Balk-
Out- 20
Error- 5
Sac Fly- 21
Sac Bunt- 1
Wild Pitch- 4
Passed Ball- 2
Hit by Pitch- 2
The other guys have scored 423 runs so 40% of their runs come from home runs.

The Mets had leads of 2-0 in the first inning, 5-2 in the sixth inning, 4-0 in the sixth inning and 3-1 in the ninth innings of each game and got swept. The Phillies bullpen gave up 4 runs in four games, (3 in the ninth inning today). The Mets bullpen gave up 17 runs in four games. The Phillies got 18 of their 31 runs from homers, (58%). The Mets scored 10 of their 19 runs from homers (53%). That's baseball in Philadelphia.

After the Braves series (6/28-30/19)

METS
Single- 105
Double- 58
Triple- 6
Home Run- 187
Walk- 10
Balk- 1
Out- 15
Error- 3
Sac Fly- 13
Sac Bunt-
Wild Pitch- 3
Passed Ball-
Hit by Pitch- 3
The Mets have scored 404 runs so 46% are from home runs

OTHER GUYS
Single- 119
Double- 79
Triple- 4
Home Run- 173
Walk- 5
Balk-
Out- 20
Error- 5
Sac Fly- 22
Sac Bunt- 1
Wild Pitch- 4
Passed Ball- 2
Hit by Pitch- 2
The other guys have scored 439 runs so 39% of their runs come from home runs.

The Mets scored just 3 of 14 runs via home runs, (21.4%). The Braves scored 5 of 16 that way, (31%), so it was a series that put a premium on other ways of scoring. The big thing was that the Mets lost 7 straight games in which they had at least a 2 run read. The starters gave up 18 runs, the bullpen 23. the game that broke the streak was similar: the Mets lost a 5-4 lead when the braves scored two runs off of Chris Flexen. But they something they did not do in the seven previous games: they answered, retaking the lead to win 8-5.

What is it with these 2 game series with the Yankees? they might as well be mayor's trophy games.

After the Yankees series (7/2-3/19)

METS
Single- 105
Double- 61
Triple- 6
Home Run- 189
Walk- 10
Balk- 1
Out- 15
Error- 3
Sac Fly- 13
Sac Bunt-
Wild Pitch- 3
Passed Ball-
Hit by Pitch- 3
The Mets have scored 409 runs so 46% are from home runs

OTHER GUYS
Single- 122
Double- 80
Triple- 4
Home Run- 175
Walk- 5
Balk-
Out- 20
Error- 5
Sac Fly- 23
Sac Bunt- 1
Wild Pitch- 4
Passed Ball- 2
Hit by Pitch- 2
The other guys have scored 446 runs so 39% of their runs come from home runs.

The Mets scored 3 runs on doubles and 2 on homers, a 40% rate. The Yankees scored 3 on singles, 1 on a double, 2 on homers and 1 on a sac fly, so 29% of their scores came from home runs.

After the Phillies series (7/5-7/19)

METS
Single- 106
Double- 67
Triple- 6
Home Run- 193
Walk- 10
Balk- 1
Out- 15
Error- 3
Sac Fly- 13
Sac Bunt-
Wild Pitch- 3
Passed Ball-
Hit by Pitch- 3
The Mets have scored 420 runs so 46% are from home runs

OTHER GUYS
Single- 127
Double- 87
Triple- 4
Home Run- 183
Walk- 5
Balk-
Out- 20
Error- 5
Sac Fly- 23
Sac Bunt- 1
Wild Pitch- 4
Passed Ball- 2
Hit by Pitch- 2
The other guys have scored 466 runs so 39% of their runs come from home runs.

In this series the Mets scored 4 of 11 runs by the homer (36%) and the Phillies 8 of 20 runs (40%). Add Jay Bruce to the list of players who play well for everybody but the Mets. he hit 7 home runs in 43 games for the 2017 Indians, who got white hot as soon as he joined them. he hit 9 home runs in 94 games for last year's Mets. He has 22 home runs in 744 games this year for the mariners and Phillies and now he's a "Met killer" with 3 home runs and 7 RBIs in the three games.

I thought this thread was about keeping score. I've always been a fan of the 1-6-3 double play. And the caught stealing of home which resulted in a pickle: 1-2-5-2-6-2-5. I know there have been some unassisted triple plays. Not sure how you score that. Would it be U 6-6-6. That's scary.

I thought this thread was about keeping score. I've always been a fan of the 1-6-3 double play. And the caught stealing of home which resulted in a pickle: 1-2-5-2-6-2-5. I know there have been some unassisted triple plays. Not sure how you score that. Would it be U 6-6-6. That's scary.
In the box for the batter it would be F6 with a big star (or L6 if you like to indicate line drives) and in the boxes for the runners you'd put PO6. By putting 6-6-6 you seem like you're giving assists.

I saw the Dodgers do it against the Mets in the early 60s. Mets had 1st and 2nd no outs. The runner on 1st broke for 2nd on a steal attempt. Line drive up the middle. The shortstop, who had moved over toward second to cover on the steal, jumped up, caught the liner, came down on 2nd, and tagged the runner sliding in.

In the box for the batter it would be F6 with a big star (or L6 if you like to indicate line drives) and in the boxes for the runners you'd put PO6. By putting 6-6-6 you seem like you're giving assists.

I saw the Dodgers do it against the Mets in the early 60s. Mets had 1st and 2nd no outs. The runner on 1st broke for 2nd on a steal attempt. Line drive up the middle. The shortstop, who had moved over toward second to cover on the steal, jumped up, caught the liner, came down on 2nd, and tagged the runner sliding in.
So in your first paragraph how would you know it's a TP. Do you notate it somehow?

Why is the third baseman #5 and the shortstop #6?

Did you know there are 9 more ways to score from 3rd vs from 2nd.

Can you name them?

Did you know there are 9 more ways to score from 3rd vs from 2nd.

Can you name them?

1. Bases loaded walk (or HBP)
2. Balk
3. Infield hit
4. Infield error
5. fielder's choice
6. Suicide squeeze
7. steal of home
8. Third baseman impedes runner on either a hit ball or pick-off attempt
9. catcher interference

1. Bases loaded walk (or HBP)
2. Balk
3. Infield hit
4. Infield error
5. fielder's choice
6. Suicide squeeze
7. steal of home
8. Third baseman impedes runner on either a hit ball or pick-off attempt
9. catcher interference
What about wild pitch or passed ball? Also wouldn't a suicide squeeze and a steal of home the same? Unless the batter bunted the ball and then is it just a sacrifice bunt or do they still call it a suicide squeeze. As opposed to a safety squeeze where the batter does always make contact.

What about wild pitch or passed ball? Also wouldn't a suicide squeeze and a steal of home the same? Unless the batter bunted the ball and then is it just a sacrifice bunt or do they still call it a suicide squeeze. As opposed to a safety squeeze where the batter does always make contact.

Well technically you can score from 2nd on a wild pitch or passed ball. Admittedly it's rare but I have seen it a couple times when one really gets away from the catcher and usually involves something really funky happening

I was thinking suicide squeeze in the context that you actually make contact so I guess that would be the same as a sac bunt or safety squeeze and different than a straight steal of home. I think I just confused myself and might need to research some of these terms for the specific definition :)

Well technically you can score from 2nd on a wild pitch or passed ball. Admittedly it's rare but I have seen it a couple times when one really gets away from the catcher and usually involves something really funky happening

I was thinking suicide squeeze in the context that you actually make contact so I guess that would be the same as a sac bunt or safety squeeze and different than a straight steal of home. I think I just confused myself and might need to research some of these terms for the specific definition :)
I actually did look it up while I wrote my post because I always thought that a suicide squeeze was when the batter left during the wind up and the safety squeeze was when the batter left when the batter hit the bunt. But if the batter doesn't hit the bunt during the suicide squeeze then its just a steal of home. Back when bunting was more of an art form, I loved when a manager would run a squeeze play in the bottom of the 9th with a tie score, bases jammed and less than two outs.

By the way, you didn't list sacrifice fly either. He could score from 2nd but that's extremely rare.

I actually did look it up while I wrote my post because I always thought that a suicide squeeze was when the batter left during the wind up and the safety squeeze was when the batter left when the batter hit the bunt. But if the batter doesn't hit the bunt during the suicide squeeze then its just a steal of home. Back when bunting was more of an art form, I loved when a manager would run a squeeze play in the bottom of the 9th with a tie score, bases jammed and less than two outs.

By the way, you didn't list sacrifice fly either. He could score from 2nd but that's extremely rare.

Where did the batter go when the batter left?

Good call on the sac fly. I looked up some highlights on youtube of that also. In almost every situation, it involved an OF having his head up his rearend and forgetting how many outs, but still counts.

Back to what the thread is actually about:

After the Marlins series (7/12-14/19)

METS
Single- 109
Double- 67
Triple- 6
Home Run- 201
Walk- 10
Balk- 1
Out- 16
Error- 4Sac Fly- 14
Sac Bunt-
Wild Pitch- 3
Passed Ball-
Hit by Pitch- 3
The Mets have scored 434 runs so 46% are from home runs

OTHER GUYS
Single- 128
Double- 89
Triple- 6
Home Run- 189
Walk- 5
Balk-
Out- 20
Error- 5
Sac Fly- 24
Sac Bunt- 1
Wild Pitch- 4
Passed Ball- 2
Hit by Pitch- 2
The other guys have scored 478 runs so 40% of their runs come from home runs.

The Mets finally won a road series - over the same team they last won one from back in April. 8 of their 14 runs came from homers, (57%) while the Marlins got half of their 12 runs from homers.

the only bad news was that Jeurys Familia still suffers from Georgetownitis. You know, it's 12:14AM and he still sucks...

After the Twins series (7/16-17/19)

METS
Single- 111
Double- 69
Triple- 8
Home Run- 201
Walk- 10
Balk- 1
Out- 17
Error- 7
Sac Fly- 15
Sac Bunt-
Wild Pitch- 3
Passed Ball-
Hit by Pitch- 3
The Mets have scored 451 runs so 44% are from home runs

OTHER GUYS
Single- 129
Double- 89
Triple- 6
Home Run- 192
Walk- 5
Balk-
Out- 22
Error- 5
Sac Fly- 24
Sac Bunt- 1
Wild Pitch- 4
Passed Ball- 2
Hit by Pitch- 2
The other guys have scored 484 runs so 40% of their runs come from home runs.

The Mets scored twice as many runs from homers as the mighty Twins, 6-3 and also out-scored them by other means by an even larger margin, 11-3.

After the Giants series (7/18-21/19)

METS
Single- 115
Double- 69
Triple- 8
Home Run- 211
Walk- 10
Balk- 1
Out- 18
Error- 7
Sac Fly- 15
Sac Bunt-
Wild Pitch- 3
Passed Ball-
Hit by Pitch- 3
The Mets have scored 466 runs so 45% are from home runs

OTHER GUYS
Single- 132
Double- 91
Triple- 6
Home Run- 196
Walk- 5
Balk-
Out- 22
Error- 6
Sac Fly- 25
Sac Bunt- 1
Wild Pitch- 4
Passed Ball- 2
Hit by Pitch- 2
The other guys have scored 495 runs so 40% of their runs come from home runs.

A weird series. the Mets out-scored the Giants 15-11 but lost 3 of four games with all the losses coming in extra innings. The Mets are finally getting the pitching but they are scoring in spurts, rather than consistently. In this series, 11 of the Mets' 15 runs came off of home runs, a whopping 73%. Only 4 of the Giants 11 runs came that way, a more normal 36%.

After the Padres series (7/23-25/19)

METS
Single- 117
Double- 71
Triple- 8
Home Run- 216
Walk- 10
Balk- 1
Out- 19
Error- 7
Sac Fly- 16
Sac Bunt-
Wild Pitch- 3
Passed Ball-
Hit by Pitch- 3
The Mets have scored 477 runs so 45% are from home runs

OTHER GUYS
Single- 134
Double- 93
Triple- 6
Home Run- 196
Walk- 5
Balk-
Out- 22
Error- 8
Sac Fly- 28
Sac Bunt- 1
Wild Pitch- 4
Passed Ball- 2
Hit by Pitch- 2
The other guys have scored 504 runs so 39% of their runs come from home runs.

The Mets scored 5 of their 11 runs from homers, their season average of 45%. The Padres didn't hit a home run the entire series, scoring 9 runs by other means. it was the first Mets' series this year in which a team had not homered. Haven't the padres been reading the articles about how the game is supposed to be played in this era? It's interesting that the Mets have scored 20 more runs on homers than their opposition this eyar but a dozen fewer runs on sacrifice flies, 9the Padres scored three times that way. You'd think that some of those home run attempts would turn into sac flies.

After the Pirates series (7/26-28/19)

METS
Single- 120
Double- 71
Triple- 8
Home Run- 227
Walk- 10
Balk- 1
Out- 20
Error- 8
Sac Fly- 17
Sac Bunt-
Wild Pitch- 3
Passed Ball-
Hit by Pitch- 3
The Mets have scored 494 runs so 46% are from home runs

OTHER GUYS
Single- 135
Double- 94
Triple- 6
Home Run- 203
Walk- 5
Balk-
Out- 22
Error- 9
Sac Fly- 28
Sac Bunt- 1
Wild Pitch- 4
Passed Ball- 2
Hit by Pitch- 2
The other guys have scored 514 runs so 39% of their runs come from home runs.

The met's reliance on home runs continues to grow but as long as they hit them, they are OK. They scored 11 of 17 runs in this series that way, (65%) and swept the Pirates, who were even more home run dependent, scoring 7 of 10 runs by hitting the ball over the fence, including 4 in that last inning, (Hernandez noted that Diaz is back to throwing three-quarters and he needs to go over the top).

After the White Sox series (7/26-28/19)

METS
Single- 123
Double- 72
Triple- 8
Home Run- 231
Walk- 10
Balk- 1
Out- 23
Error- 10
Sac Fly- 17
Sac Bunt-
Wild Pitch- 3
Passed Ball-
Hit by Pitch- 3
The Mets have scored 507 runs so 46% are from home runs

OTHER GUYS
Single- 135
Double- 94
Triple- 6
Home Run- 204
Walk- 5
Balk-
Out- 23
Error- 9
Sac Fly- 30
Sac Bunt- 1
Wild Pitch- 4
Passed Ball- 2
Hit by Pitch- 2
The other guys have scored 518 runs so 39% of their runs come from home runs.

The Mets out-scored the Sox, 13-4. They scored just 4 runs off of homers, 31%. Amazingly they scored 3 runs on outs and 2 on errors, in addition to two on singles and one on a triple. They gave up only a single home run to the Whites Sox with no one on base, which was 25% of their scoring.

I’ve decided to look at another stat in the last two months of the season: I’ve always thought that doubles were nearly as important as home runs because (1) they almost always clear the bases and (2) the guy who hits the double is in ‘scoring position’ and probably scores more often than not after hitting the double. The above stats suggest doubles and home runs are not that comparable. As of August 1st, the Mets have scored 72 runs off of doubles and 231 off of homers. The opposition has scored 94 runs off doubles and 204 off of homers. But the Mets have hit 153 home runs, which means that their homers have driven in 78 teammates, virtually the same number as their doubles. The opposition has hit 139 home runs, meaning their homers have driven in 65 teammates, significantly fewer than their doubles have driven in. the missing stat, of course is : how often to players who hit doubles score? In this series, the Mets hit 3 doubles and one of the players who hit them scored. The White Sox doubled twice and neither player scored. That’s a small sample but lets see what the numbers look like as it grows.

After the Pirates series (8/2-4/19)

METS
Single- 128
Double- 79
Triple- 8
Home Run- 239
Walk- 10
Balk- 1
Out- 24
Error- 13
Sac Fly- 17
Sac Bunt-
Wild Pitch- 3
Passed Ball-
Hit by Pitch- 3
The Mets have scored 531 runs so 45% are from home runs

OTHER GUYS
Single- 140
Double- 96
Triple- 6
Home Run- 210
Walk- 6
Balk-
Out- 23
Error- 9
Sac Fly- 30
Sac Bunt- 1
Wild Pitch- 4
Passed Ball- 2
Hit by Pitch- 3
The other guys have scored 531 runs so 39% of their runs come from home runs.

The Mets are now within 1 run of .500 at 55-56 and have caught the opposition in runs scored. They’ve won 9 of 10 and 15 of 20. In this series 8 of their 24 runs via the homer run, just 33% but still averaged 8 runs a game. The pirates got 6 of their 13 from homers, (46%) and averaged 4 runs per game. The Mets hit 13 doubles and 8 of those players scored, (8/16, 50% since I began keeping track of it). The Pirates his only 3 doubles but all of those players scored (3 of 5, 60% so far.)

After the Marlins series (8/5-7/19)

METS
Single- 133
Double- 80
Triple- 8
Home Run- 255
Walk- 10
Balk- 1
Out- 24
Error- 13
Sac Fly- 18
Sac Bunt-
Wild Pitch- 3
Passed Ball-
Hit by Pitch- 3
The Mets have scored 554 runs so 46% are from home runs

OTHER GUYS
Single- 142
Double- 99
Triple- 6
Home Run- 213
Walk- 6
Balk-
Out- 23
Error- 9
Sac Fly- 30
Sac Bunt- 1
Wild Pitch- 4
Passed Ball- 2
Hit by Pitch- 3
The other guys have scored 539 runs so 40% of their runs come from home runs.

In this series 16 of the Mets 23 runs came via the home run, just and astonding 70%. The Marlins got 3 of their 8 from homers, (37.5%). Doubles didn’t produce a lot in this series. The Mets hit 5 doubles and 1 of those players scored, (9/21, 43% since I began keeping track of it). They also drove in only one run with a double. The Marlins hit 8 doubles but only two of those players scored, (5 of 13, 38% so far.). they did get 3 RBIs from doubles, same as from their homers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom