Austin Wilson | Syracusefan.com

Austin Wilson

Ithacaorange

Scout Team
This kid is jacked - for a freshman Qb to come in at 210 lbs. maybe he becomes an LB if he can't play QB down the road.

On another note - I know the marrone recruiting vs. gslob recruiting comes up, and I can't see how anybody can think gslob recruited better. Look at the talent on this team, in the secondary, at RB, on the OL . speaking of OL we just had a 1st rd pick, and now people are saying hickey could go early, Trudo will play inthe nfL. I know Pugh committed to gslob, but marrone re-recruited the OFF THE CHARTS class gslob had going there, and Pugh he kept.

This kid is jacked - for a freshman Qb to come in at 210 lbs. maybe he becomes an LB if he can't play QB down the road.

The photos of Wilson are impressive. You can tell he's a tall big kid and I'm hearing throws a pretty nice ball. i think he's in a good position to be the QB of the future.

The photos of Wilson are impressive. You can tell he's a tall big kid and I'm hearing throws a pretty nice ball. i think he's in a good position to be the QB of the future.

Him and Kimble down the road

Let's see what AJ has to say about that next year.

Let's see what AJ has to say about that next year.

A true frosh behind Hunt and Wilson who'll have a year under his belt? AJ will redshirt unless he's lights out.

Yea AJ prob redshirt... Hunt would prob be tough to unseat next year but Kimble and Wilson battling for the no 2 gig.. Well see but more concerned with whose under center in 17 days

A true frosh behind Hunt and Wilson who'll have a year under his belt? AJ will redshirt unless he's lights out.
Not a bad problem to have if all take a step forward.

On another note - I know the marrone recruiting vs. gslob recruiting comes up, and I can't see how anybody can think gslob recruited better. Look at the talent on this team, in the secondary, at RB, on the OL . speaking of OL we just had a 1st rd pick, and now people are saying hickey could go early, Trudo will play inthe nfL. I know Pugh committed to gslob, but marrone re-recruited the OFF THE CHARTS class gslob had going there, and Pugh he kept.

Is there a human who thinks that, overall, GRob's recruiting results were better than Marrone's?

We should just feel fortunate that his era didn't completely send us into some kind of Kansas State-ish/Rutgers-ish 20-50-100 year dark period. Marrone had a few things to build from, and then he did the rest.

Onward and upward.

Is there a human who thinks that, overall, GRob's recruiting results were better than Marrone's?

We should just feel fortunate that his era didn't completely send us into some kind of Kansas State-ish/Rutgers-ish 20-50-100 year dark period. Marrone had a few things to build from, and then he did the rest.

Onward and upward.

Exactly. GRob was historically awful at almost everything he did. In terms of recruiting he was merely below average. Our saving grace.

Every QB, scratch that, every kid regardless of position coming out of HS should "get" to redshirt. Obviously there is some Clowney-esque talent that you can't keep off the field, but the vast majority of kids need a year learning the playbook, getting bigger and becoming acclimated to college life.

The value of a redshirt is gigantic. It's nice were in the position to freely toss out redshirts again!! Our QB situation looks pretty damn good for years to come.

My understanding is that both of the frosh QBs have been very impressive thus far in preseason camp. But it has been Kimble who has gotten a few reps with the first team so far. He is a little in front thus far in what looks to be a long and very spirited competition between these players.

There is no question when it came to talent evaluation Marrone's staff was 2nd to none. They hit a ton of home runs on under the radar prospects, especially on the offensive line. That is my biggest concern moving forward

Remember, though, Shafer was his dude through his tenure at SU. They had an evaluation system that lead them to specific prospects after performing in camps, and I think (and maybe bnoro can clarify this), if Shafer learned anything from Doug, it'd be that his system of evaluation worked... I wouldn't be surprised to see that he still used it/aspects of it in his own process.

I don't know, I kind of miss the days SU went after qb's that didn't even start at their high school.

I love this 180 turn. I am very very happy with the future at this position, the most since McNabb was a frosh.

Remember, though, Shafer was his dude through his tenure at SU. They had an evaluation system that lead them to specific prospects after performing in camps, and I think (and maybe bnoro can clarify this), if Shafer learned anything from Doug, it'd be that his system of evaluation worked... I wouldn't be surprised to see that he still used it/aspects of it in his own process.

I have been hoping that system Marrone used carried over. I kind of doubt it just because we seem to be recruiting a different type of player, but it definitely worked. I also liked how we recruited offensive lineman that had a wresting back ground. I'm not sure if that was a coincidence , but seems to always work

My understanding is that both of the frosh QBs have been very impressive thus far in preseason camp. But it has been Kimble who has gotten a few reps with the first team so far. He is a little in front thus far in what looks to be a long and very spirited competition between these players.

These things typically have a way of working themselves out (injuries, academic casualties, transfers, position changes), but personally I'm a fan of creating separation between 2 incoming QBs. Let one be active this year and one can redshirt.

Although one good thing about our current roster is that the true freshman QB would be 4th string. We don't always get to say that. So any game action they see this year would be based on a situation none of us hope to encounter.

Ideally, I would like to see the program bring in "at least" one stud QB every year. You can never have too much talent to pick from at the QB position. Never.

They both impressed in the reps they had Friday.

Both would be capable Qbs without question. Very good athletes as well. AJ will redshirt unless he absolutely wows everyone from day 1.

Zack who?

;)

He was really referring to Zack Chibane--somebody who actually attended SU. :rolleyes:

Now we have a real Texas QB--no looking back to that might-have-been.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom