Backup C | Syracusefan.com

Backup C

two3zone

RIP Shark58
I know it won't happen, but just curious what others think around here. At what point do you put Grant at the 5 when Rak is in foul trouble?

Eh I get more frustrated than anyone at Keita but I don't think your suggestion is the answer.

It's not a crazy idea in certain situations, though.

Syracuse44 said:
Not gonna happen this year

I know it won't. Just wondering people's personal opinions are on this and what they would do with the option.

Baye's regression from last year is really surprising. He'd really shown pretty consistent (albeit, sometimes slow) development from his Frosh year culminating with playing at a really high level in last year's BET. He was really our better option at the 5 for a number of games down the stretch last year.

If Roberson would have shown the potential I could see Grant going to the 5 but it's a moot point now.

I know it won't happen, but just curious what others think around here. At what point do you put Grant at the 5 when Rak is in foul trouble?

I like the idea of a smaller, quicker, more athletic lineup. The downside is that with Grant's back problems, having to bang inside on D is a bigger risk than it would normally be.

But this is now win-or-go-home. BMK has become terrible in every phase of the game. He can't stay on his feet on D - he is literally getting beat every time now. And on offense, if he actually is able to hold on to the ball, his shot is either blocked or bricked. He's in a bad, bad spiral right now. He has to know he is playing poorly, so he tries to make a play every time, and he fails. So he tries harder to make a play. And he fails even worse. Sad, because he's such a good person.

I think Baye is severely restricted (psychologically) by the knee brace. He is not the same player since the knee injury. There has to be a reason his game has regressed.
Has the brace affected his hands and ability to hold onto the ball?

I still can't believe the play where he got the rebound and could have went right back up for a lay up or dunk and instead tried to slip it back to Fair 3 feet behind him. I know he just got blocked, but if you can't score on that opportunity or at least attempt to score, why are you even on the court. Towards the end of last season, he really started to contribute... Made his free throws, finished some pick and rolls, and scored off offensive rebounds. How did he regress so far to the point that he even refuses to look at the basket.

Baye is playing like the guy at the playground when you're 1 player short and you just grab someone from the sideline. He looks clueless and as soon as he gets the ball he passes it as soon as possible even if it's to the other team cuz he has no idea what to do with it and panics.

I said this after the virginia game and it got deleted but he simply does not belong on the court.

Has the brace affected his hands and ability to hold onto the ball?

His hands have never been good but I know from experience, if you feel uncomfortable on the court you do not play as well as you would if you are comfortable. So to answer your question, yes it could affect all of his game.

Baye is playing like the guy at the playground when you're 1 player short and you just grab someone from the sideline. He looks clueless and as soon as he gets the ball he passes it as soon as possible even if it's to the other team cuz he has no idea what to do with it and panics.

I said this after the virginia game and it got deleted but he simply does not belong on the court.
Disagree. Baye has helped us immeasurably in games when Rak was out. On offense, I agree - he is a liability. But you won't find anyone with a bigger heart and desire to help the team. Did he have a bad game last night? Yes. CJ did too. It happens. But to say he doesn't belong on the court is just wrong.

Over the last two years is there a major college hoops team that gets less out of the center position than SU? Probably wouldn't have worked well but out of frustration I might have gone to a smaller lineup a long time ago.

orange79 said:
Disagree. Baye has helped us immeasurably in games when Rak was out. On offense, I agree - he is a liability. But you won't find anyone with a bigger heart and desire to help the team. Did he have a bad game last night? Yes. CJ did too. It happens. But to say he doesn't belong on the court is just wrong.

Did you watch the virginia game? Did not belong on the court that game either.

orange79 said:

Unfortunately heart and desire doesn't make you a good basketball player.

If Roberson would have shown the potential I could see Grant going to the 5 but it's a moot point now.

Very astute. If we could get anything from Roberson, then that lineup might give us an athletic change-of-pace that would make us difficult to match up with. But Grant shifting to the 5 with our current lineup means Gbinije playing on the back line, which as we've seen is far from ideal. When we had to do that two games with Keita out, Gbinije got 1 rebound in two games.

No thank you.

Over the last two years is there a major college hoops team that gets less out of the center position than SU? Probably wouldn't have worked well but out of frustration I might have gone to a smaller lineup a long time ago.
Even Duke gets more production from"centers."

Even Duke gets more production from"centers."

Our center play has been bad. The two combined are avg. 8pts and 9 boards on the year. Rak is avg 6pts and 5 boards playing 23min/game. To put it in perspective, Teague of Seton Hall is 26 min, 11pts and 8 rebs. Ridley of Texas is 25 min, 11 pts and 8 rebs /game.
I watch a ton of CBB and I can think of only 2 teams (UConn and L'ville) that are as inept offensively as us at that spot. BTW, I randomly chose Ridley and Teague because I feel they are above average high major centers. Not superstars but effective. Also, I believe the staff has tried to over recruit our two centers with Coleman and Dakari but it hasn't worked out. Let's hope Rak can stay out of foul trouble and be more consistent in the tourney and next year. We need him to bring his game all the time. LGO.

O absolutely, Jb will definitely make a change at this point in the season, which boeheim have you been following for the past 40 years

O absolutely, Jb will definitely make a change at this point in the season, which boeheim have you been following for the past 40 years

You reading comprehension must not be at a very high level. Did you not get where I said "I know it won't happen" or did you get lost at where I said "just curious what others think around here".

Thank you for your concern in regards to my Boeheim knowledge though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom