B12 expansion | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

B12 expansion

Agree, yet another doomsday scenario, just for the Big 12 and not the ACC. I really do believe the big 12 is more in danger of being torn apart than the ACC. I said Pac 12 and you bring up the B1g and SEC. All three have eyes on schools they would take if the terms were right. Besides, any school left over could probably ask the Big East and they would probably accept them.

Yeah any number of things could play out or nothing else could happen. B1G and SEC are the shot callers in all of this though. If they decide they want 4 conferences, they'll decide what the other 2 conferences are.

Yeah any number of things could play out or nothing else could happen. B1G and SEC are the shot callers in all of this though. If they decide they want 4 conferences, they'll decide what the other 2 conferences are.

This and the B1g will fly cover for the Pac 12.

Just a couple of years ago, whenever realignment or expansion was discussed, many people on these boards said that it was all BS etc. Since that time, we have seen the following move.

SU
Pitt
Nebraska
WVU
TCU
Colorado
Utah
Missouri
Texas A&M
Temple
Navy
BSU
SDSU
Memphis
SMU
CFU
Houston
BYU
VCU
Butler
UMass
And all the CUSA and MWC moves and about 20 other small meaningless ones.

That's a lot of shaking and baking in the past couple years. Still a ways to go.

Just a couple of years ago, whenever realignment or expansion was discussed, many people on these boards said that it was all BS etc. Since that time, we have seen the following move.

SU
Pitt
Nebraska
WVU
TCU
Colorado
Utah
Missouri
Texas A&M
Temple
Navy
BSU
SDSU
Memphis
SMU
CFU
Houston
BYU
VCU
Butler
UMass

That's a lot of shaking and baking in the past couple years. Still a ways to go.
I'd say the first 9 teams listed were the moves. The rest are the reactions.

Yep. Lots of domino effect.

Yep. Lots of domino effect.

College conferences have been in a perpetual state of flux for, oh, 70 years. Maybe more.

Sincerely,

University of Chicago
Sewanee
Big 8
South Carolina
Metro Conference
SWC
Pac-8
South Carolina
Georgia Tech
et. al.

The money's bigger now, but the game is the same.

College conferences have been in a perpetual state of flux for, oh, 70 years. Maybe more.

Sincerely,

University of Chicago
Sewanee
Big 8
South Carolina
Metro Conference
SWC
Pac-8
South Carolina
Georgia Tech
et. al.

The money's bigger now, but the game is the same.

Except this was all in 2 years or less and some major players.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

So where does that leave us? We still haven't gone to the ACC yet, and if the Big 12 is taking all these teams they why would we join that conference? IDK it seems like we are the odd duck out no matter what happens.

SU
Pitt
Nebraska
WVU
TCU
Colorado
Utah
Missouri
Texas A&M
Temple
Navy
BSU
SDSU
Memphis
SMU
CFU
Houston
BYU
VCU
Butler
UMass

Two points:

TCU has technically moved twice.

And, more importantly--could some of these promised moves not come to fruition?

Of course. I just like to point out that this is not unprecedented or even terribly abnormal.

One might argue that the upheavals from, say, 1988-1991 involved bigger players and were much further reaching.

I'd say some of the first 9 are reactions.

I'm trying to think which schools were rumored to go where they did by the well connected expansion experts. Colorado? aTm? Anyone else? I guess us in the sense that we always knew the ACC wanted us.

I'd say some of the first 9 are reactions.

I'm trying to think which schools were rumored to go where they did by the well connected expansion experts. Colorado? aTm? Anyone else? I guess us in the sense that we always knew the ACC wanted us.

I think Colorado might be the only one where there were rumors of mutual interest for years. Aside from that I don't know that any of the Internet's Finest picked up on the looming moves of Nebraska, aTm, etc until the horse was very much out of the barn.

I mean other than San Diego State to the Big East. We all knew that was coming. That was the lynchpin of the 4x16 conspiracy theory.

I mean other than San Diego State to the Big East. We all knew that was coming. That was the lynchpin of the 4x16 conspiracy theory.

And yet every so often we get closer and closer to that model.

Eh, depends. I always said that it may happen, organically, to some extent, someday. But I've always bristled at the idea that there was some puppet master orchestrating it.

And I will say, again, in a lot of ways we are already there: 5 power conferences of 62 teams.

Obviously the biggest of schools would like to something with fewer schools that are like them. Share the revenue with as few as they can. They'd probably prefer 48 if you asked them honestly. But they'd never pull it off. I doubt they can even pull of 64.

Even if they did pull it off, the next round would be something along the lines of the SEC wanting a bigger piece of the playoff pie than, say the Pac 12, because the SEC feels so far superior.

Eventually one of these conferences will destroy college football and, in a strange way, many semi-media members will enjoy writing about it so much, it will take them about a month to figure out that they don't have jobs anymore.

Then maybe you should start your own thread?
Bees who do you think is going. It sure as hell isnt going to be FSU i can promise you that and i doubt it is any other team in the ACC the big 12 is a total joke. They have one team that really matters and everyone knows they control the deal. What team in any decent conf would want to join the tumble league? My bet is cincy and Lv jump as they both need a home and dont bring a hell of a lot to any other conf.

Its called Murphys law

Obviously the biggest of schools would like to something with fewer schools that are like them. Share the revenue with as few as they can. They'd probably prefer 48 if you asked them honestly. But they'd never pull it off. I doubt they can even pull of 64.

Even if they did pull it off, the next round would be something along the lines of the SEC wanting a bigger piece of the playoff pie than, say the Pac 12, because the SEC feels so far superior.

Eventually one of these conferences will destroy college football and, in a strange way, many semi-media members will enjoy writing about it so much, it will take them about a month to figure out that they don't have jobs anymore.

4x16 or 5x14. They will also break away from the NCAA at some point and what will start as a 4 team playoff will become 8 teams in 2-3 years and maybe 16 a few years after that.

But I've always bristled at the idea that there was some puppet master orchestrating it.

Don't know about a puppet master but its been a plan for a decade or more.

Don't know about a puppet master but its been a plan for a decade or more.

Meh, there's plans for everything. There was a plan for a bi-coastal league in the 50s. There was a plan for a 16 team eastern all sports league in 1990.

Making plans is easy. Executing them is considerably more difficult.

I still believe the 16 team conference model is coming. Whether it is 4 x 16 or 5 x 16, I don't know. But I do think that the B12 will be the one to get cannibalized in all of this. The Pac12 will eventually need to add teams, and they're not going to add U of California San Obisbo. They're going to look to a Texas, and/or a Oklahoma, etc. The B10 will also look at a Texas/Oklahoma option -- and perhaps another eastern team to complement PSU. Of course, ND is at the very top of the B10 list. The SEC will look to Texas, and OK too.

Not sure what the ACC will do. My best guess is they will keep trying to lure ND, and then try to get the best FB team they can get. I think that will be more important to them than adding another northeast team.

Meh, there's plans for everything. There was a plan for a bi-coastal league in the 50s. There was a plan for a 16 team eastern all sports league in 1990.

Making plans is easy. Executing them is considerably more difficult.

So we agree, there has been a plan even if just conceptual. BTW, non-bloggers like Jake C and Lew Perkins would agree with us.