Attendance tidbit | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Attendance tidbit

that should be staged for a national tv game v unc or dook next year.

get budweiser to do it. and when the sled dog gets there, make it like 'hotdog' and have the sled be full of cases of bud to hand out to the students in line waiting to get in.

'yeah, its cold. we're here. we're going to make ourselves comfortable in your house so, welcome to the Dome. youre going to lose. wer'e drunk. F you. wheres the pee trough??...'

Oh Lord
No game, for at least 25 years, should sell more tickets than this one. This is our most bitter and hated rivals. F Dook! F UNC! Who the F do they think they are.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Living 2800 miles away from Syracuse...I dont really have a comment other that to repeat what some of my family/friends that live in the area have said and I agree with.

We've been spoiled with the Andy, AO, Wes, Ricky, Scoop, etc types the last couple of years...bottom line, the team isn't very likable and that can result in lower attendance.

the legend of marsh continues, he lives in syracuse and doesnt own a winter jacket

Marsh used to walk to school barefoot, in 6-foot snow drifts, up a hill, pulling his mom's car and out running a hungry Yeti. Five Hour Energy took a sample of his blood and made it a less potent blend for amateur consumption.

What crusade? To point out that our crowds are better than people claim when put in perspective? Looks like most here agree with me. 99.5% of the schools wish they had our attendance problems.
Anyone actually going to the game that has a pair of eyes can see the attendance trend developing. Lying to yourself and pointing to statistical lies isn't going to change it.

If every other program started to see a consistent drop in their real attendance they would be happy? What are you smoking?

You want perspective? How about the football program? Looks like most here agree with me that we'd like to have our own problems that we had 10 years ago. Or should we just wait until that happens to realize the trend?

The decision to drop the Youth Ticket age from 18 to 12 will prevent any attempt by Syracuse to recapture the attendance crown from Kentucky. A few years from now when my niece and nephew are hitting their teens it would be impossible to attend more than a game or two. We will still have our recrod breaking moments in the ACC but the mass of humanity at games I was fortunate to grow up with are becoming a thing of the past and its quite sad. I have season tickets now and attend every game and while I know other programs would love to have our problem I do not feel we should sit back and not be proactive in trying to go for the attendance crown.

The decision to drop the Youth Ticket age from 18 to 12
One of many examples of bad policy.

I will say that the addition of massive parking garages right up near the Dome is a welcome change ... just would be nice to still need them when they are finally finished. Though they will reallllly need to get together with the City to figure out the traffic problem at that point, because it is already reaching breaking point.

One thing that bothers me a bit is when people are getting up to leave with 5, 6, sometimes as much as 8 or even 12 minutes of gametime remaining! ... but anyone that has parked on the south side can understand why.

... which brings up another thing that's been driving me nuts ... THE TRAFFIC COPS ARE MAKING TRAFFIC MUCH MUCH WORSE. Re-arranging all existing, natural traffic patterns then funneling everyone onto the same streets is the opposite of traffic control. When there are equally big turnouts for pre-conference games where the cops stay home, it's amazing to see how quickly traffic moves with the trivially simple "alternate" common sense. It's insulting to pretend like these cops are providing a service when it's obvious they're only there to scoop up easy overtime hours, and/or pump their pension.

I will say that the addition of massive parking garages right up near the Dome is a welcome change ... just would be nice to still need them when they are finally finished. Though they will reallllly need to get together with the City to figure out the traffic problem at that point, because it is already reaching breaking point.

One thing that bothers me a bit is when people are getting up to leave with 5, 6, sometimes as much as 8 or even 12 minutes of gametime remaining! ... but anyone that has parked on the south side can understand why.

... which brings up another thing that's been driving me nuts ... THE TRAFFIC COPS ARE MAKING TRAFFIC MUCH MUCH WORSE. Re-arranging all existing, natural traffic patterns then funneling everyone onto the same streets is the opposite of traffic control. When there are equally big turnouts for pre-conference games where the cops stay home, it's amazing to see how quickly traffic moves with the trivially simple "alternate" common sense. It's insulting to pretend like these cops are providing a service when it's obvious they're only there to scoop up easy overtime hours, and/or pump their pension.

I always wondered what those traffic cops would do if I just decided to go my own way and not where they directed me. I have a feeling nothing, since any action would require them to leave their "post."

It was very much a compliment but also a reality check (with sarcasm) to those that always say the crowd sucks when the attendance is in the low 20's. The curse of playing in a 50k seat stadium. If we played in an arena that sat 10-20k like 99% of the schools do, we'd always be sold out with no complaints at all about crowd size.

Sent using my Commodore 64

a damned if u do damned if u dont type scenario.

its easy to say that we've only been outdrawn twice this season... but does any other school or pro team have an official capacity of 23,717?

impossible to predict, but my guess is uk would sell out 30k every game.

I always wondered what those traffic cops would do if I just decided to go my own way and not where they directed me. I have a feeling nothing, since any action would require them to leave their "post."
I actually did do that once, would've saved me at least 10 minutes the way it was set up if I were to have taken a (legal) left turn at a certain intersection they decided for no apparent reason to divert in the opposite direction. The guy flipped out, jumped in front of my car, yelled at me for quite awhile repeatedly demanding I not "disobey the cones". For the ~5 min duration of his power-trip he ignored all the other traffic (aka his job) and eventually threatened me with jail time. I you not. His justification was that my inspection was overdue , which it was... by 2 days! True story.

Cop was easily 300 lbs and in his 50s. Probably getting paid $50/hr to stand next to some cones, wave a baton, and shout threats @ anyone that might want to make it home in under 30 minutes. Sometimes there are reasons for the stereotypes.

Anyone actually going to the game that has a pair of eyes can see the attendance trend developing. Lying to yourself and pointing to statistical lies isn't going to change it.

If every other program started to see a consistent drop in their real attendance they would be happy? What are you smoking?

You want perspective? How about the football program? Looks like most here agree with me that we'd like to have our own problems that we had 10 years ago. Or should we just wait until that happens to realize the trend?

Bur of course my thread has nothing to do with attendance being down, up or sideways.

We'll still be TOP 2-3 in the COUNTRY.

GREAT job CNY!!!

Last time I checked, Syracuse doesn't compare its crowds to NBA teams or other college teams.

We compare attendance to our own, and this was another in a line of poor showings. I don't understand the eagerness to apologize for the drop in attendance.

I think this logic is somewhat flawed. To compare our attendance this year to what we drew in the 80's or 90's isn't really a fair comparisson. Fans have so many more options today - and, more importantly - all the games are televised today. All games weren't televised as recently as 2003 which was one of the main reasons the final home game for Melo drew such a large crowd. Comparing our attendance figures with our peers (including the NBA) is probably the best way to determine how we are doing since our peers have experienced the same changes over the years. My 2 cents.

not to mention on a bitterly cold, frigid artic like night. People here need to stop complaining about the crowds. I mean really. They see these other teams on the tube against some sort of rival and its pretty intense. Newsflash when we play one of our (Gtown, Lvill, Uconn, ND) it's similarly intense.

Thanks for the perspective. Man it was (and still is) nasty cold last night.

that's one thing that sucks about he dome. it's so cavernous. games of other teams on the tube look so great because the arenas are freaking tiny and everyone is on top of the court.

Except for the student section, there weren't wholesale no shows. And no matter what number were in the seats, it is still more than almost amy school draws for any game. There is no way anyone can complain about Dome attendance for basketball. Our worst crowds are better than mosts best crowds. And this is Syracuse, not some huge metro area. Your complaint is baseless and without any fact or merit.

Exactly. Last nights pathetic crowd would have been capacity at home many arenas, 100?

Traffic cops really do make things worse; it's really disappointing that someone is paying them to be out there doing an inferior job to traffic signals.

And what's with the on-street parking on Irving? Is it true that the cops who close it down allow their friends and colleagues to park on that block for free (one of the mods, I think, pointed this out once: it's always full of cars despite being closed)?

If that's really going on, that's disgraceful. If Post-Standard writers actually read this page, there's something worth looking into.

I think this logic is somewhat flawed. To compare our attendance this year to what we drew in the 80's or 90's isn't really a fair comparisson. Fans have so many more options today - and, more importantly - all the games are televised today. All games weren't televised as recently as 2003 which was one of the main reasons the final home game for Melo drew such a large crowd. Comparing our attendance figures with our peers (including the NBA) is probably the best way to determine how we are doing since our peers have experienced the same changes over the years. My 2 cents.

I'm comparing it to last year, 2011, 2005. Really a fair comparison - same options, same television coverage.

For a number of reasons, it's silly to compare current attendance to 20 years ago. And college-to-NBA is apples-to-oranges for a number of reasons. The most reasonable thing is to undertake a comparison among the same fanbase at the same arena in the same era.

Well, that and we were about to cap off an undefeated home schedule that game. :noidea:

Drunk and 20 seemed warmer than 57 and sober.

You're talking about the temperature difference between Potsdam and Syracuse, right? ;)

Clarkson grad here, too. F SLU!

I actually did do that once, would've saved me at least 10 minutes the way it was set up if I were to have taken a (legal) left turn at a certain intersection they decided for no apparent reason to divert in the opposite direction. The guy flipped out, jumped in front of my car, yelled at me for quite awhile repeatedly demanding I not "disobey the cones". For the ~5 min duration of his power-trip he ignored all the other traffic (aka his job) and eventually threatened me with jail time. I you not. His justification was that my inspection was overdue , which it was... by 2 days! True story.

Cop was easily 300 lbs and in his 50s. Probably getting paid $50/hr to stand next to some cones, wave a baton, and shout threats @ anyone that might want to make it home in under 30 minutes. Sometimes there are reasons for the stereotypes.

Gotta make sure you are up to date on your inspection! So you are saying if I am quick and have an up to date inspection I should be okay :)