Attendance this weekend | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Attendance this weekend

Correct, it is not due to one "type" of fan. Local, student, out of towner.

But even winning wont be a cure all until other changes that some people poo poo are made.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Agree with your first sentence. Pretty much sums it up.

The second sentence is too cryptic for me (or I'm dense) so I'm assuming it's a shot at TGD. So I disagree there.

Too much reliance on "the townie fan". They've been carrying the fanbase for a while. Time for alums to step up to the plate... which is part of why this game in in NYC metro. Gotta generate excitement for alums. Could backfire though with a poor showing...hope that does not happen.

The townie fan has to carry the fanbase though. Syracuse has a small alumni base and none of them live in or around Syracuse. (and you've noticed how small the student sections are every year right?)

It's not like Michigan where a high percentage of the grads live within 2/4 hours.

Think macro, not micro. Instant gratification isn't always the answer.

I think TGD has a very unique situation which not many other universities have to deal with. We aren't a state school. We don't have state wide support. We are a private school with a very good local support in CNY (great for bball) and a sizable chunk of his alumni base in the metro area, 4 hours away from campus. He's clearly trying to appease/keep a connection with some of those alums through games like these. As an alum, I appreciate that and maybe it adds a bit more to my yearly donation. I get what he's doing and clearly it's not going to make the locals happy, but I get what he's doing.

I have no problem with it as long as he doesn't start taking conference games off campus (which I don't foresee). The good folks in CNY are going to see a major schedule upgrade beginning next year, which hopefully will keep the complaining to a minimum for those games we do play at Met Life.

Not sure what the recent history is - bad teams no fans? USC is #2 and a glamour program (or renegade) whichever, and Syracuse showed a pulse last weekend, I think the Dome would've been sold out. I think way more casual fans would've been there. Who knows though - you're probably right.

Notre Dame hit 48,000 in 2003.

Florida State was barely over 40,000 in 2004.

Cinci was a Top 5 team in 2009 ... 33,800.

Agree with your first sentence. Pretty much sums it up.

The second sentence is too cryptic for me (or I'm dense) so I'm assuming it's a shot at TGD. So I disagree there.

I think it's a shot about where this game is being played. Might have some parking lot leveled for academic building mixed in as well, not sure.

Hopefully after this week all the locals will get over the NYC thing. Because it may not come up in this way ever again (regardless of what TGD said about a NYC long term deal back when we thought we were still stuck in the bottom feeding, completely uninteresting, Big East).

The PSU series is still on, but it's fair. How one feels about playing the Peds is a completely separate topic.

The ND series is still on, but that was always about whether or not we wanted to play ND at all, not about moving Dome games.

Beyond that, as an ACC team, I would expect more deals like PSU if we continue the NYC route. We're in a league of grown ups starting next year.

Oh, and I think improved play and an ACC schedule will bring the fans back, even if many are replacements for those who walked away. Just need 45k average or upward, doesn't matter who they are or if they were there before.

Beyond that, as an ACC team, I would expect more deals like PSU if we continue the NYC route. We're in a league of grown ups starting next year.

I would like to see us play middle of the pack BCS teams home and away opposite the 5-4 ACC conf games. So every year we have 5 BCS home games and 5 BCS road games. Then a 1AA at home to get to 6. That leaves one game to be scheduled and I would like that to be a "home" at Metlife against a major program. As a fan I think that would be the perfect schedule. That makes just about every week exciting and we should be able to get 6 Ws even if we are mediocre.

USC would have brought very little to a game at the Dome.. it would have all been locals.. winning last week would have juiced the crowd, losing wouldnt have helped,

And that is supposed to impress anyone? Pretty pathetic that it wouldnt be sold out for a top 5 team. Instead it will be 5k less 4 hours from campus and TGD will be cashing a fat check right after the games over. Sounds like he knows what he's doing.

Its not pathetic that the NYC fan base who has been clamoring for years that they come out better then the locals and has constantly ripped them on this board cant even get a dome sized crowd for there first NYC area game in a decade against the #2 team in the country??? Talk about pathetic.

USC would have brought very little to a game at the Dome.. it would have all been locals.. winning last week would have juiced the crowd, losing wouldnt have helped,

Agree, people like us saw an up tempo productive offense capable of winning games, and mental mistakes/giveaways that led to NW points. For the moment, there's the hope that the former continues and the latter is corrected.

But I'm sure to a great deal of SU fans, it's just another loss in a long run of SU teams that lose more than they win.

SU fans like an event, but not an event where they think we don't stand a chance.

Isn't this argument a moot point though? I seem to recall Rahme saying in his Q & A that this home/home doesn't even happen w/o the MetLife agreement.

Isn't this argument a moot point though? I seem to recall Rahme saying in his Q & A that this home/home doesn't even happen w/o the MetLife agreement.

The USC game was signed as a home and home at the dome and later moved to NYC.

So TGD lied when he announced that USC was coming to the Dome?

This is a really tough issue. First, I think it's horribly disrespectful to fans to take these games out of the dome.

On the other hand, SU is trying to not only bring disenchanted fans back, but also to expand the fan base. And playing in, and winning over, the tri state area is certainly one way to do that. My preference would have been to wait until we are a bit better. Not sure you win over people with losses.

Gross also needs to justify his marketing efforts in NYC.

Wouldn't be able to answer that...just thought I recalled that response from Rahme in the recent Q & A

The townie fan has to carry the fanbase though. Syracuse has a small alumni base and none of them live in or around Syracuse. (and you've noticed how small the student sections are every year right?)

It's not like Michigan where a high percentage of the grads live within 2/4 hours.
State schools like Michigan are different animals. They draw people because they live in the state. It's "their" school. That's true of Syracuse too but only for the people in CNY. That fills about 1/2 the dome. Developing a devoted fanbase outside of CNY will decrease the pressure on "the towny" presence. Sure, winning will change that and the fair-weather CNYers will want to join in...just like they did in the 90s. They can then duke it out with our newly acquired rabid fanbase from outside the CNY area for seats.

That's the bottom line. The location of this game is about marketing (fans and recruits) to under-tapped market. To be successful though, wins must be a part of the equation. Success in drawing fans from this market will not just translate to more fans at a game in/near NYC but at the dome as well.
HCDM said that there will be a lot of recruits in attendance since it's considered a home game for us. It's another step in the campaign to win the hearts of NYC area kids. They will have easy access to the program and see their friends playing on the big stage. This is part of the seed planting that the program has invested in. BTW, Marrone said he can't talk to the recruits but there is nothing prohibiting the players from talking to their friends.;)

This is a really tough issue. First, I think it's horribly disrespectful to fans to take these games out of the dome.

On the other hand, SU is trying to not only bring disenchanted fans back, but also to expand the fan base. And playing in, and winning over, the tri state area is certainly one way to do that. My preference would have been to wait until we are a bit better. Not sure you win over people with losses.

So next year's Penn State game in NYC is perfect.

1. Not losing a home game (3 game series, 1 at each school, 1 in NYC).
2. Winnable. This isn't 2008 for either school.
3. Marketable. Won't be closing off the upper deck for the Ped army.

Win football games. Fans will show up wherever they play if they get back to a Pasqualoni level. See: Basketball road attendance
Exactly. I have been to SU games at Giants' stadium (UW in '97 and GT in '01). Both had solid turnouts, iirc.

Its not pathetic that the NYC fan base who has been clamoring for years that they come out better then the locals and has constantly ripped them on this board cant even get a dome sized crowd for there first NYC area game in a decade against the #2 team in the country??? Talk about pathetic.
Actually, if we get 28k tomorrow, that IS a "Dome-sized" crowd.

To whom? You? Me? Other fans? I assume he gets his budget approved by the BOT, so they would be the ones to ask for justification - not the fans.

Locals vs. Students.

Locals vs. NYC fans.

Locals vs. SU in general.

Lots of battles going on here lately.

Will you stop with this.

There has been ONE guy on the site saying this stuff. And he just likes to get a rise out of folks who never, ever cease to engage with him over it.

Let's throw some facts into this discussion. I know, God forbid...

In 1997 we played Wisconsin in the Kickoff Classic and drew 51,185 to the old Giants Stadium. If I recall correctly, Wisconsin traveled a large contingent to that game, probably because they thought Ron Dayne was on his way to a Heisman that year (until we knocked the hell out of him, man that was great).

In 2001 we played Georgia Tech in the Kickoff Classic and drew 41,517 to the Meadowlands. If I recall correctly, Georgia Tech traveled next to no one, their turnout was awful.

In 2010 we played Kansas State in the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium and drew 38,274. Kansas State had a decent little turnout for a minor bowl a couple thousand miles from home.

For all three of these games I think the SU turnout was in the 25K range. Rest of the crowds were our opponents fans and a mix of corporate types, and random lookee-loos.

If we draw a Pinstripe-ish 38-40K tomorrow I suspect that allocation would be similar: 25K SU fans, 5K USC fans and the rest just looking for something to do on a Saturday afternoon.

So my point is that I'm not sure the NYC-area football fan turnout has really changed much in years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom