Basketball Schedule Going Forward in '19 and beyond | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Basketball Schedule Going Forward in '19 and beyond

Yikes. Those numbers are terrible for us. There is a problem with this and that is that the stigma that we never play non conference road games/leave NY state is going to really ramp up and intensify. We won't get credit for former Big East foes and unless it breaks like this season where teams we schedule from conferences like the MAC and A10 end up being extremely good the wolves will be out for us..

Maybe, but in 2 of the last 3 seasons we've been a bubble team and made the tournament, so is this stigma really hurting us?

And if anything, our computer numbers will likely be even stronger as a result of 2 extra conference games, including one on the road.

We get 8k to 10K fans at Verizon rooting for Syracuse. We'll get 800 at Maryland. And it's at Maryland not downtown DC. Which as you know sucks.

Plus we already play a rotating B1G team every year.
If we are lucky, we would play Maryland at their home once every 20 years. Not ideal. Agree Verizon is better for fans. As Georgetown continues to decline, it becomes harder to play them. It hurts our SOS and the game becomes their one chance to salvage a season.

It would be a lot easier to justify playing them if they can get to the point where they are a good program again.

What is wrong with playing Maryland at Maryland's gym? Agree it would be better to play Nova but if they won't play us, I do not think is is wise to stop playing there period. John is smarter than that.

JW has been doing a great job with our schedules removing low upside games. The football mess left by Gross is mercifully being fixed. I don't see him scheduling a true road game to a mid-major where we can lose.

If we are lucky, we would play Maryland at their home once every 20 years. Not ideal. Agree Verizon is better for fans. As Georgetown continues to decline, it becomes harder to play them. It hurts our SOS and the game becomes their one chance to salvage a season.

It would be a lot easier to justify playing them if they can get to the point where they are a good program again.

Let's see what Ewing does with that program. If he doesn't get them to sea level they will have to go a Bobby Gonzalez type of route.

What is wrong with playing Maryland at Maryland's gym?

The overall gameday experience when Cuse plays at Georgetown is amazing. College Park honestly sucks -- it's a suburb which is difficult to get in and out of, and there's nothing as far as entertainment in and around the arena.

JW has been doing a great job with our schedules removing low upside games. The football mess left by Gross is mercifully being fixed. I don't see him scheduling a true road game to a mid-major where we can lose.

Does Wildhack schedule basketball games, or is that done by JB and his staff?

I know more about football in its current form where the AD and HC work together on it. JB has always been conservative about this stuff anyway.

I know more about football in its current form where the AD and HC work together on it. JB has always been conservative about this stuff anyway.
John says he and Herman work on basketball too but there is no question JB has immense say in the basketball schedule. Until he retires, I don't think it matters much what anyone thinks.

Still interesting to discuss though...

Obvious, but not mentioned. Our SOS is going to be entirely dependent on the ACC itself. When the ACC has 5-6 ranked teams it helps to have 20 conference games. There will definitely be a year it hurts us. I think having some a limited schedule outside of the conference is overall negative. Less chance to be creative and try a new matchup. I would prefer traveling to a new location or keeping old rivalries in tact vs. more home/away against Duke, UNC, etc. Thanks for starting this thread as it is something I had not thought about much yet.

Play a MTE every year. That's 4 games for the 'price' of 2. You HAVE to do that at this point, especially with going to 20 ACC games, we'll need the 2-3 guaranteed W's.
Having Georgetown on the schedule every year is fine. If not, replace them with Villanova. No need to play St. John's or UConn.
ACC/B10 game
Colgate, Cornell, and at least one other NY school, preferably UB or SBU
Game at MSG or Barclay's against whoever. I guess UConn can be in the mix there, but screw them.
Fill it out with the Eastern Michigan, another MAC, Iona, Siena, etc...

The NYC area game may become tougher and tougher to fit, so I wonder if there will be any consideration to playing a conference game there?

Jason, yiu bring up a good point...if we play 4 game MTE's, I could see Syracuse asking to slot in schools like Niagara, Manhattan, EMU into the undercard games at the Dome.

I think Herman Frazier leads the OOC scheduling effort for both football and basketball but he would never schedule contrary to the coach's wishes. He has been told we will NOT schedule Seton Hall...

I read something another good fan wrote in another thread...and got me thinking

Starting in 2019-20 season the ACC basketball schedule expands to 20 games.

So with this rule of games in mind: Teams can schedule 29 regular season games without participating in a multi-team exempt event (MTE) or 27 and an MTE that can include no more than four games, for a total of 31.

20 Conference Games
1 game in ACC-B1G Challenge
6 OOC games

I'll leave out the 2-4 games involved with the preseason NIT, Maui Classic, Bahamas, etc... to keep it simple

So list the games you think we need to play OOC and the ones that are nice to play:

My guess:
Have to play: Cornell, Colgate, Georgetown
Often in the mix: SJU or UConn or Nova (play 1 of these a year...priority to play in MSG)
2 wild card games: EMU, UB, St Bona, Siena, random mid majors.

As said before, in reality many years we will have two more OOC games in the Dome due to MTE requirements...but I left those out. So figure out your 6 teams.
Was curious about the specific MTE rule. So I'm trying to remember. When we play in the Bahamas do we schedule a single game at home as a quasi-Battle for Atlantis game plus 3 in the Bahamas and still play 31 total?

Agree with Cornell and Colgate. Certainly Cornell for as long as a certain freshman forward is there. I lump Georgetown with St. John's, Nova and UConn as teams we should play regularly but not every year. Wonder why Providence doesn't crack that rotation. The EMU series is a chance for Coach Murphy to come home, particularly while his wife still works in Syracuse. JB likes to give former assistants and friends in the coaching fraternity the opportunity to play in the Dome. Seems like there are one or two of those every year. I remember reading here in Binghamton that the Monmouth game was scheduled to give King Rice a game in Upstate NY. Be interesting to see if those games become victims of the expansion of the ACC schedule. Frankly don;t care if we ever play Bonnies again, but that's just me but other upstate programs should be fairly regular including Buffalo, Albany and Binghamton if it frees up some state money for renovations.
Going to be interesting to see how the selection committee addresses the non-conference SOS metric once P5's move to 20 game schedules. Whether this remains an important component probably determines at least part of the strategy.

Jason, yiu bring up a good point...if we play 4 game MTE's, I could see Syracuse asking to slot in schools like Niagara, Manhattan, EMU into the undercard games at the Dome.

Yeah, bring back the Carrier Classic! I think we need to have a standing home/home series against Georgetown and just agree to play St. Johns as a "road game" in MSG every year. Screw UConn, let that program rot in obscurity! Villanova is too good to want to schedule a home/home with right now. Once we to go 20 games in the ACC, it will be even more imperative that we win at least 9 games in the non-conference schedule. We also may want to consider playing a non-conference game in Toronto each year to help build our brand and fanbase in Canada. There are a lot of very good players coming out of Canada in recent years, and they see Syracuse as a tropical destination :)

IIRC Bahamas is an 8 team tourney all played on site. They want fans in those rooms for 4-5 nights.

As for St. Bona...I generally agree their fans are a bit tedious. I do think a Cuse/Bona game in Rochester in the next few seasons makes sense as a way to say thanks to the Rochester market and pay homage to HCJB. They could also replace St. Bona with Cornell or another WNY team too.

IIRC Bahamas is an 8 team tourney all played on site. They want fans in those rooms for 4-5 nights.

Right. I think there are a few of those 8 team on site tourneys. What I'm wondering is if we had a home game before going to the Bahamas that was considered part of the Battle for Atlantis. (Maybe Elon?) We did play 31 regular season games that year so if only 3 were part of the exempt event I would expect that we would have been limited to 30.

Bonnies always seem to leave a bad taste in my mouth. I remember near brawls in Manley back in the day. And I have no fond memories of the revival of the rivalry this past season! No win situation there.

I think Herman Frazier leads the OOC scheduling effort for both football and basketball but he would never schedule contrary to the coach's wishes. He has been told we will NOT schedule Seton Hall...

I assume the Seton Hall directive was after the Taurean saga? Not that I mind, but just curious if that's what led to it.

I assume the Seton Hall directive was after the Taurean saga? Not that I mind, but just curious if that's what led to it.
You assume correctly.

Play a MTE every year. That's 4 games for the 'price' of 2. You HAVE to do that at this point, especially with going to 20 ACC games, we'll need the 2-3 guaranteed W's.
Having Georgetown on the schedule every year is fine. If not, replace them with Villanova. No need to play St. John's or UConn.
ACC/B10 game
Colgate, Cornell, and at least one other NY school, preferably UB or SBU
Game at MSG or Barclay's against whoever. I guess UConn can be in the mix there, but screw them.
Fill it out with the Eastern Michigan, another MAC, Iona, Siena, etc...

The NYC area game may become tougher and tougher to fit, so I wonder if there will be any consideration to playing a conference game there?
I would rather play UCONN than Nova, UCONN will degrade our SOS but we need the extra win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom