Backup QB Discussion | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Backup QB Discussion

Would you rather have a transfer/JUCO if it meant Jakhari transferred out?

Do we think any of the guys we have now in the QB room can get us to 8 wins if McCord goes down mid-season?

That's the question. We saw Carlos Del-Rio look ok in short stints, but then when he had to play, he clearly wasn't up to it yet.

Do you think any of these guys is going to be ready to play against ACC teams by October?

If not, then I think we need another guy. This year is too important to the future of the program to fall to something like 4 wins because of an injury to one guy - especially after they brought in all this other talent.

If we have a disaster year, the Fran Era will be knee capped before it begins.

Players view it differently is the point.

And I don’t think anyone actually said who cares about the back up.

Exactly, different ball game.

Kids aren’t coming to sit and especially transfers from another school

He didnt say all or nothing. He is saying he doesnt have faith in the 2 back up QB's. I dont either based on what I saw last year.

No, he did. He said, "what's your goal, a championship or 8 wins. If it's a championship, then McCord has to stay healthy all year, and the back up doesn't matter."

I said, "no, 8 wins is more important by far than a championship in year one, which is unlikely."

So if the guys we have now are not good enough to play football this year and win games against ACC competition by mid-season if McCord gets hurt, then our year could turn to trash.

I certainly hope that doesn't happen, but when was the last time we made it through a whole season with just one QB?

Does little G have a year left? Paulus 2?

No, he did. He said, "what's your goal, a championship or 8 wins. If it's a championship, then McCord has to stay healthy all year, and the back up doesn't matter."

I said, "no, 8 wins is more important by far than a championship in year one, which is unlikely."

So if the guys we have now are not good enough to play football this year and win games against ACC competition by mid-season if McCord gets hurt, then our year could turn to trash.

I certainly hope that doesn't happen, but when was the last time we made it through a whole season with just one QB?
Ok I gotcha. I guess I took it as if the goal is to win it all then dont rely on the back ups.

If your goal is aligned with our team (ACC Championship), then if QB2 plays, the season is over. That's all I'm saying.

If the goal is 8-4 and a bowl game, then sure, QB2 is important.
I don’t have a dog in this fight but didn’t FSU win the ACC Championship last year with a backup. But I hear what you’re saying there’ll probably be a large drop off from QB1 to QB2

Players view it differently is the point.

And I don’t think anyone actually said who cares about the back up.
No nobody said those words directly. But your response to my post about having competition at QB was its different for QB than other positions because only one player plays and you don't substitute. And to me, If you don't have any competition and depth at QB then your are essentially saying, who cares about the back-up.

They are evaluating the QB position. They know what they have behind McCord. Im gonna assume they will pursue a juco/transfer if they need to. It would have to be a guy that can win you some games. That QB will have to be willing to leave his situation and know there's a good chance he won't play this season. Thats not an easy task.

Last edited:
No nobody said those words directly. But your response to my post about having competition at QB was its different for QB than other positions because only one player plays and you don't substitute. And to me, If you don't have any competition and depth at QB then your are essentially saying, who cares about the back-up.
Again you are missing the point. It’s who are you going to be able to get at this point that could actually contribute and how will it affect the other QBs in the room.

They are evaluating the QB position. They know what they have behind McCord. Im gonna assume they will pursue a juco/transfer if they need to. It would have to be a guy that can win you some games. That QB will have to be willing to leave his situation and know there's a good chance he won't play this season. Thats not a easy task.
True. But there may be a good QB out there who has say 2 years left but got beat out in the spring by an even better QB that has 2+ years of eligibility left. We'd be a better destination for him as our current starter is out after 2024. There are not going to be any QB starting spots up for grabs after Spring. I guess maybe a few situations where there was an injury or a team didn't like what they saw from the current leader and wants more competition. But its hard to win that starting spot in the fall coming to a new team.

Last edited:
Again you are missing the point. It’s who are you going to be able to get at this point that could actually contribute and how will it affect the other QBs in the room.
If the staff thinks CDRW can come in and win some games this is all moot.

But if not I think that is placing too much concern on an incoming unproven frosh all be it a solid QB prospect. You bring in the best talent now. You don't worry about the future especially with the portal era. If Jakhari doesn't want to compete with one other solid QB next year and leaves then so be it and he probably isn't what we want anyway. You can't help that. I don't think that would be the case and I don't think there will be some other magical situation out there that looks better than SU right now. You want the most talent as possible this year. If that player we bring in is a solid player and can be a good back-up this year that is a win even if Jakhari leaves, even though I don't think he should. You sell him that CDRW is not that dude and we had to replace his spot. Jakhari you can compete for the starting spot in 2025 and if you lose out you can start for 3 years after that.

Even if Jakhari left after all of that, when 2025 rolls around you have that solid QB who was a back-up in 2024 and you can likely bring in another transfer QB for 2025 in that same type of situation to compete to start and possibly start in the future as the other QB you are competing with has just that one year. Then you also have the true frosh Carney as well. You worry about the current seasons talent first.

You might not find someone, but it'd be malpractice to not continually look to get better especially in the QB room where we have no capable backup that can win games. We have no idea how well Jakhari will take to the offense since he's not on campus. They might not find someone who fits, but they should be pouring over the portal this spring to see if there is one.

True. But there may be a good QB out there who has say 2 years left but got beat out in the spring by an even better QB that has 2+ years of eligibility left. We'd be a better destination for him as our current starter is out after 2024. There are not going to be any QB starting spots up for grabs after Spring. I guess maybe a few situations where there was an injury or a team didn't like what they saw from the current leader and wants more competition. But its hard to win that starting spot in the fall coming to a new team.
2 years left and got beat out? Are you assuming that this QB will be good? There's an evaluation process/transition with any transfer you get. Whether its a P4 kid with upside or a FCS kid that has game experience and success. We can all throw out scenario's that could work but its a lot harder actually doing it.

You might not find someone, but it'd be malpractice to not continually look to get better especially in the QB room where we have no capable backup that can win games. We have no idea how well Jakhari will take to the offense since he's not on campus. They might not find someone who fits, but they should be pouring over the portal this spring to see if there is one.
I think he is asking who are they going to get. Not that they shouldnt pursue transfers

If the staff thinks CDRW can come in and win some games this is all moot.

But if not I think that is placing too much concern on an incoming unproven frosh all be it a solid QB prospect. You bring in the best talent now. You don't worry about the future especially with the portal era. If Jakhari doesn't want to compete with one other solid QB next year and leaves then so be it and he probably isn't what we want anyway. You can't help that. I don't think that would be the case and I don't think there will be some other magical situation out there that looks better than SU right now. You want the most talent as possible this year. If that player we bring in is a solid player and can be a good back-up this year that is a win even if Jakhari leaves, even though I don't think he should. You sell him that CDRW is not that dude and we had to replace his spot. Jakhari you can compete for the starting spot in 2025 and if you lose out you can start for 3 years after that.

Even if Jakhari left after all of that, when 2025 rolls around you have that solid QB who was a back-up in 2024 and you can likely bring in another transfer QB for 2025 in that same type of situation to compete to start and possibly start in the future as the other QB you are competing with has just that one year. Then you also have the true frosh Carney as well. You worry about the current seasons talent first.
If you think the “best talent” will be available after spring ball and be willing to compete to be back up, good for you. I am skeptical.

It really depends on what Fran and the rest of the staff think about CDRW, Davis and Williams. I am not going to make pronouncements about what they should be doing at this point.

And how much $$$ do they cost

If you think the “best talent” will be available after spring ball and be willing to compete to be back up, good for you. I am skeptical.

There might be some good JUCOs who had to graduate before they are eligible, just like we always see when we are looking for linemen late in the window.

And then what happened?

The committee has set a precedent for the playoff.
You had mentioned the teams goal is to win the ACC and the back up is only important you want to go 8-4. I was just saying the back up was important for FSU to win the ACC(which is the teams goal).

There might be some good JUCOs who had to graduate before they are eligible, just like we always see when we are looking for linemen late in the window.
Could be, but if that is the plan I think we would have offered by now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom