Awaiting John Wildhack's Decision | Syracusefan.com

Awaiting John Wildhack's Decision

kingtidge

All American
Not that he deserves it, but I think Wildhack gives Dino one more game... More as a courtesy to the Yankee organization for the next "home game on the road".

Canning Dino on Monday and putting a caretaker in charge would be a middle finger to the Yankees and a bad move for ticket sales.

I am on record as never wanting to play in that stadium again, but I concede as a business move, you wait until after this upcoming game to avoid burning bridges with the Yankees.

Not that he deserves it, but I think Wildhack gives Dino one more game... More as a courtesy to the Yankee organization for the next "home game on the road".

Canning Dino on Monday and putting a caretaker in charge would be a middle finger to the Yankees and a bad move for ticket sales.

I am on record as never wanting to play in that stadium again, but I concede as a business move, you wait until after this upcoming game to avoid burning bridges with the Yankees.
I think you’re wrong. Firing Dino sends a message to the players and fans. It might give them a boost ticket sales wise and push the players harder to win one for Dino. Grob went into nd and won. Shaffer was carried off the field in the dome.

As much as I want to get the new search underway now, which it maybe starting now and we just don’t know, I don’t see the University announcing anything until at least after the Pitt game next week and possibly not until after the GT game. It’s way past time for a change as most everyone knows and I fully expect the announcement coming in the next couple of weeks.

I think you’re wrong. Firing Dino sends a message to the players and fans. It might give them a boost ticket sales wise and push the players harder to win one for Dino. Grob went into nd and won. Shaffer was carried off the field in the dome.
They're not going to risk firing a guy before he becomes bowl eligible

Last edited:
We are overthinking it

It’s over. Q is when and I think sooner the better. The hay is in the barn for nyc already tickets wise. It’s a q of national media oxygen if we fire him now vs along w every sec school come thanksgiving

Maths.
Bad autocorrect typo
They're not going to risk firing a guy before he becomes bowl eligible. Sorry about that.

Not that it matters too much but it invites some hacks to say they're firing a black guy who could still win seven games when his QB comes back, who does Syracuse think they are

Just wait a couple weeks, firing him now just throws a bone to overemotional people

Bad autocorrect typo
They're not going to risk firing a guy before he becomes bowl eligible. Sorry about that.

Not that it matters too much but it invites some hacks to say they're firing a black guy who could still win seven games when his QB comes back, who does Syracuse think they are

Just wait a couple weeks, firing him now just throws a bone to overemotional people
I don’t think Shrader is coming back and they can’t win with cdrw.

You're worried about giving the Yankees the finger?

They're not even worried about their own ticket sales.

Win one for Dino? Let's see having a disappointing season, while playing in Yankee Stadium in the 20s...

The 1928 Notre Dame football season was not one of most successful of Knute Rockne’s tenure as head coach. In fact, it was actually the worst, as Rockne’s team finished just 5-4. The Irish’s game on Nov. 10, 1928, however, lives on in college football lore. At halftime of the contest between Notre Dame and Army at Yankee Stadium, Rockne told his players the story of the tragic death of George Gipp, the star halfback who passed away in 1920. As the legend goes, Gipp was in his hospital bed, when he asked Rockne to have the team “Win just one for the Gipper” some day. Rockne used the story to rally the underdog Irish to a 12-6 victory against the Black Knights.

As much as I want to get the new search underway now, which it maybe starting now and we just don’t know, I don’t see the University announcing anything until at least after the Pitt game next week and possibly not until after the GT game. It’s way past time for a change as most everyone knows and I fully expect the announcement coming in the next couple of weeks.

The longer Dino stays the more fans will check out short term on the program. You can't ask fans for money while Dino is HC. And if you wait until after GA Tech, the fans will have already forgotten about SU FB for the year.

They're not going to risk firing a guy before he becomes bowl eligible

This season is completely meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Keeping Dino for a chance at 6 Ws is doing long tern damage. And what if he gets to 7 Ws however unlikely? You put yourself in a pickle.

What is best for the health of the program was firing Dino last Friday.

The longer Dino stays the more fans will check out short term on the program. You can't ask fans for money while Dino is HC. And if you wait until after GA Tech, the fans will have already forgotten about SU FB for the year.
I’m already checked out and fully get what you’re saying but i just don’t see the university announcing anything publicly until at least after the Pitt game and probably after a bowl game is not achievable. The wheels should be in motion now though but universities work slowly.

There is very little to gain by waiting. On the other hand, firing him now let's us get a jump on the search for his replacment - not to mention giving some hope to the fan base, which is clearly fed up. I would also say that JW has his credibility at stake. His mantra was improvment and the overwhelming facts are that we have not improved. You would think that he is a guy attuned to ratings trends and this one is obvious.

This season is completely meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Keeping Dino for a chance at 6 Ws is doing long tern damage. And what if he gets to 7 Ws however unlikely? You put yourself in a pickle.

What is best for the health of the program was firing Dino last Friday.
If he makes two bowls in a row, he'll get another year and we'll all live. Wildhack had different incentives than anonymous message board guys

I’m already checked out and fully get what you’re saying but i just don’t see the university announcing anything publicly until at least after the Pitt game and probably after a bowl game is not achievable. The wheels should be in motion now though but universities work slowly.

Pitt is worse than BC. So if we win that then you have to wait until after Wake (who we could also beat) to get to 7 Ls. By then you have lost some STHs for next year. You have people who think same old SU, and take a wait and see approach before giving money to the program or NIL. You lose some diehards who say it just isn't worth it anymore. They had no choice but to fire Dino, it wasn't done because SU actually cares. The message that SU is sending is pushing fans away.

There is very little to gain by waiting. On the other hand, firing him now let's us get a jump on the search for his replacment - not to mention giving some hope to the fan base, which is clearly fed up. I would also say that JW has his credibility at stake. His mantra was improvment and the overwhelming facts are that we have not improved. You would think that he is a guy attuned to ratings trends and this one is obvious.
I don't think it gets us a jump on the search. It's not like he needs to get fired now for people to have conversations about the inevitable

Pitt is worse than BC. So if we win that then you have to wait until after Wake (who we could also beat) to get to 7 Ls. By then you have lost some STHs for next year. You have people who think same old SU, and take a wait and see approach before giving money to the program or NIL. You lose some diehards who say it just isn't worth it anymore. They had no choice but to fire Dino, it wasn't done because SU actually cares. The message that SU is sending is pushing fans away.
You want to fire a guy now because you think there is a good enough chance they make a bowl

If he makes two bowls in a row, he'll get another year and we'll all live. Wildhack had different incentives than anonymous message board guys

Where did JW say get to a Bowl and your job is safe? People are twisting what he said as such. Where did he say that with one year left on a contract it is ok to be a lame duck?

You want to fire a guy now because you think there is a good enough chance they make a bowl

I want to fire a guy last week because it is time to move on. Once it is time to move on there is zero point in not doing so. Not firing Dino is SU saying they haven't closed the door on him yet, which is completely insane. You get weird worth word play.

Where did JW say get to a Bowl and your job is safe? People are twisting what he said as such. Where did he say that with one year left on a contract it is ok to be a lame duck?
Of course he didn't say that. I'm not referring to anything he's said, I'm referring to what any normal person would reasonably expect (Syracuse isn't going to fire a coach after back to back bowl sessions)

A search can always be started without publically announcing a firing.
My guess is nothing is announced until after the Wake game...whether that be a firing, retiring or another year.

Bad autocorrect typo

Who cares what those people say? Anybody on this planet aware of the previous 4 games knows the deal - we can't win in our conference and no matter how many Colgates we beat, the last 8 years is certainly enough to convince anybody. Syracuse knows who they are and it needs to be fixed.

Bad autocorrect typo

Agree 100%. He‘s going to be fired because at best he may win 1 more game but I doubt it. But until he can’t go 6-6 Dino will most likely have a job. But he’s going to be fired in the next few weeks.

appeasing a small part of the fan base that wants Him gone today really doesn’t mean much or accomplis much of anything