Battle, Howard, Brissett, Bazely, Chukwu | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Battle, Howard, Brissett, Bazely, Chukwu

Battle is leaving. Get real. Think about what the NBA looks for in prospects...he's got it all.

He’s not a playmaker for others whatsoever to this point on the whole, and is a decent 3 point shooter...not great. And while I think he could be a solid defender at that level, I’m not sure.

I think the outside shooting is the key for Battle. He shot it well last year, when we had 3 other guys that could score and he got good looks and could be more selective. He’s not shooting it nearly as well this year while having a lot less help and not getting as many easy looks. So just how good of a shooter is he and will he be? I think that will be what decides his NBA prospects. Unless you’re Tony Allen or Andre Roberson defensively you’ve gotta be a good shooter or a decent shooter/capable playmaker. Decent shooter/not a playmaker probably doesn’t quite cut it.

He’s not a playmaker for others whatsoever to this point on the whole, and is a decent 3 point shooter...not great. And while I think he could be a solid defender at that level, I’m not sure.

I think the outside shooting is the key for Battle. He shot it well last year, when we had 3 other guys that could score and he got good looks and could be more selective. He’s not shooting it nearly as well this year while having a lot less help and not getting as many easy looks. So just how good of a shooter is he and will he be? I think that will be what decides his NBA prospects. Unless you’re Tony Allen or Andre Roberson defensively you’ve gotta be a good shooter or a decent shooter/capable playmaker. Decent shooter/not a playmaker probably doesn’t quite cut it.

I'm still not convinced of battle's range. The distance is longer in the league. Might not seem like a lot, but with battle's hitch, it's something to note

Link?
Can't link personal conversations. Not a consensus, but some are of the opinion that his stock won't get any higher and more film would expose weaknesses.

Can't link personal conversations. Not a consensus, but some are of the opinion that his stock won't get any higher and more film would expose weaknesses.

Feel like based on his size, athleticism, and overall skill level he could be a much more productive rebounder/better playmaker(occasionally makes a great pass that shows it’s there - just doesn’t do it much) than he has been so far, and would likely shoot it much better percentage wise on next year’s Cuse team. Whether that stuff matters to the NBA or not is another discussion.

Battle is a borderline 1st round pick RIGHT NOW. Either he steps up and Syracuse makes a NCAA run or he continues mediocre play and stays another year. Then we go beast mode next year and make another FINAL FOUR

/thread

I can’t believe (b) discussions happen every year...

In fairness, most of these kids who have left arguably a year early have not faired well in the NBA. It was Dion's time to go, Ennis' time to go, Carmelo's, Fab Melo's and Jonny Flynn's time to go. So I recognize when a player has become who they can become.

But Jerami Grant could have gone higher, Donte Green could have gone higher, Chris McCullough and Tyler Lydon could have gone higher and Malachi Richardson could have gone higher. There are still cases to be made on either side of the argument.

To me, the key question is the kid far enough along that they are likely to get a second contract in 3 years? If they only project as the 13th guy at the end of the bench or in the D Leauge for their pro team, they either went too soon, or they didn't really have NBA talent.

Battle might choose to go, but he's not really good enough yet, and he could still get better. But he will need another year. Why is it that players on other teams can stay for 3 years, and still go in the top half of the first round, but not here at Syracuse?

Why is it that players on other teams can stay for 3 years, and still go in the top half of the first round, but not here at Syracuse?
If you think that is happening with any frequency these days in the NBA draft, you aren't paying attention.

If you think that is happening with any frequency these days in the NBA draft, you aren't paying attention.

Right. There was one upperclassman picked in the first half of the first round last year (Justin Jackson). This is just not a thing that happens much any more.

Not if the current peak is not drafted or mid to late second round.
I've heard late first/early second. Talented draft at the top, but not nearly as deep as last year.

I've heard late first/early second. Talented draft at the top, but not nearly as deep as last year.

Heard from who? Outside of this forum I don't see him anywhere in the draft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom