backup qbs | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

backup qbs

its odd that no one comments on the backup qb's. be that as it may, our recruiting remains average or slightly below. we need to finish big, particularly in a bowl, to get on the recruiting board. our first 3 games has all but taken us off the board.
coaching has been HIGHLY questionable

falling the sky is yoda.jpg

its odd that no one comments on the backup qb's. be that as it may, our recruiting remains average or slightly below. we need to finish big, particularly in a bowl, to get on the recruiting board. our first 3 games has all but taken us off the board.

You told me Rutgers was going to win a lot of games based on their recruiting so

Not really true that no one comments on the backup QBs.

I’ve told you, as have others, that they’re not as good as Tommy.

What part of that do you fail to understand?

Not really true that no one comments on the backup QBs.

I’ve told you, as have others, that they’re not as good as Tommy.

What part of that do you fail to understand?
i did not ask if they are good as tommy?????what part of that do you not understand??? i asked what their strengths and weaknesses are. i am questioning coaching scheme given the ol breakdown. hopefully we will do better with this weeks opponent.
like or not chuck, the questions need to be asked. i feel for devito he has been getting creamed ---maybe he can catch a break this week---

i did not ask if they are good as tommy?????what part of that do you not understand??? i asked what their strengths and weaknesses are. i am questioning coaching scheme given the ol breakdown. hopefully we will do better with this weeks opponent.
like or not chuck, the questions need to be asked. i feel for devito he has been getting creamed ---maybe he can catch a break this week---

Strengths: Tall
Weakeness: Not as good as TD at passing the football

This is a bad take. This is a bad thread. Asking about our back up QB's is a dumb question. I have banged the "this is a fan forum and we should be able to have open conversations about anything pertaining to the team" drum since joining this site over 10 years ago, but this non-sense is just so overwhelmingly silly that now I'm starting to question myself.

But, as to not be a hypocrite, let's talk about our back up QB's.

Clayton Welch: Big, imposing dude (6-5 243), who, from the little I've seen of him, has a an average back up D1 arm and limited mobility. However, I will concede that at the POWER HOUSE Butte College, he did run for over 800 yards and 11 touchdowns... But to be fair, Butte is a community college... Sooo... Ya know, take that for what its worth. So, is his throwing capabilities better than TD? Not even close. Is his mobility better than TD's? Absolutely! If he can carve defenses up with his legs at the community college level, he will make the ACC say Lamar Jackson who?! Anymore questions? Okay, great, moving on...

Good Ol Rexaford Culpepper: First, let me say, bs aside, I love this kid. Type of dude you'd wanna smash a few brews with, go smack a few at the batting cages, and end the day whippin some quads down a country trail. Good kid, from a good family, and is the exact type of person you'd want on your football team. Like Clayton, he's a big boy (6'3 223) however, I'd say he's probably the better athlete of the two. However, outside a few flashes, doesn't really have D1 arm. We flirted with him playing TE, before ultimately moving him back to QB. From what I remember, he has a strange throwing motion. Could we win with him at QB? Ehhhhh, maybeeee. And thats a very tentative maybe, but honestly he was moved to TE for a reason.

David Summers: Big, orange, and young. Kid took to the SC this summer and now is one big looking freshman. Not much else to say here other than he's young and most clips I saw during spring ball was of him lunching throws into the dirt.

So, there it is, take your pick! Not much of a discussion outside or re-hashing our back ups for the sake of uhh idk, killing some time before the game this Saturday? Tommy is head and shoulders THE BEST QB ON THE ROSTER AND IT'S NOT EVEN CLOSE. Tommy will be good, I still think he will be one of the best QB's SU's had. Am I disappointed so far? Sure. But here's the deal, we had a nice season last season but have a lot of new pieces in place on the offense. Tommy is not the issue here but understandably, will be the one people point to while they impatiently wait for the spark that lights a fire under this teams butt. 1-2 with 9 to go!

IMO...Tommy was never going to lead this team to greatness this year. He is learning and not catching anybody off guard. Last year he was coming in for Eric, defenses scouted Eric not Tommy. Defenses now have tape on Tommy and can prepare. Winning this year was supposed to come from the running game and defense. Tommy was supposed to be a game manager until he develops into the type of QB that whether you scout him or not he will still beat you. I'm no talent scout but I agree with the majority, I've seen nothing from the backups to even question TD as our current and future starter. He's just being asked to do more than he should be asked right now.

TD is the 100% QB for 2019 and probably well beyond barring some ridiculous transfer ...

Ok stepping aside from that...

to call anyone out for asking who the backup QBs are, after the week we just saw in the NFL, is ridiculous. It’s valid to want to know who would be under center of an ankle turns the wrong way. Regardless of the context, the fact is, I’ve never felt so uninformed as to the skill sets of our backup QBs.

Stepping aside from that...OP you DID did come off trollish with your circa 1970s offense references...

IMO...Tommy was never going to lead this team to greatness this year. He is learning and not catching anybody off guard. Last year he was coming in for Eric, defenses scouted Eric not Tommy. Defenses now have tape on Tommy and can prepare. Winning this year was supposed to come from the running game and defense. Tommy was supposed to be a game manager until he develops into the type of QB that whether you scout him or not he will still beat you. I'm no talent scout but I agree with the majority, I've seen nothing from the backups to even question TD as our current and future starter. He's just being asked to do more than he should be asked right now.

* This year* is three games in lol

TD is the 100% QB for 2019 and probably well beyond barring some ridiculous transfer ...

Ok stepping aside from that...

to call anyone out for asking who the backup QBs are, after the week we just saw in the NFL, is ridiculous. It’s valid to want to know who would be under center of an ankle turns the wrong way. Regardless of the context, the fact is, I’ve never felt so uninformed as to the skill sets of our backup QBs.

Stepping aside from that...OP you DID did come off trollish with your circa 1970s offense references...

That's not why he asked. He asked because, according to him, TD isn't going to be successful in this offense... Which is a short sided, knee jerk, ridiculous assumption.

* This year* is three games in lol
No it's 12, maybe 13. Don't argue math with me. I has a digree in mathumatics.

Seriously, I think you missed the entire point of what I was trying to say. It's not a negative post about TD. It was post that basically said we were supposed to lean on other elements of the team this year. Not our first year QB.

No it's 12, maybe 13. Don't argue math with me. I has a digree in mathumatics.

Seriously, I think you missed the entire point of what I was trying to say. It's not a negative post about TD. It was post that basically said we were supposed to lean on other elements of the team this year. Not our first year QB.

To be fair - I agree - I thought the running game would be better and our WR’s would be more in sync. What I disagree with is the idea that TD won’t “lead the team to greatness this year” ... it’s to early to tell and sure early returns don’t look good - but I wouldn’t write him or the staff off just yet.

We need to keep our eyes on some potential options on the transfer portal market. Situations worth monitoring:

1) Florida - with Kyle Trask taking over the reigns and looking great in relief, Feleipe Franks may be looking for a fresh start after recovering from injury

2) Alabama - with Tua's younger brother taking over next season, Mac Jones could take the Joe Burrow career path and look for a new home

3) Miami - N'kosi Perry and Tate Martell would both be capable starters in Babers' offense

4) UCF - With Dillon Gabriel in line to take over for Brandon Wimbush this year and/or next, Darriel Mack may enter the portal. He put up big numbers last year in relief of McKenzie Milton

5) Auburn - Freshman Bo Nix is entrenched as the starter. Redshirt freshman Joey Gatewood was a heralded recruit who would look great in Orange

View attachment 170095
Expectations have truly broken some of the people on this board when people are clamoring for Feleipe Franks and Tate Martell. Good lord.

You'd think people expected us to go 15-0 this season.

Expectations have truly broken some of the people on this board when people are clamoring for Feleipe Franks and Tate Martell. Good lord.

We lost by 40, 2 weeks in a row. It’s been an absolute nightmare of a start, regardless of expectations.

Well some of the stuff from this past summer really wasn't that far off from that. The expectations here were way off base considering what we lost. That said the performances so far especially from the offense, has been beyond disappointing and some of the stuff we have heard from the staff ie "We didn't have any film" has been less then thrilling.

Last edited:

Nice cherry picking. You think DeVito would’ve started over Franks, and won the starting job at Miami? Anyway, what about the others I mentioned?

Nice cherry picking. You think DeVito would’ve started over Franks, and won the starting job at Miami? Anyway, what about the others I mentioned?

Franks and Mac Jones would both be upgrades over Tommy.

Tate and Gatewood would both be an improvement from a playmaker perspective when you take into account the performance of our line so far. I have no idea how either one would be throwing the ball though.

Perry wasn't great but was young last year so if we give Tommy the benefit of the doubt his third year in the program I guess you have to do the same for Perry's performance last year?

I don't know much about Mack.

This is a bad take. This is a bad thread. Asking about our back up QB's is a dumb question. I have banged the "this is a fan forum and we should be able to have open conversations about anything pertaining to the team" drum since joining this site over 10 years ago, but this non-sense is just so overwhelmingly silly that now I'm starting to question myself.

But, as to not be a hypocrite, let's talk about our back up QB's.

Clayton Welch: Big, imposing dude (6-5 243), who, from the little I've seen of him, has a an average back up D1 arm and limited mobility. However, I will concede that at the POWER HOUSE Butte College, he did run for over 800 yards and 11 touchdowns... But to be fair, Butte is a community college... Sooo... Ya know, take that for what its worth. So, is his throwing capabilities better than TD? Not even close. Is his mobility better than TD's? Absolutely! If he can carve defenses up with his legs at the community college level, he will make the ACC say Lamar Jackson who?! Anymore questions? Okay, great, moving on...

Good Ol Rexaford Culpepper: First, let me say, bs aside, I love this kid. Type of dude you'd wanna smash a few brews with, go smack a few at the batting cages, and end the day whippin some quads down a country trail. Good kid, from a good family, and is the exact type of person you'd want on your football team. Like Clayton, he's a big boy (6'3 223) however, I'd say he's probably the better athlete of the two. However, outside a few flashes, doesn't really have D1 arm. We flirted with him playing TE, before ultimately moving him back to QB. From what I remember, he has a strange throwing motion. Could we win with him at QB? Ehhhhh, maybeeee. And thats a very tentative maybe, but honestly he was moved to TE for a reason.

David Summers: Big, orange, and young. Kid took to the SC this summer and now is one big looking freshman. Not much else to say here other than he's young and most clips I saw during spring ball was of him lunching throws into the dirt.

So, there it is, take your pick! Not much of a discussion outside or re-hashing our back ups for the sake of uhh idk, killing some time before the game this Saturday? Tommy is head and shoulders THE BEST QB ON THE ROSTER AND IT'S NOT EVEN CLOSE. Tommy will be good, I still think he will be one of the best QB's SU's had. Am I disappointed so far? Sure. But here's the deal, we had a nice season last season but have a lot of new pieces in place on the offense. Tommy is not the issue here but understandably, will be the one people point to while they impatiently wait for the spark that lights a fire under this teams butt. 1-2 with 9 to go!
I appreciate your take on this. well if we can block for the run and occaisional screen, keeper, quick over the middle etc etc --we may have fared better.
your caps about tommy r not necessary. that is obvious.
however, given the scheme, how has that worked for him???? please answer this question??
i feel that a dual qb system MAYBE a suggestion at this point. this opens up a multitude of possibilities (or threat thereof)
again, thanks for your take

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom