Athlon Way Too Early Top 25 for 2019 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Athlon Way Too Early Top 25 for 2019

Completely missed the point...

We have one season in the past 17 years where we have been ranked.

How have our recruiting rankings been? Are they top 25 worthy? Over the past how many years?

They view us as a 1-hit wonder at this point.

Other that 2018, what can we hang our hat on? VT was ranked this year, last year, the year before that and Nebraska was ranked recently as well.

Like I said, it’s lazy.

As another has observed, I will see Athlon in Hell, but I'm really not concerned.

We'll be ranked in the Top 25 in the polls.

If not, we're not losing early on next season, so we have an easy path to get back in.

Another one. This one from CBS. They have Syracuse moving up one spot but still ranked behind West Virginia, who they just beat badly head to head. West Virginia played a weaker schedule and had a worse record. Penn State gets embarrassed by Kentucky and doesn’t move. Notre Dame gets destroyed and doesn’t move. Are you kidding me?

College Football Rankings

That’s the coaches poll from before the bowls. CBS updated the records is all.

Good. Motivation.

Going to take another top 25 year, to gain more respect. Top 40 should mean they expect about 8 wins. 9 with a bowl win. Best pre-Babers year since 2001.

Only 2 teams in the ACC in the top 25. Virginia and Cuse in the top 40... No FSU, no Miami...I kinda like that.

Normally I’d agree but honestly starting the season so low means that if we make it to the late part of the season with only 1 loss we are virtually guaranteed to be the lowest ranked 1 loss p5 team. If we are undefeated 6 or 7 games in we will be the lowest ranked undefeated team. We might have big name 1 loss schools ahead of us. Our schedule isn’t that good and there won’t be a late season OOC game again like we had this year.

As another has observed, I will see Athlon in Hell, but I'm really not concerned.

We'll be ranked in the Top 25 in the polls.

If not, we're not losing early on next season, so we have an easy path to get back in.
Maryland is a big potential stumbling block. They should’ve beat Ohio state this year.

I watched that game, and given that the MD game is early in the season, it's a stumbling block.
You watched a game that MD played with a coaching staff that was fired and no longer there.

Their new coach has a .088 winning percentage with 3 wins total in his career. Great recruiter, can't coach.

I am guessing that you missed that and don't follow CFB as closely as some on this board do.

I could be wrong though.

It is going to the beating of a lifetime, because Babers is cool and Locksley drools.

I will fight people.
6FC55375-1A27-4E5D-A5FF-DFDBC7576C00.gif

You watched a game that MD played with a coaching staff that was fired and no longer there.

Their new coach has a .088 winning percentage with 3 wins total in his career. Great recruiter, can't coach.

I am guessing that you missed that and don't follow CFB as closely as some on this board do.

I could be wrong though.
Yes, you could be wrong, The players (who matter) are mostly still there.

I could be wrong though.

Does the coach have a strong arm or something? Didn’t they beat UT without a head coach.

The fact that it’s a P5 road game should be enough to keep people from chalking it up automatically. The kids who will be on the other side of the los thoroughly outplayed Ohio State and Texas. The coach with the bad winning percentage wasn’t coaching kids who outplayed Ohio st and Texas the year before when he lost all those games. It will be a tough one I don’t see why they won’t bring it and play their best sure if it’s the week before or after they play Ohio st or Michigan you might get a let down but week 2 that’s unlikely. I hope it’s not windy and rainy.

Does the coach have a strong arm or something? Didn’t they beat UT without a head coach.

The fact that it’s a P5 road game should be enough to keep people from chalking it up automatically. The kids who will be on the other side of the los thoroughly outplayed Ohio State and Texas. The coach with the bad winning percentage wasn’t coaching kids who outplayed Ohio st and Texas the year before when he lost all those games. It will be a tough one I don’t see why they won’t bring it and play their best sure if it’s the week before or after they play Ohio st or Michigan you might get a let down but week 2 that’s unlikely. I hope it’s not windy and rainy.
Stop. Just stop.

They're going to be a disorganized mess because that's what Locksley is.

My kingdom for a comma.

OK. If they were so good in 2018, they should have kept their coach.

Instead, they chose to go in a different direction which doesn't usually bode well in the first year of a coaching change.

TX has had better talent than most teams for the past 7-8 years and have sucked until this year because of coaching.

UMD doesn't have the talent of TX and can't afford bad coaching which they hired for next year.

Stop. Just stop.

They're going to be a disorganized mess because that's what Locksley is.

They were a mess this year and had some impressive performances. It’s a P5 road game.

My kingdom for a comma.

OK. If they were so good in 2018, they should have kept their coach.

Instead, they chose to go in a different direction which doesn't usually bode well in the first year of a coaching change.

TX has had better talent than most teams for the past 7-8 years and have sucked until this year because of coaching.

UMD doesn't have the talent of TX and can't afford bad coaching which they hired for next year.

Their coach got fired for killing a kid. They will be playing for someone who didn’t kill one of their teammates.

You think they have no shot just because the coach couldn’t win at New Mexico where no one wins?

Their coach got fired for killing a kid. They will be playing for someone who didn’t kill one of their teammates.

You think they have no shot just because the coach couldn’t win at New Mexico where no one wins?

OK, you win.

They are gonna be awesome, new head coach, new assistant coaches, new system. Awesome leadership that was going to retain the coach that killed a kid, then changed their mind because of a fan base that said "holy crap they are gonna retain a killer".

So they stayed with a good coach Matt Canada who they canned for a coach with a .088 record.

I would bet the farm on them.

No one? Funny, the guy he replaced at New Mexico, Rocky Long, won a lot there actually and then Locksley ran them into the ground. All while punching out an assistant coach and being sued for age and sex discrimination.

Check out New Mexico this century:

New Mexico Lobos Football Record By Year | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Locksley belongs in a special category of bad that few coaches, even at New Mexico, belong. His only recent peer would be Mike Sheppard who, while horribly awful and who rightfully never got another head coaching gig, did manage to cobble together a .152 winning percentage out of his flaccid time at New Mexico, nearly double that of Locksley.

I watched that game, and given that the MD game is early in the season, it's a stumbling block.

Agreed in principle, though I'd call it a potential "hiccup game" ( a game we would likely win if later in the season) due mostly to it being the second of two road games to start the season and the staff and system having to adjust to certain changes like a new QB and a retooled OL. If we win it, and win it convincingly I think we go 10-2 or 11-1 depending upon the Clemson game. We will lose one ACC road game.

Cheers,
Neil

Agreed in principle, though I'd call it a potential "hiccup game" ( a game we would likely win if later in the season) due mostly to it being the second of two road games to start the season and the staff and system having to adjust to certain changes like a new QB and a retooled OL. If we win it, and win it convincingly I think we go 10-2 or 11-1 depending upon the Clemson game. We will lose one ACC road game.

Cheers,
Neil
Opening the season with 2 games on the road, and a new QB, is usually a tough proposition. Hopefully we go 2-0, and get back to the Dome for a few games.