Bad loss to a horrible team | Syracusefan.com

Bad loss to a horrible team

GoSU96

Living Legend
but some of you people are nuts.

Rutgers needed about 10 plays to go their way to win this in dbl ot. SU executes on any one of them and it's game over.

The coaches overthought it in spots, 3rd and 1 trying to hit a wheel route the first play you get the ball over the 50, really?

Throwing a slant on the goal line to a kid on his first catch attempt ever, come on.

Going for the punt block on 3rd and 19 deep in the Rutgers end of the field?

Blind screen after getting the ball on the 30?

I've seen people blame conservative playcalling and yet those were not conservative calls and all of them blew up.

They were doing better in the run game than they thought they would and didn't it trust in the basics. The OL did a very good job of minimizing penetration by the Rutgers DL. The staff needed to trust in that and the outcome is likely different.

They turn the ball over 4 times in regulation with 2 kick blocks and still should have won. Crazy. 0 pts on three short fields after turnovers, bad job by all.

It's on the players to. Phil needs to catch the ball first, that's a TD. Nassib was off all day. Chew needs to make that 3rd down catch. You can't get PF on 3rd and long when you have them stopped. Three possessions extended because of defensive/st penalties.

They should have been up 24-6 at middle of the 4th at a minimum.

Agree 100%, I can't believe some of these posts.. The special teams were attrocious, I get that. I actually have been surprised they haven't been worse yet... the playcalling was anything but conservative. It wasn't very good but it wasn't conservative

but some of you people are nuts.

Rutgers needed about 10 plays to go their way to win this in dbl ot. SU executes on any one of them and it's game over.

The coaches overthought it in spots, 3rd and 1 trying to hit a wheel route the first play you get the ball over the 50, really?

Throwing a slant on the goal line to a kid on his first catch attempt ever, come on.

Going for the punt block on 3rd and 19 deep in the Rutgers end of the field?

Blind screen after getting the ball on the 30?

I've seen people blame conservative playcalling and yet those were not conservative calls and all of them blew up.

They were doing better in the run game than they thought they would and didn't it trust in the basics. The OL did a very good job of minimizing penetration by the Rutgers DL. The staff needed to trust in that and the outcome is likely different.

They turn the ball over 4 times in regulation with 2 kick blocks and still should have won. Crazy. 0 pts on three short fields after turnovers, bad job by all.

It's on the players to. Phil needs to catch the ball first, that's a TD. Nassib was off all day. Chew needs to make that 3rd down catch. You can't get PF on 3rd and long when you have them stopped. Three possessions extended because of defensive/st penalties.

They should have been up 24-6 at middle of the 4th at a minimum.

I think you summed it up beautifully. The consolation that I take from this parting gift to the 'Girls was that they really needed everything to go right just for the chance to beat us. Unfortunately, that happened. But I come out of this game knowing that we are clearly the better football team (which I was unsure of going in). The defense, which still is playing without its two best players, had its best showing of the year (by far).

I keep hearing from some on the board that this loss can be purely chalked up to coaching. Though I agree with all that the coaching in this game did not put our players in the best position to win, I think its also fair to say that it easily could have been overcome by the guys in the unis if they make a play here or there (Phil's INT for TD for example).

Just a gift-wrapped win for the Ladies, theres no question about it. And Marrone should take the heat for this one. But I tend to think of it more as a bad day at the office for him than as a disturbing trend. I actually feel better about the rest of the season after watching the Defense play as well as they did. The Offense? Nassib with his worst game as a starter but again, I think he's proven this year to be a pretty good QB who just had a bad day at the office. He didn't get much help from his RB (you can not fumble twice in a game) and his WRs (Foster and Chew's drops) either.

I think we'll come out strong next Saturday, pound Tulane into the ground, and get two weeks to figure out how to compete with the Mountaineers at 4-2.

That's probably the hardest thing to digest. We didn't need a few things to go our way, we just needed ONE of about a dozen plays to hit and it's game over.

That's probably the hardest thing to digest. We didn't need a few things to go our way, we just needed ONE of about a dozen plays to hit and it's game over.
This was like the games at Minny or OU in the '90s. 5 TO's or special teams plays go south and still need a miracle kick to lose late. They did exactly what they need to do in the second OT short of getting the ball and their kicker makes a 47 yarder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom