improve recruiting is to win consistently but until then we will likely be ranked very low so how do we win consistently by being ranked very low? Hopefully being last in terms of high school recruiting can improve somewhat but for the most part we have to develop kids, keep them at SU when they do develop and we need to hit the portal hard for higher end talent that gets stuck on the bench. Much easier to bring in higher end guys that way. High end high school kids all think they will start right away at the powerhouse programs so they have no reason to come to SU until realizing we are a path to playing time

Also should be pinned for when people want to can dino because we didnt win the natty last year after starting off 6-1 or whatever

Oh stop. People have wanted to can him because his record after November is atrocious, his record against the ACC isn’t great, and his overall record not only wouldn’t keep him employed anywhere else but nobody would hire him as a HC if he left here. Nobody is looking to can him b/c we didn’t win the natty. Ridiculous take.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom