backup qbs | Syracusefan.com

backup qbs

tipphill

All Conference
any one have any info on the backup qbs strengths and weakness??? we need to have qb who can run an option and throw as needed.
devito maybe good but not with this offense----he needs protection and time---he is not use to what he is getting. he cannot adapt to it.

any one have any info on the backup qbs strengths and weakness??? we need to have qb who can run an option and throw as needed.
devito maybe good but not with this offense----he needs protection and time---he is not use to what he is getting. he cannot adapt to it.

Run an option? This isn't 1970's wishbone football.

There is no back up. We are all in on TD.

This is insane. To think we need to start considering a different QB, after 3 career starts, and ABSOLUTELY NO PTOTECTION from the line, is really shortsighted. Tom Brady wouldn't look good behind our line.
Tommy will be fine. He is, for all intents and purposes, a freshman QB with 3 career starts. This is going to be a rough year for him, but a very valuable experience that will pay dividends his junior, and senior seasons. I think that is how we need to approach this.

This is insane. To think we need to start considering a different QB, after 3 career starts, and ABSOLUTELY NO PTOTECTION from the line, is really shortsighted. Tom Brady wouldn't look good behind our line.
Tommy will be fine. He is, for all intents and purposes, a freshman QB with 3 career starts. This is going to be a rough year for him, but a very valuable experience that will pay dividends his junior, and senior seasons. I think that is how we need to approach this.
yes he is running for his life and play calling has been dismal. yes he is not getting the protection that he needs(which i said ). it is insane that we continue to do the same things knowing that what continues to happen!!!! maybe we need to change the offensive play calling, maybe we need to have a different scheme, and Maybe we need to have a dual qb situation. to keep repeating the same mistakes AND EXPECT A DIFFERENT OUTCOME IS INSANE

I think it's interesting to ask about the backups, but only in the context that one of these 75 sacks per game pushes them into action.

I'm afraid I don't want to find out the answer though.

If you think a backup QB is the right answer right now, then you're asking the wrong question.

If TD goes down this season with an injury, we will be in big trouble. The "back-up" we were supposed to have is at CC...and not playing there right now BTW. QB depth has been an issue here for many years except for last year. I don't think you will see TD doing much designed running this year.

If you haven't yet, listen to the presser from Dino yesterday, specifically the part when he talks about Tommy.

Tommy is our leader and will steer the ship for the next 3 years, its Dinos job to put him in the best position to be successful with a serviceable o-line and weapons on offense to run the offense schemed

I believe Ryan Nassib was receiving the same sort of treatment early in his career and Dungey was bashed for most of his career and folks where calling for Tommy most of last season...
Love this a 1000x. Same people here who wanted Dungey out and called Devito the savior now want Devito out and want to call Welch the savior. Just stop it.

yes he is running for his life and play calling has been dismal. yes he is not getting the protection that he needs(which i said ). it is insane that we continue to do the same things knowing that what continues to happen!!!! maybe we need to change the offensive play calling, maybe we need to have a different scheme, and Maybe we need to have a dual qb situation. to keep repeating the same mistakes AND EXPECT A DIFFERENT OUTCOME IS INSANE
Serious question? What can he try on offense that will negate the offensive line problems. We've run 2 back sets for extra help...doesn't seem to help. We've tried the quick passing game, Tommy is still getting hurried.
Like it or not, this is probably going to be a take your lumps due to turnover, kind of season. Every program has them. What hurts is that it's happening 1 year after our first quality year, so the perception is that it's same ol' Syracuse.

it's just one hit away. better have a backup plan in place. and best be prepared to finish the season.

Serious question? What can he try on offense that will negate the offensive line problems. We've run 2 back sets for extra help...doesn't seem to help. We've tried the quick passing game, Tommy is still getting hurried.
Like it or not, this is probably going to be a take your lumps due to turnover, kind of season. Every program has them. What hurts is that it's happening 1 year after our first quality year, so the perception is that it's same ol' Syracuse.
what hurts is recruiting!!!!

Easy on the Tom Brady comparison lol. I can think of several throws I am pretty sure Brady would and wouldn't have made.

He’s big so hopefully if we see him he doesn’t get hurt and #3 doesn’t play. Don’t know anything else.

Tommy is not getting adequate protection for the type QB he is, however he must learn to not make stupid decisions when under duress as I am sorry to say he will be this season. He has turned the ball over in each of the last three games, and I do not care what excuses Dino is making for him, that cannot continue. If he can not learn to adjust to this situation, this will not be a good year for us. I am not at practices so I can not say if we have anyone who could. I am afraid this is shaping up to be a tough year.

Screen game- both bubble and to the running backs. Counters/misdirection that rely on over pursuit. They tried draws but it’s this weird super delayed draw where tommy and the running back were getting creamed. The other thing you can do that they did one drive then never went back to was to leak moe out of the backfield as a pseudo hot read. If you can block you might as well be on a pattern.

There was not much of the screen game vs Clemson. And that defense is really good and the coordinator is probably the best in college football. It was really a form of art watching those stunts.

We will still have problems with other defenses but I doubt we see one as good as Clemson this year.

We need to keep our eyes on some potential options on the transfer portal market. Situations worth monitoring:

1) Florida - with Kyle Trask taking over the reigns and looking great in relief, Feleipe Franks may be looking for a fresh start after recovering from injury

2) Alabama - with Tua's younger brother taking over next season, Mac Jones could take the Joe Burrow career path and look for a new home

3) Miami - N'kosi Perry and Tate Martell would both be capable starters in Babers' offense

4) UCF - With Dillon Gabriel in line to take over for Brandon Wimbush this year and/or next, Darriel Mack may enter the portal. He put up big numbers last year in relief of McKenzie Milton

5) Auburn - Freshman Bo Nix is entrenched as the starter. Redshirt freshman Joey Gatewood was a heralded recruit who would look great in Orange

ff.jpg

We haven’t really done the quick game. No slants, no middle passes ala Phillips, rarely throws inside hashes, and almost no te passes.

I'm thinking more quick kicks on 3rd down...maybe even 2nd down, that ought to screw up the opposing D's heads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom