Battle needs to return next year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Battle needs to return next year

The thing I don't understand is players at other schools that are of similar ability stay.

He won't. And that's fine. I just don't understand why he doesn't.

If he stays next year, we are a legit Top 10 team and pushing for a national title, IMO.

he was a frosh and deferred to others. You really think a guy who dominated the ball as much as he did this year..and comes BACK..is going to be cool with fewer touches? not many Alphas are cut from that cloth.

Your first post took guts to post, and I am not sure if I disagree. Hopefully OrangeZeus would be right, but I agree that I'd like to see some improved passing from TB. Heck, imagine in addition to the new recruits, he also has a healthy Sidibe posting up on guys also needing touches. While an "embarassment of riches" is a problem Id much prefer to this season, I agree with you and am not sure it's something Tyus would want.

Or...maybe tonight left a sour taste in his mouth, and made him want to come back like some of those UNC players did?

Your first post took guts to post, and I am not sure if I disagree. Hopefully OrangeZeus would be right, but I agree that I'd like to see some improved passing from TB. Heck, imagine in addition to the new recruits, he also has a healthy Sidibe posting up on guys also needing touches. While an "embarassment of riches" is a problem Id much prefer to this season, I agree with you and am not sure it's something Tyus would want.

Or...maybe tonight left a sour taste in his mouth, and made him want to come back like some of those UNC players did?

I guess my point is, and I might be in the minority on this one, is that him leaving is not going to ruin next season. Losing OB would be worse in my opinion...

I guess my point is, and I might be in the minority on this one, is that him leaving is not going to ruin next season. Losing OB would be worse in my opinion...

I don't disagree at all. But having Battle & Brissett would make us a viable candidate to do some damage during the regular season.

Even without him I think we have a chance to make some noise but a nearly 20 ppg scorer back would help with national perception.

if tyler friggin lydon didnt come back for his junior year i sure aint expecting tyus battle to either
Someone on here says he will wow scouts with his athleticism which I agree. Few athletes like him in college basketball. He just isn’t consistent and neither is Howard.

I think Battle is more NBA ready than Lydon was last year. He has NBA athleticism and can create his own shot. He'll have more space to work in the NBA and will continue to work on his shot. Him leaving would bother me less than Lydon or Grant did.

I think Battle is more NBA ready than Lydon was last year. He has NBA athleticism and can create his own shot. He'll have more space to work in the NBA and will continue to work on his shot. Him leaving would bother me less than Lydon or Grant did.

It is really hard to evaluate him with this specific team. He has zero legs most games come second half and starts front rimming everything.

Lydon was so not ready for the NBA. He was regressing before our eyes and it was smart for him to leave because he was headed to non draft status.

Battle coming back would be great. However, Im excited to see sophomore Brissett

Howard/Carey
Hughes/Carey
Bazely/Hughes
Brissett/Bazely/Dolezaj/Moyer
Chukwu/Sidibe. /Dolezaj

Lydon was so not ready for the NBA. He was regressing before our eyes and it was smart for him to leave because he was headed to non draft status.
The key to me with guys, at least with scoring, is can they create their own shot or do they rely on guys to create for them? I never saw that ability from Lydon. I think Battle has proven that he can do that since the last third of last year. His shot is a little weird and inconsistent, but I'm confident that a guy can fix that moreso than a guy developing the ability to create. I think he's our best pro prospect since Waiters.

I believe he's coming back. Unless things change.

While I hear you, do you think it's not possible that one of them may be right?

??? Why? They make a ton of money. They made the right decision for themselves.

All multi-millionaires. Joke's on you.

Jonny & Dion should've both returned. They could've gone top 3 instead of 6th & 4th overall :rolleyes:

Maybe my message came out wrong. I agree with all of you. Wish the best for all of them. My message was more about how we as a program have no luck keeping any of these guys like some othe rprograms do.

Does coming back really help or just make him a year older? I suppose if he develops a jump shot he would get drafted higher. But he may decide to start making money now and develop his game at the next level. That's what the G-League is for after all.

Does coming back really help or just make him a year older? I suppose if he develops a jump shot he would get drafted higher. But he may decide to start making money now and develop his game at the next level. That's what the G-League is for after all.

First of all, I expect him to jump.

Coming back COULD help him in a couple of ways:
  • His efficiency numbers could jump, even if his scoring goes down
  • He could be the "face" of a team that has a lot of success, and by attribution be perceived "better" by NBA scouts
  • He'll have a chance to enhance his ball handling / passing / play making for others, which are currently holes in his game
So coming back could definitely help his draft stock. But what do I expect? See sentence #1.

If he was on UNC you can be fairly certain he'd stay.

At UNC the player would need to stick around for the advanced math classes of adding double digit numbers.

Is that even the point? The kid was a first rounder let it go..Battle I don’t know what else he can prove at this level other than postseason

if tyler friggin lydon didnt come back for his junior year i sure aint expecting tyus battle to either
You think Battle goes higher than Lydon did in the draft?

The key to me with guys, at least with scoring, is can they create their own shot or do they rely on guys to create for them? I never saw that ability from Lydon. I think Battle has proven that he can do that since the last third of last year. His shot is a little weird and inconsistent, but I'm confident that a guy can fix that moreso than a guy developing the ability to create. I think he's our best pro prospect since Waiters.

Inefficient Iso scoring is outdated in the NBA. They like guys who can shoot and move it. That's why the NBA was higher on Lydon last year than Battle this year.

That makes sense if you're drafting a guy to be a go-to scorer, but neither Lydon or Battle will be that in the NBA.

I don't really understand why Battle would leave considering where his draft stock is, but the fact that everyone assumes it's a done deal for him makes me think there's other factors at play in this case. I think almost all of our recent players have made the correct decision when leaving for the NBA, but without knowing what else is going on in Battle's life, it seems like it would be a mistake for him to go.

He will declare and impress at the combine imo
I would expect him to go to the combine and then declare if he is getting enough feelers. Unless, of course, his mind is already made up. I do think his athleticism will impress the NBA. That's one reason that Cuse has had a run of first rounders. It's typical for the type of recruit we go after.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom