Backup QB Discussion | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Backup QB Discussion

The question is, if McCord goes down, are any of the backups good enough to get us to 8 wins.
Because if they're not, I'd like to get another transfer (maybe a JUCO) with at least 10 games of starters experience.
I get the interest in a QB2. BD is clearly NRFPT and JW will be a frosh. However I'm not ready to write off CDRW: a) we'll have receivers that can get open; b) OG and Villari will give him some short route options; c) an improved OL will protect better and boost the running game reducing the pressure on him to pass; and d) he'll finally be able to play healthy. I think we need to see him with current personnel and coaching before his SU story is written.

Last edited:
Would you rather have a transfer/JUCO if it meant Jakhari transferred out?
I think having a competent back-up this year is important. Unless they are uber confident that Jakhari will be serviceable as a true freshman you bring someone in if you can. This is our first year under a new regime and initial results matter regardless if our star QB gets injured. If McCord goes down we don't write the season off and say oh well. Sucess this year helps us recruit and retain players. We can't have doubts in Fran turning this around.

That said what kind of transfer that is very good with 1 or 2 years left is likely to transfer in. In my opinion, one transfer candidate we could hope for is a mid level talent that has 2 years left and doesn't see a starting opportunity at his current school. A high talent kid with that time left likely will not come in for that situation. He would know he likely won't play in 2024 unless McCord gets hurt and figures he has a shot to win the starting job for 2025 as nobody is currently on the roster that is threatening. That is a possibility. I think it would be unlikely Jakhari transferred out if it was a 1 or 2 year guy we brought in. Even if that transfer turned out to be good and take the reins, that would mean Jakhari would be a redshirt freshman or sophomore by the time he got his shot.

Another option is we bring in a young high talent QB with 3 or 4 years of eligibility left. That could be a possibility as there is not much on the depth chart for SU after 2024. Not a bad situation for a QB if he thinks he could use one more of prep under a start QB and then take over. Possibly Jakhari could leave in that situation but he is a true freshman. Does he think he will not have to compete with anybody? I don't think he's that soft. Can he find a better situation than that?

Last edited:
I think having a competent back-up this year is important. Unless they are uber confident that Jakhari will be serviceable as a true freshman you bring someone in if you can. This is our first year under a new regime and initial results matter regardless if our star QB gets injured. If McCord goes down we don't write the season off and say oh well. Sucess this year helps us recruit and retain players. We can't have doubts in Fran turning this around.

That said what kind of transfer that is very good with 1 or 2 years left is likely to transfer in. In my opinion, one transfer candidate we could hope for is a mid level talent that has 2 years left and doesn't see a starting opportunity at his current school. A high talent kid with that time left likely will not come in for that situation. He would know he likely won't play in 2024 unless McCord gets hurt and figures he has a shot to win the starting job for 2025 as nobody is currently on the roster that is threatening. That is a possibility. I think it would be unlikely Jakhari transferred out if it was a 1 or 2 year guy we brought in. Even if that transfer turned out to be good and take the reins, that would mean Jakhari would be a redshirt freshman or sophomore by the time he got his shot.

Another option is we bring in a young pretty good talent with 3 or 4 years of eligibility left. That could be a possibility as there is not much on the depth chart for SU after 2024. Not a bad situation for a QB if he thinks he could use one more of prep under a start QB and then take over. Possibly Jakhari could leave in that situation but he is a true freshman. Does he think he will not have to compete with anybody? I don't think he's that soft. Can he find a better situation than the current one?
We just dont know what Jakari will want. Its hard to speculate. What makes sense to us might not make sense to him and his situation.

Ultimately I think it comes down to how he is evaluating CDRW right now and what he projects Jakhari to be this year as a true freshman.

We just dont know what Jakari will want. Its hard to speculate. What makes sense to us might not make sense to him and his situation.
Of course Jakhari wouldn't want another QB in the mix. What player wants more talent at their position to compete with for a starting spot? But realistically what better situation is out there? Depending on how Fran projects CDRW, there can't be many solid P4 programs that would just roll the dice with a 3 star true freshman behind their senior starter and then just assume he will be good enough to be the starter in 2025. And we don't really get to evaluate Jakhari at SU until the fall. I like Jakhari and hope he can take over but he has to understand what SU has to do as well.

Fran likes competition happening at all positions. IF we have some guys that are not competing good enough at QB we need to bring more in. What makes QB any different?

Of course Jakhari wouldn't want another QB in the mix. What player wants more talent at their position to compete with for a starting spot? But realistically what better situation is out there? Depending on how Fran projects CDRW, there can't be many solid P4 programs that would just roll the dice with a 3 star true freshman behind their senior starter and then just assume he will be good enough to be the starter in 2025. And we don't really get to evaluate Jakhari at SU until the fall. I like Jakhari and hope he can take over but he has to understand what SU has to do as well.

Fran likes competition happening at all positions. IF we have some guys that are not competing good enough at QB we need to bring more in. What makes QB any different?
Im not suggesting what the staff should do. Im speaking on the player's prospective. My point is that we dont know what he is gonna think once that situation is presented. He will have different influences in his ear etc...

Im not suggesting what the staff should do. Im speaking on the player's prospective. My point is that we dont know what he is gonna think once that situation is presented. He will have different influences in his ear etc...
That is the same with any player at any position. You bring in as much talent as possible and let them compete. Cream will rise to the top. Even if we bring in another QB I'd like to know what situation Jakhari could get that he would consider better with less competition. And you can't worry about unproven kids leaving. If Jakhari ultimately leaves then you have another good spot you can offer to other highly capable options that will want it.

IF...Fran doesn't think CDRW has what it takes he has to bring someone else in. We aren't going to go into 2025 with Jakhari as a redshirt frosh or true sophomore and then just have a true freshman in Luke Carney as back-up. That doesn't seem smart. So the question is do you take someone after spring ball so you have him as a back-up and you can evaluate him now for 2025? Or do you pass for now as a bit of a gamble and then have a better situation to bring in a high level starting caliber QB in 2025 spring ball because their is practically nobody there for him to compete with except for a couple really young kids.

And I know Braden Davis is on the roster. Not trying to be rude at all, but until something has been presented that makes it seem like he has a shot to play here i'm leaving him out of the calculation. Until then I'm just assuming he is mostly just another arm.

That is the same with any player at any position. You bring in as much talent as possible and let them compete. Cream will rise to the top. Even if we bring in another QB I'd like to know what situation Jakhari could get that he would consider better with less competition. And you can't worry about unproven kids leaving. If Jakhari ultimately leaves then you have another good spot you can offer to other highly capable options that will want it.

IF...Fran doesn't think CDRW has what it takes he has to bring someone else in. We aren't going to go into 2025 with Jakhari as a redshirt frosh or true sophomore and then just have a true freshman in Luke Carney as back-up. That doesn't seem smart. So the question is do you take someone after spring ball so you have him as a back-up and you can evaluate him now for 2025? Or do you pass for now as a bit of a gamble and then have a better situation to bring in a high level starting caliber QB in 2025 spring ball because their is practically nobody there for him to compete with except for a couple really young kids.

And I know Braden Davis is on the roster. Not trying to be rude at all, but until something has been presented that makes it seem like he has a shot to play here i'm leaving him out of the calculation. Until then I'm just assuming he is mostly just another arm.
Cream will rise to the top (and make your star QB recruit transfer elsewhere if he thinks he's blocked).

It makes no sense to bring in another player for a CHANCE that your starter gets injured this year, especially when you have two fairly capable backups in Jakhari and Del Rio-Wilson.

Hope for some early season blowouts so Jakhari gets some reps.
I'm sure Fran has him plugged in to the program somehow, even though he's not yet on campus.

None of this changes what Jakahri's mindset will be at that time.

As far as the staff why do you assume they want pursue a transfer if they are not getting what they need from Jahkari and the current back ups? I think its pretty obvious they know what they need.

I get the interest in a QB2. BD is clearly NRFPT and JW will be a frosh. However I'm not ready to write off CDRW: a) we'll have better receivers who can separate and not get jammed or run out of bounds; b) OG and Villari will give him some short route options; c) an improved OL will protect better and boost the running game reducing the pressure on him to pass; and d) he'll finally be able to play healthy. I think we need to see him with current personnel and coaching before his SU story is written.
The way the energy completely flipped after he came in for GS during that ND game in 2022 won me over forever. He looked so good, I remember leaving that game thinking we have a future pro after Shrader is done. My god was I wrong lol. But still, I have a sliver of hope he can still do some good things for us. He's got a rifle of an arm, a quick release, good mobility and ability to throw on the run. Not sure what happened and why he hasn't been able to figure it out since

Cream will rise to the top (and make your star QB recruit transfer elsewhere if he thinks he's blocked).

It makes no sense to bring in another player for a CHANCE that your starter gets injured this year, especially when you have two fairly capable backups in Jakhari and Del Rio-Wilson.
I disagree. Its not only for this year, Its also for the 2025 reasons? So you don't think we bring in another QB for 2025 and you just roll with only an unproven Jakhari? What frosh QB or true frosh QB thinks he can come into a P4 level program and be handed the job without any completion? The staff should present it to the kid as they have to do this and make him understand. Fran can do that. You are putting way too many eggs in the basket of a 3 star true freshman QB. We are talking about the most important position on the team. Other programs don't do this. Why would we?

Jakhari and CDRW will be our backups

Sorry if y’all don’t like it
I'm fine with this if he thinks CDRW can be a player. All of my speculation is dependent on what he deems CDRW as.
Its possible he can be a true contributor as I feel like we didn't get to see him much healthy last year. So if he thinks he can be a player great!

I disagree. Its not only for this year, Its also for the 2025 reasons? So you don't think we bring in another QB for 2025 and you just roll with only an unproven Jakhari? What frosh QB or true frosh QB thinks he can come into a P4 level program and be handed the job without any completion? The staff should present it to the kid as they have to do this and make him understand. Fran can do that. You are putting way too many eggs in the basket of a 3 star true freshman QB. We are talking about the most important position on the team. Other programs don't do this. Why would we?

If he ain’t it, the staff will know by next season and will look for a transfer then.

If he ain’t it, the staff will know by next season and will look for a transfer then.
i agree with this if they think CDRW will likely be a viable back-up in 2024. You can't hope the frosh will be. I hope he is better than CDRW and is the first off the bench but imo you can't go into the season banking on that.

QB is different because only one player plays that position on the field for a given play and there is not the regular substitution like there is at other positions.

QB is different because only one player plays that position on the field for a given play and there is not the regular substitution like there is at other positions.
QB is different in that your starter gets the bulk of the practice snaps. That doesn't mean you don't want other players pushing your QB starter to be better and the depth pushing each other to make the future starters better. You don't say this one player is what we roll with and who cares about anything else behind them.

But If they end up saying they have some trust in CDRW then great! I'm just less sure of him going into this season than i was going into last season. But I can't watch the practices.

Guys, Fran Brown isn’t going to bring a back up qb in

It costs too much $$$$ for a win or two at most

He’s going to ride with what he has and if a McCord gets hurt then it is what it is
I'm completely comfortable with that.

The tradeoff is - if McCord goes down, it's incumbent on the staff to coach up one of the other options to give us a viable chance to win games.

We want to talk about winning championships and stuff, I'm on board. But championship seasons don't happen in isolation - the successes and failures of previous seasons are factors. If McCord goes down in game 2 and we say, well, guess we're not going to achieve our goals this season that's one thing. It can't also mean next year's goals are impossible.

QB2 will be here in the summer.

And unless something crazy changes, QB2 this year is expected to be QB1 in 2025 opener v Tennessee

Which means QB2 will see some action besides handing off the ball at the end of a pointless game

QB is different in that your starter gets the bulk of the practice snaps. That doesn't mean you don't want other players pushing your QB starter to be better and the depth pushing each other to make the future starters better. You don't say this one player is what we roll with and who cares about anything else behind them.

But If they end up saying they have some trust in CDRW then great! I'm just less sure of him going into this season than i was going into last season. But I can't watch the practices.
Players view it differently is the point.

And I don’t think anyone actually said who cares about the back up.

QB2 will be here in the summer.

And unless something crazy changes, QB2 this year is expected to be QB1 in 2025 opener v Tennessee

Which means QB2 will see some action besides handing off the ball at the end of a pointless game

Yup, 100%.

The QB2 for him will be here in 2025 and will do the same thing for likely 2 years if things go well and then Mr. Carney will take the reigns for Jakhari

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom