Baseball as it was | Syracusefan.com

Baseball as it was

SWC75

Bored Historian
I loved finding historical sports clips on You-Tube, especially if they were created at the time, either as a live broadcast or a documentary done at the time. I thought I'd create a thread for such things regarding baseball. I was born in 1953 and am thus fascinated with the materials that covers the 50's and 60's, when I was grown up. I'll post one a day for a while.

Here's one from 1958 featuring the Chicago White Sox and Johnny Callison, their top young prospect of the time. Johnny was later traded to the Phillies, where he became one of the best players in the National League in the 60's, hitting a walk off home run to win the 1964 All Star game among other accomplishments. Here he is as a wide-eyed teenager getting his chance at the big leagues.

A similar documentary from the Detroit Tigers in the same year. They don't focus on one player, through.

All good stuff. Love old time baseball when most of the players had off season jobs and the fields looked like sandlots.

I loved finding historical sports clips on You-Tube, especially if they were created at the time, either as a live broadcast or a documentary done at the time. I thought I'd create a thread for such things regarding baseball. I was born in 1953 and am thus fascinated with the materials that covers the 50's and 60's, when I was grown up. I'll post one a day for a while.

Here's one from 1958 featuring the Chicago White Sox and Johnny Callison, their top young prospect of the time. Johnny was later traded to the Phillies, where he became one of the best players in the National League in the 60's, hitting a walk off home run to win the 1964 All Star game among other accomplishments. Here he is as a wide-eyed teenager getting his chance at the big leagues.

The attendant music really sets the tone and the era. It's exciting.

The used to call the Senators the "Nationals", even though they were in the American League

Spent way too much time watching these.
Can't help it.
Different era.
Different ethos.

Milwaukee Braves at Los Angeles Dodgers 9/29/59

Milwaukee Braves at Los Angeles Dodgers 9/29/59

What was the left field foul pole distance? Was it even 200 feet?

What was the left field foul pole distance? Was it even 200 feet?

Take a look at Duke Snider's power output from 1958 on to see what happened to left-handed power hitters in the Coliseum:

Duke Snider Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Rookie Status & More | Baseball-Reference.com

I've never understood why baseball has irregular outfield dimensions and why centerfield has to be farther than right and left field. When a batter gets the good wood on the ball, it tends to do to right or left field, not to center. A football field, a hockey rink or a basketball court have standard dimensions, at least at the professional level. Some say it's 'charming ' that each baseball stadium has different dimensions but is it charming that Felix Mantilla hit 54 home runs in 320 games for the Red Sox and 35 in 620 games for Braves, Mets and Astros combined?

Last edited:

There are five guys on that list still living and the youngest is 81 years old. (Depending on who is #29).

Larry Burright, Doug Camilli, Sandy Koufax, Ken McMullen, Joe Moeller

Here is the roster for the 1962 Dodgers with their numbers. There is no #29:

And yet he appears at 13:38. He's a black player. That's all I've got on him.

By the way, I had some soft jazz music playing in the background as I re-watched this. It seemed to fit:

Last edited:

Take a look at Duke Snider's power output from 1958 on to see what happened to left-handed power hitters in the Coliseum:

Duke Snider Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Rookie Status & More | Baseball-Reference.com

I've never understood why baseball has irregular outfield dimensions and why centerfield has to be farther than right and left field. When a batter gets the good wood on the ball, it tends to do to right or left field, not to center. A football field, a hockey rink or a basketball court have standard dimensions, at least at the professional level. Some say it's 'charming ' that each baseball stadium has different dimensions but is it charming that Felix Mantilla hit 54 home runs in 320 games for the Red Sox and 35 in 620 games for Braves, Mets and Astros combined?

Crazy.
Baseball is also the only sport, I think, where the Manager wears a uniform for some reason. Baseball has a lot of quirks like that.

I always understood the reason for the irregular dimensions was because many of the stadiums had to fit in tight urban neighborhoods. All those stadiums were torn down and MLB went cookie cutter. Then they were replaced by more irregular dimensions inspired by nostalgia.

I always understood the reason for the irregular dimensions was because many of the stadiums had to fit in tight urban neighborhoods. All those stadiums were torn down and MLB went cookie cutter. Then they were replaced by more irregular dimensions inspired by nostalgia.

Even the cookie cutters had a longer distance to center field than right or left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom