Attendance tidbit | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Attendance tidbit

By trying to reconcile that crowd with the announced # of sales, you are essentially celebrating the fact that an unusually high # of people bought tickets and didn't show up.

I don't see anything to celebrate about that.

Except for the student section, there weren't wholesale no shows. And no matter what number were in the seats, it is still more than almost amy school draws for any game. There is no way anyone can complain about Dome attendance for basketball. Our worst crowds are better than mosts best crowds. And this is Syracuse, not some huge metro area. Your complaint is baseless and without any fact or merit.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Full of fact and merit, but you're on your crusade, so be it.

the school basicaly told all fans to skip this game and get ready for saturdays tilt.

i cant really fault the fans for obeying big brother.

the Dome will likely have more people for gtown than who show for football on a saturday too...

Oh Lord

Nobody told people not to go and obey big brother. And people went. 3rd largest non-SU game of the year. Not bad for little old Syracuse. Imagine MSG completely filled. More went than that.

the school basicaly told all fans to skip this game and get ready for saturdays tilt.

i cant really fault the fans for obeying big brother.

the Dome will likely have more people for gtown than who show for football on a saturday too...

Oh Lord
Why are you always so negative?

Last night was freaking cold for someone who doesnt own a winter coat. Walking back to the car (or in my case running back) was brutal.
No complaining Marsh. I know the reason you just put on a windbreaker is to toughen yourself up for early spring golf. :D

And so are our Alaskan brethren in the land of polar bears and endless night. One day we'll see a couple of sled dog teams pull up to the Dome for an ACC game. I have no doubt about it. ;)
that should be staged for a national tv game v unc or dook next year.

get budweiser to do it. and when the sled dog gets there, make it like 'hotdog' and have the sled be full of cases of bud to hand out to the students in line waiting to get in.

'yeah, its cold. we're here. we're going to make ourselves comfortable in your house so, welcome to the Dome. youre going to lose. wer'e drunk. F you. wheres the pee trough??...'

Oh Lord

No complaining Marsh. I know the reason you just put on a windbreaker is to toughen yourself up for early spring golf. :D

Ha. no boubt!

Superstitious. My wife was saying how I was crazy to not at least wear a long sleeve windbreaker. I told her I was not going to be responsible for breaking the home court winning streak by changing it up now. Bad enough Dasher screwed up and we lost the game.

Not enough PBRs during the weeknight games to keep you warm?

Problem was I went for a run before leaving for the dome and then quick showered and went up so spending 50 minutes in the cold prior to heading up was not the best idea I have had.

Nobody told people not to go and obey big brother. And people went. 3rd largest non-SU game of the year. Not bad for little old Syracuse. Imagine MSG completely filled. More went than that.

hey im not faulting the locals at all for last night, it never occured to me to even think that way. not even sure why attendence is being discussed today, other than to bash the students who skipped it again.

its funny, people here make fun of bc and their student attendence, but they actually have a better winter alternative and they show up in droves for that. :noidea:

Oh Lord

hey im not faulting the locals at all for last night, it never occured to me to even think that way. not even sure why attendence is being discussed today, other than to bash the students who skipped it again.

its funny, people here make fun of bc and their student attendence, but they actually have a better winter alternative and they show up in droves for that. :noidea:

Oh Lord

I didn't mention students either until someone wanted to talk no shows. The only intent of my OP was to put into perspective SU basketball attendance for those who say the attendance sucks. We are spoiled.

Last time I checked, Syracuse doesn't compare its crowds to NBA teams or other college teams.

We compare attendance to our own, and this was another in a line of poor showings. I don't understand the eagerness to apologize for the drop in attendance.

Last time I checked, Syracuse doesn't compare its crowds to NBA teams or other college teams.

We compare attendance to our own, and this was another in a line of poor showings. I don't understand the eagerness to apologize for the drop in attendance.

Also, while the comparison is still silly, I'm not sure where the "two non-SU games" comes from. Kentucky, for one, has drawn a larger crowd than last night 6 times this season.

You're right I don't care about how others support the team. I can't control them I can only control how I support the team. The extent of my worrying about what others do and think about SU basketball is reserved for this board.

That's an absolutely fair and mature way to thing about things. And it's refreshing to hear.

But it's also a separate issue from whether a.) last night's crowd was a good one, and b.) this season's attendance hasn't been disappointing.

Except for the student section, there weren't wholesale no shows. And no matter what number were in the seats, it is still more than almost amy school draws for any game. There is no way anyone can complain about Dome attendance for basketball. Our worst crowds are better than mosts best crowds. And this is Syracuse, not some huge metro area. Your complaint is baseless and without any fact or merit.

So are Lexington, Louisville, Chapel Hill, Bloomington, East Lansing, Provo, and a slew of other college towns with big arenas. Not only is this a false comparison, but a lot of what's being offered as fact isn't even true.

That's an absolutely fair and mature way to thing about things. And it's refreshing to hear.

But it's also a separate issue from whether a.) last night's crowd was a good one, and b.) this season's attendance hasn't been disappointing.

Do I have your permission to print this out? My fanship of SU basketball has never been called mature and I want to show my wife this!

On a side note, I find it hard to judge a crowd in the Dome based on television coverage. The crowd noise always sounds quieter on tv than most other venues. Plus most games the lower level which is seen the most on tv is fairly full.

Do I have your permission to print this out? My fanship of SU basketball has never been called mature and I want to show my wife this!

On a side note, I find it hard to judge a crowd in the Dome based on television coverage. The crowd noise always sounds quieter on tv than most other venues. Plus most games the lower level which is seen the most on tv is fairly full.

In a couple more years, I hope to reach that level. In the meantime, I'm going to wear the same shirt until we lose, personally insult the referees when they blow an easy foul call, and generally fall far short of maturity.

TV crowd noise is a funny thing. ESPN's games usually sound quiet (except when the Oklahoma State kid hit that three last night). CBS must mike the place a lot better, because it usually sounds like a madhouse in the Dome on their broadcasts.

Last night wasn't very loud in person, but the play on the court was probably the most enjoyable of the year.

the legend of marsh continues, he lives in syracuse and doesnt own a winter jacket

I think if you are going to have an argument about attendance you have to look at average attendance vs. capacity as well as largest attendance numbers. I don't have time because I am at work, but if you check out those two things most schools near the top usually are close to a sell out based on average attendance which is pretty awesome. While our attendance numbers are obviously amazing, they usually do not touch a near capacity type number even though there really is no "capacity" for the dome in basketball. What if Kentucky, Wisconsin, Indiana, or a team like that had a 30,000 seat arena?

The student section was abysmal yesterday. Luckily yesterday the team played great, fun to watch live when they play like that. If the students fill in that section like they did against Cincinnati this year it is a whole different dome. They forced a turnover early in the game by fast counting and then slow counting the shot clock, it was funny and effective. There is no excuse for them to not be there and it is a shame. If I and others can rush out of work and climb up the hill they can certainly put on some skinny jeans and vest combo and join the rest of us.

I think if you are going to have an argument about attendance you have to look at average attendance vs. capacity as well as largest attendance numbers. I don't have time because I am at work, but if you check out those two things most schools near the top usually are close to a sell out based on average attendance which is pretty awesome. While our attendance numbers are obviously amazing, they usually do not touch a near capacity type number even though there really is no "capacity" for the dome in basketball. What if Kentucky, Wisconsin, Indiana, or a team like that had a 30,000 seat arena?

The student section was abysmal yesterday. Luckily yesterday the team played great, fun to watch live when they play like that. If the students fill in that section like they did against Cincinnati this year it is a whole different dome. They forced a turnover early in the game by fast counting and then slow counting the shot clock, it was funny and effective. There is no excuse for them to not be there and it is a shame. If I and others can rush out of work and climb up the hill they can certainly put on some skinny jeans and vest combo and join the rest of us.

Maybe skip the skinny jeans...

100 percent true. I'm curious what the draw is for people that live an hour or more away. It's tough for those folks to make it on a weeknight.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Haven't had a vacancy for a conference game in my four seats in over 20 years. And the trip back to Binghamton on 81 south usually has a good number of orange decals and bumper stickers. Have to admit we miss a few non-cons early season particularly when there are back to back "less attractive" opponents.

So are Lexington, Louisville, Chapel Hill, Bloomington, East Lansing, Provo, and a slew of other college towns with big arenas. Not only is this a false comparison, but a lot of what's being offered as fact isn't even true.

You are right about UK as I did not look at all their ealier games against lesser teams. They have drawn 24k 6 times but only once in the last 3. So UK draws better. They don't even sell out all the time. The rest of those places we draw better and yes capacity has something to do with it maybe. But the point is, when SU almost always outdraws everyone on any given night and is in the top 3 in attendance every year, I don't get the complaining. Even though armory can't see, doesn't mean there were only 15k last night. When a city the size of Syracuse in the dead of winter is drawring anything over 20k, there is zero reason to complain. 99% of the schools wish they had our problem. And we outdraw all those other places you mention too.

Since when did we start believing the farce that is the announced attendance #s? Only about 15k of those 24k were actually physically there.

15k? LOL. Since you're so good with estimating attnedance, what does 26K go to?

In a couple more years, I hope to reach that level. In the meantime, I'm going to wear the same shirt until we lose, personally insult the referees when they blow an easy foul call, and generally fall far short of maturity.

Wait a second, my mature anonymous message board posting cancels out all those things you listed, right?

Full of fact and merit, but you're on your crusade, so be it.

What crusade? To point out that our crowds are better than people claim when put in perspective? Looks like most here agree with me. 99.5% of the schools wish they had our attendance problems.

You are right about UK as I did not look at all their ealier games against lesser teams. They have drawn 24k 6 times but only once in the last 3. So UK draws better. They don't even sell out all the time. The rest of those places we draw better and yes capacity has something to do with it maybe. But the point is, when SU almost always outdraws everyone on any given night and is in the top 3 in attendance every year, I don't get the complaining. Even though armory can't see, doesn't mean there were only 15k last night. When a city the size of Syracuse in the dead of winter is drawring anything over 20k, there is zero reason to complain. 99% of the schools wish they had our problem. And we outdraw all those other places you mention too.

We do outdraw all the places other than Kentucky (and they're special - considerably smaller than Syracuse but they're at like 98% capacity). We outdraw Louisville, which is about two times larger than Syracuse.

For many of the others, though, we're a larger city with a building that's 50-100% bigger than theirs. And we're down from last year by about 1,300 fans per game, down below 2007 and 2008 to the level that we saw in the late-'90s and early-'00s.

There's no need to tag this as "pathetic" or say that our fans stink, but it is a bit disappointing because we are a very successful team and we're drawing more like a team that sends DeShaun and Celuk out there. It's very difficult to reconcile that with the idea that this season's attendance should be celebrated.