Austin Wilson | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Austin Wilson

I don't know if you are taking a dig at me with that comment, but I don't understand the need to point that out . You're right, a highlight tape is what it is, but there's no reason to pick it apart.

Look at the fundamentals. Look at his drops and how he carries his weight through his throws. Fundamentals are there.

Anyone could make your comments for every recruit.

Good god, look at Kevin Olsen's highlight tape. He hits every throw he makes...

Rivals has him as the #4 QB in the state of PA.

No dig intended. I've been burned getting excited about highlight tapes before, (Mike Jones in football, Dashonte Riley in basketball), so I just take a "we'll see when they get here" view of them. I hope the kid makes it big here but a highlight tape is, by definition a highlight tape. We don't get to see what his incompletions look like, which could be as revealing.

I doubt it--Loeb is a valuable contributor on special teams / kicking--doesn't make sense to not ask him to return.
Are we talking as a Red Shirt Senior or 5th year student?

Are we talking as a Red Shirt Senior or 5th year student?

He would be a Red-Shirt senior next year. I understand what RF is saying, but should we be keeping Loeb on scholly just because he can hold EP/FG? If the staff doesn't think he can see the field at QB, I don't know if there is a reason to keep him for a 5th year. Let Hunt/Kinder/Slash battle it out and i'm sure there are other people who can handle snaps as well.

No dig intended. I've been burned getting excited about highlight tapes before, (Mike Jones in football, Dashonte Riley in basketball), so I just take a "we'll see when they get here" view of them. I hope the kid makes it big here but a highlight tape is, by definition a highlight tape. We don't get to see what his incompletions look like, which could be as revealing.

I got you SWC. I completely agree. When I started coaching last year, the first throw I saw my starting QB make was a 18-20 yard out. Perfect touch. I said good god, he is special. Then I started seeing how many balls he flew over heads and said, oh right this is why we run the Wing T.

I guess what sells me is Hacket's view. He has been around an awful lot of QBs. If he likes him and says that he is the number 1 target, then I trust it.

Pretty strong reports that QB Austin Wilson committed to Syracuse!
No doubt this is a good thing but my question is ,compared to the other high end resume prospects. How would he compare in your opinion?:noidea:

He would be a Red-Shirt senior next year. I understand what RF is saying, but should we be keeping Loeb on scholly just because he can hold EP/FG? If the staff doesn't think he can see the field at QB, I don't know if there is a reason to keep him for a 5th year. Let Hunt/Kinder/Slash battle it out and i'm sure there are other people who can handle snaps as well.
Kicking game had some problems for sure as well last year, not that it was Loeb's fault, but I think we have enough QB's depending on what happens to Hunt. Does anyone know what his status is at this point with the team considering the suspension?

“And they made it clear I was their No. 1 guy. That was important to me. I didn’t want to be some back-up recruit.”

Surprising.

This has to be the kind of thing that gets said to everyone, yes?

Maybe. But I think QB might be different. Especially if we are only recruiting one.
Doug Marrone says we are taking 2 QBs in this class. Maybe he is going to change his mind. I find that extremely doubtful.

Doug Marrone says we are taking 2 QBs in this class. Maybe he is going to change his mind. I find that extremely doubtful.
yeah, I remember seeing that. In a sense he is the #1 guy. He committed first. Now its up to the number 2 guy to pull the trigger.:)

yeah, I remember seeing that. In a sense he is the #1 guy. He committed first. Now its up to the number 2 guy to pull the trigger.:)

How is he the no 1 guy when we had an offer out to another QB (CT kid) before him? Maybe I have some facts wrong, but seems like BS sales pitch stuff to me.

How is he the no 1 guy when we had an offer out to another QB (CT kid) before him? Maybe I have some facts wrong, but seems like BS sales pitch stuff to me.
Joking that he was the first to commit. Not that he was the number one on the board (assuming they rank them that way). Tell you the truth I don't have any insight into the behind the scenes stuff.

“And they made it clear I was their No. 1 guy. That was important to me. I didn’t want to be some back-up recruit.”

Surprising.
I suppose you could play semantics and say that for each individual scholarship that Marrone offers, regardless of position, he has a ranking for it. Wilson was the #1 guy for the scholarship that was offered to him. Doesn't preclude another QB from being at the top of the pecking order for one of the other scholarships.

Meh... Same old same old. Hate to be pessimistic but I dont see ACC starting QB at all. I do however see a serviceable QB at a mid level MAC school like Eastern Michigan.

Meh... Same old same old. Hate to be pessimistic but I dont see ACC starting QB at all. I do however see a serviceable QB at a mid level MAC school like Eastern Michigan.

Why do you say that?

Why do you say that?

Not to come off as "Mr. know it all" because I am most certainly not, but I have numerous years of coaching experience at the High School level as well being the head of videography for a college program, and I only needed to see a few minutes of that tape to not be impressed. I'm sure Wilson is a good kid with high caliber work ethic, but what I saw was an undersized QB playing against average at best competition. His receivers did him lots of favors. We cannot lose sight that we are BCS conference school about to make the move to a conference of even higher competitiveness overall. We need a QB who can go into Clemson, Tallahassee, Chapel Hill, etc. and have the skills to lead the team to a win. I just dont see it in that tape, and I'm honestly not sure that Marrone and Hackett do either. Cant argue with bodies though.

As an avid Syracuse football fan with season tickets I hope to god I am wrong in my assessment because I want the program to grow and prosper, but this is not a very reassuring commitment. Broyld has the physical tools to excel at this level of football should he stay focused and continue to work, but I cant say the same about Wilson at this point. I do wish him the best though.

Not to come off as "Mr. know it all" because I am most certainly not, but I have numerous years of coaching experience at the High School level as well being the head of videography for a college program, and I only needed to see a few minutes of that tape to not be impressed. I'm sure Wilson is a good kid with high caliber work ethic, but what I saw was an undersized QB playing against average at best competition. His receivers did him lots of favors. We cannot lose sight that we are BCS conference school about to make the move to a conference of even higher competitiveness overall. We need a QB who can go into Clemson, Tallahassee, Chapel Hill, etc. and have the skills to lead the team to a win. I just dont see it in that tape, and I'm honestly not sure that Marrone and Hackett do either. Cant argue with bodies though.

There's something about the tape that I don't like either but I can't put my finger on it. While I think he shows nice touch on passes it doesn't WOW me, that said, a couple of things have to be considered. I suggested that Syracuse offered him upon scouting him at the Elite 11 QB camp in NYC. I'd feel a lot better about this committment if in fact that were true. The other thing to consider is that this kid is probably 3 years away from ever being under center in a college football game - minimum. 3 years is a long time. He'll certainly grow and mature physically in that timeframe.

I'm sure the coaches would love to have NJ's Olsen signing up (just committed to Miami) but we're going to need to win some games before that happens. There's no way of telling at this point if Wilson will be one of those unsung QB's who light it up at Boise State or TCU so we just need to keep recruiting QB's we think have a chance and hope they develop.

I think he throws a great spiral that makes catching the ball much easier.The harrisburg area is an excellent area for high school football.

He is reported to be 6'3 which I did not see on tape. I honestly thought he was maybe 6 foot tops so I retract my undersized comment. Still, I have higher expectations if we expect to be anything more then a 5 or 6 win team on a yearly basis.

The kid looks like a good project player. Think Nunes with possibly more upside because he seems to throw a pretty good ball. If the kid is really 6-3 and over 200 as a senior he has a chance to be 6-4 and 225 by the time he sees the field. I think that this is a good get as he has the chance to become a very good player. At this point we have one in the bag and if we can land a super star great but at a minimum we have a very good project that just might work out

Delvaugn Dennis class 2012 going to play for West Chester, whatever that is.

Hello Troy Nunes part deux

Well, he's about 20 pounds heavier than Nunes was as a college senior heading into his junior year of high school.

I feel better about this commitment knowing that the staff had a chance to see him perform at a camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom