B1G Interest in SU?? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

B1G Interest in SU??

No chance we are going to the B1G they are saving a slot for Notre Dame and Pitt, VPI, UVA, UNC or Ga. Tech ARE WAY ahead of us on their pecking order. No need to discuss this I will donate half of bank account to the SU AD's office if we got an invite to the B1G. Its not happening the AAU kickout we got cause of Cantor killing academics is a HUGE killer.

I don't buy it either, but for the record, Pitt, VPI and Georgia Tech are non-factors. Notre Dame is no longer an active goal of the Big Ten's IMHO. If Notre Dame changes its mind and wants in, the Big Ten would do it. But I think they've moved on otherwise.

That said, I do think UNC and Virginia are the Big Ten's targets.

I really hope not, despite the fact that we may be a better geographical fit in the Big 10. I guess I'm more of a basketball guy than a football guy, because I'd love to play Duke and UNC more than Ohio State and Michigan State.

We're an East Coast school...not a Midwest School. I'd hate to be playing Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, Nebraska and Iowa. Yuck.

I really hope not, despite the fact that we may be a better geographical fit in the Big 10. I guess I'm more of a basketball guy than a football guy, because I'd love to play Duke and UNC more than Ohio State and Michigan State.

You more than proved that when you wrote Mich St instead of Michigan regarding football!

We're an East Coast school...not a Midwest School. I'd hate to be playing Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, Nebraska and Iowa. Yuck.

I would be all over it for selfish reasons, since I live in the Midwest.

In regard to the $50,000,000 SU would have to pay to leave, I'm in for fifty bucks.

Already cashed out my life savings the other day, so we're up to $100.

I highly doubt SU is on their radar, but I highly highly highly highly doubt that Pitt is.

New states, people. All about the new states. NY would at least be a new state. But I don't know how the whole NYC DMA/Rutgers works, and if that muscles us out.

Well, we'd be playing Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State every year too.

We're not going, but I'm just saying...

I think the ACC needs to partner with ESPN. If ESPN offers beaucoup bucks to Notre Dame and Penn State to move to the ACC, it may work, and this would prevent FOX domination of the College market. Penn State is frustrated and Notre Dame is half way in for Football, the money is where it's at. This would be a power move.

I'll be deeply concerned for the next few days, but I expect that if the ACC has no issues from the saber rattlers down south, then all will be o.k. for the short term.

Apparently Mike Francesca is saying that the B1G is checking with Syracuse to see if they have any interest??? Anyone else find this believable? Would the B1G be looking to take Maryland, Rutgers, Syracuse and Pitt and call it a day at 16??
Not going to happen . Bet your bippy on that.SU can't afford that to happen Gross will kill that if its even mentioned seriously.:crazy:

There is no reason to go to the BiG. Let them have UMD, Buthole and UConn if they're that crazy. ND and Texas have already told them no. They are scrambling for scraps at this point.

Already cashed out my life savings the other day, so we're up to $100.

I highly doubt SU is on their radar, but I highly highly highly highly doubt that Pitt is.

New states, people. All about the new states. NY would at least be a new state. But I don't know how the whole NYC DMA/Rutgers works, and if that muscles us out.

The combination of Rutgers and SU is how they corner the NY market.

I don't buy it either, but for the record, Pitt, VPI and Georgia Tech are non-factors. Notre Dame is no longer an active goal of the Big Ten's IMHO. If Notre Dame changes its mind and wants in, the Big Ten would do it. But I think they've moved on otherwise.

That said, I do think UNC and Virginia are the Big Ten's targets.

I agree that UNC and UVA are the desired #15 and #16.

However, there was the rumor back in 2010 on the Indianapolis station that said in addition to Nebraska, the Big Ten was expanding with Notre Dame, Maryland, Rutgers, and SU. ND supposedly asked for BC instead of Maryland and Pitt instead of Rutgers in addition to a 7 game conference schedule knowing that Delany wouldn't go for it.

So, I could see ND and SU as the back-up plan to UNC/UVA, but only if ND were to join. And that isn't happening. I'm sure the Irish are looking at this latest move by Delany as another attempt to try and cut ND off the knees.

My stomach is in knots just thinking about the ACC Doomsday Scenario playing out. Hope FSU, Clemson, and GT hold firm.

Cheers,
Neil

Do we have a million subscribers here?:rolling:
If you counted every registered members' fingers and toes, we would still be about 1/20 of 1,000,000.

I agree that UNC and UVA are the desired #15 and #16.

However, there was the rumor back in 2010 on the Indianapolis station that said in addition to Nebraska, the Big Ten was expanding with Notre Dame, Maryland, Rutgers, and SU. ND supposedly asked for BC instead of Maryland and Pitt instead of Rutgers in addition to a 7 game conference schedule knowing that Delany wouldn't go for it.

So, I could see ND and SU as the back-up plan to UNC/UVA, but only if ND were to join. And that isn't happening. I'm sure the Irish are looking at this latest move by Delany as another attempt to try and cut ND off the knees.

My stomach is in knots just thinking about the ACC Doomsday Scenario playing out. Hope FSU, Clemson, and GT hold firm.

Cheers,
Neil

If Notre Dame were to offer to join on the condition of Syracuse also joining, I would imagine the Big Ten would say yes to that in a nanosecond. That would overwhelmingly sell the NYC market with Rutgers, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan and Maryland all having decent-sized alumni bases there. That would be an easy sell.

But yeah I agree with you, I don't see Notre Dame changing their mind and if they do, it will probably be too late to find a spot in the Big Ten. My guess is Notre Dame winds up in the Big 12 or, in a real bizarre twist, the Pac-12 if the ACC doomsday scenario plays out.

As long as ND is on board with at least partial with the ACC, I think the conference is fine. ESPN and Notre Dame have too much power in all of this and a lot put into the ACC to let it just die. I'm not too worried, the sky isn't falling people. We lost Maryland, not FSU, ND, Clemson, VT, or UNC. VT/UVA won't leave unless it is with each other and VT likes the ACC, Beamer doesn't want a harder schedule. UNC won't leave due to it essentially being one of the main powers in the ACC just to sit in the back row at the Big Ten unless it must, and they'd rather preserve their rivalry with Duke. Clemson and FSU would leave for the SEC most likely if they came calling, but leaving for the Big 12 would only be done out of pure desperation. And ND won't leave due to their hatred of the Big Ten after years of the Big Ten screwing with them trying to get them to cave.

I have always felt that the Big -1o would be a horrible fit for Syracuse, both academically and sports-wise. Unlike RU and UMD, we don't fit the BIG profile of large, state-supported, Tier-1, Land-Grant institutions. People need to realize that conference affiliation is not just about football, or for that matter, sports in general.

As long as ND is on board with at least partial with the ACC, I think the conference is fine. ESPN and Notre Dame have too much power in all of this and a lot put into the ACC to let it just die. I'm not too worried, the sky isn't falling people. We lost Maryland, not FSU, ND, Clemson, VT, or UNC. VT/UVA won't leave unless it is with each other and VT likes the ACC, Beamer doesn't want a harder schedule. UNC won't leave due to it essentially being one of the main powers in the ACC just to sit in the back row at the Big Ten unless it must, and they'd rather preserve their rivalry with Duke. Clemson and FSU would leave for the SEC most likely if they came calling, but leaving for the Big 12 would only be done out of pure desperation. And ND won't leave due to their hatred of the Big Ten after years of the Big Ten screwing with them trying to get them to cave.
And therein lies the rub.
Gordon Gekko Delaney is looking to crush ND's landing spot and force them either to join or commit to a dying ACC.
Either way, FSU and others would be the linchpins to that strategy.
I'm just pissed we jumped from the frying pan into another fire. :bang:

It seemed as if this came up on his Sunday show, which I was listening to. A caller, who said he was a Syracuse fan living in MD, wanted to know about the 'rumors' that the B1G was looking at SU to take Rutgers' spot. I got the impression the caller was trying to start a rumor of his own, but who knows... I certainly haven't heard this anywhere else. Seems as if Francesa was taking this caller at his word and running with it.

Was listening as well. Surprised that Francesa is still bringing it up, but whatever. I'm very happy with the ACC, but if the Big 10 calls you have to at least pick up the phone. I trust Gross and company to make the right decision.

No chance we are going to the B1G they are saving a slot for Notre Dame and Pitt, VPI, UVA, UNC or Ga. Tech ARE WAY ahead of us on their pecking order. No need to discuss this I will donate half of bank account to the SU AD's office if we got an invite to the B1G. Its not happening the AAU kickout we got cause of Cantor killing academics is a HUGE killer.

You're wrong.

The AAU wants all of its member universities to have medical schools. Nebraska and Syracuse do not have medical schools. Nebraska and Syracuse are no longer members of the AAU (Syracuse left voluntarily; Nebraska got booted shortly thereafter).

You're wrong.

The AAU wants all of its member universities to have medical schools. Nebraska and Syracuse do not have medical schools. Nebraska and Syracuse are no longer members of the AAU (Syracuse left voluntarily; Nebraska got booted shortly thereafter).
So then why doesn't SU take over SUNY Upstate Medical University and have a medical school to keep itself in the prestigious AAU. Also, Cantor has killed our academics she is the Chancellor and when I entered SU in fall of 2002 we were ranked #47 in the US News and World Report when I left Chancellor Cantor was in her 2nd year and the school was ranked #50 in the USN&RW and now we are down to #68 our academics MUST improve.

You're wrong.

Academic concerns were obviously not that important to the Big 10 when they added Nebraska.

Nebraska didn't even make the US News and World Report top 100 rankings. TV eyes weren't all that important either. There were obviously other considerations

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom