Awaiting John Wildhack's Decision | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Awaiting John Wildhack's Decision

I want to fire a guy last week because it is time to move on. Once it is time to move on there is zero point in not doing so. Not firing Dino is SU saying they haven't closed the door on him yet, which is completely insane. You get weird worth word play.
Easy for you to say, you're not the one who risks getting raked over the coals for firing a black coach because private syracuse with no fans expects so much more than average bowl games

A search can always be started without publically announcing a firing.
My guess is nothing is announced until after the Wake game...whether that be a firing, retiring or another year.
Yes, of course, but it is not at all the same. You get a much wider net when it is public.

Agree 100%. He‘s going to be fired because at best he may win 1 more game but I doubt it. But until he can’t go 6-6 Dino will Most likely have a job. But he’s going to be fired in the next few weeks
That is not soon enough for everyone ritualistically breaking their feet in a show of passionate emotion

Easy for you to say, you're not the one who risks getting raked over the coals for firing a black coach because private syracuse with no fans expects so much more than average bowl games
Please. This isn’t 1956 Alabama. Su is one of the most progressive university in the country. Dino has been given every chance and has had more tools than any Syracuse coach. The color of your skin should not come into play. If you do your job and do it well no one cares. Dino is a great guy but it didn’t work out here. End of story. Stop pushing this nonsense.

Please. This isn’t 1956 Alabama. Su is one of the most progressive university in the country. Dino has been given every chance and has had more tools than any Syracuse coach. The color of your skin should not come into play. If you do your job and do it well no one cares. Dino is a great guy but it didn’t work out here. End of story. Stop pushing this nonsense.
Please don't think I'm on board with any of the criticism he'd get from idiots at ESPN. I don't watch any of those moron talking heads, I do not care what they think. But they can't hurt me.

You can never be progressive enough. I think any of us in wildhack's shoes would be aware of what a difference a couple weeks could make.

Yes, of course, but it is not at all the same. You get a much wider net when it is public.

You don’t need a wide net. You’ve already identified who you’re interested in if you’re doing your job and you start reaching out through the back channels. This isn’t a job at Walmart, you don’t need a wide net.

I do not want to be bowl eligible if it means Dino stays.

Congrats ADJW, I feel like a god damn Jets fan
I remember feeling this way and I was made out to be the worst person in the world. I am not going to be so pious about it, I don't blame you or criticize you for not thinking it's worth it

I just don't see why wildhack would want to go out on that limb

I remember feeling this way and I was made out to be the worst person in the world. I am not going to be so pious about it, I don't blame you or criticize you for not thinking it's worth it

I just don't see why wildhack would want to go out on that limb
I will never root for us to tank/lose.

But

We are now in clean house shape rather than just fire Dino shape.

Thats 5 damn nationally televised disgraces in a row.

I dont think anyone, even those (me) who plainly remember G Rob, is fully grasping how bad things are right now.

We’re discovering new depths.

Also felt like the Freeney honoring was half assed. Him and P deserve better. I’ve never left a game so angry. Not Akron, Not MTSU or Lamar Louisville, not losing to South Florida at home or so so so many others I could list. This one blew.

The Yankees’ special projects guy made a bad bet and they know it.

I don’t think they care what we do.

That said, we won’t do anything while 7-5 is on the table, even though we all know it really isn’t.

Last edited:
This season is completely meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Keeping Dino for a chance at 6 Ws is doing long tern damage. And what if he gets to 7 Ws however unlikely? You put yourself in a pickle.

What is best for the health of the program was firing Dino last Friday.
You are 100% correct. And I would add that you have a DC who happened to be a very successful HC recently. Let him finish out the season and then find a new coach. People are worried about the perception nationally of firing Dino when he could still make a bowl game. What if he miraculously won 7 and got to a bowl? That's a nightmare scenario for this program. No way you could fire him then, and you'd have to extend him. Why take that chance, as small as it might be. If you let him go now, most would understand why.

You don’t need a wide net. You’ve already identified who you’re interested in if you’re doing your job and you start reaching out through the back channels. This isn’t a job at Walmart, you don’t need a wide net.
Well I would respectively disagree. The search candidates are controlled by whomever you hire to do the search. Why would you not want the widest net possible?

If he makes two bowls in a row, he'll get another year and we'll all live. Wildhack had different incentives than anonymous message board guys
The chance we make a bowl is probably 5%. The chance we score more than 10 points in each game is probably the same. There is absolutely nothing we gain by keeping him on just in case a miracle happens and he somehow wins 2 more games. In fact by canning him now and inserting Rocky maybe it puts some life in this team and we still make a bowl. We would have far more momentum coming off a bowl game in the coaching search than we do if Dino somehow wins 2 games and the inevitable is pushed another year. We can still go to a bowl with an interim HC. I can’t think of any other P5 program that would keep their HC after what we witnessed the last 5 weeks. Send a message to the next HC that we are serious about winning and not just going through the motions.

They have a special projects guy? Is it Costanza?
The Yankees’ special projects guy made a bad bet and they know it.

I don’t think the care what we do.

That said, we won’t do anything while 7-5 is on the table, even though we all know it really isn’t.
Maybe they will finally have Jon Voight Day at halftime next Saturday

Not that he deserves it, but I think Wildhack gives Dino one more game... More as a courtesy to the Yankee organization for the next "home game on the road".

Canning Dino on Monday and putting a caretaker in charge would be a middle finger to the Yankees and a bad move for ticket sales.

I am on record as never wanting to play in that stadium again, but I concede as a business move, you wait until after this upcoming game to avoid burning bridges with the Yankees.
Problem is Wildhack should not have waited until now to fire him. I am angry to think Wildhack has allowed this to continue and we as a fan base have heard little from him. He should be fired, too.

Agreed, and it's not an NFL job either. This isn't a flat earth, all thing are equal gig.

If he makes two bowls in a row, he'll get another year and we'll all live. Wildhack had different incentives than anonymous message board guys
What incentives does he have that potentially don't make matters worse in another year? No Quarterback, no oline, Gadsen and maybe Allen hit the portal along with some others. Smae old crappy recruiting (including portal). Big risks of things getting worse not better, (if that's possible)

You are 100% correct. And I would add that you have a DC who happened to be a very successful HC recently. Let him finish out the season and then find a new coach. People are worried about the perception nationally of firing Dino when he could still make a bowl game. What if he miraculously won 7 and got to a bowl? That's a nightmare scenario for this program. No way you could fire him then, and you'd have to extend him. Why take that chance, as small as it might be. If you let him go now, most would understand why.

Unless he doesn't want to do it. IDK.

The chance we make a bowl is probably 5%. The chance we score more than 10 points in each game is probably the same. There is absolutely nothing we gain by keeping him on just in case a miracle happens and he somehow wins 2 more games. In fact by canning him now and inserting Rocky maybe it puts some life in this team and we still make a bowl. We would have far more momentum coming off a bowl game in the coaching search than we do if Dino somehow wins 2 games and the inevitable is pushed another year. We can still go to a bowl with an interim HC. I can’t think of any other P5 program that would keep their HC after what we witnessed the last 5 weeks. Send a message to the next HC that we are serious about winning and not just going through the motions.
Wildhack has a lot to gain by waiting. He can anger people with big woke megaphones or he can anger ottoscrotum69

Not that he deserves it, but I think Wildhack gives Dino one more game... More as a courtesy to the Yankee organization for the next "home game on the road".

Canning Dino on Monday and putting a caretaker in charge would be a middle finger to the Yankees and a bad move for ticket sales.

I am on record as never wanting to play in that stadium again, but I concede as a business move, you wait until after this upcoming game to avoid burning bridges with the Yankees.
There’s gonna be like 15,000 people actually at Yankee Stadium. It hardly matters.