Battle needs to return next year | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Battle needs to return next year

He drove the lane and dumped to MD last night. He's done it more than people want to give him credit for. How many NBA level teammates has he played with that know how to move without the ball and finish when they get it?

He's got a negative assist to turnover ratio. Worse than Franks. Frank gets ridiculed here. I'm not ridiculing Battle. He's been good for us. There's just this notion that one on one play is everything when it comes to being a pro prospect and I don't believe that to be the case.

First off, I love Tyus.

However, he shot 4-21 against a college team, albeit a very good one. His jumper is just not there to keep real, NBA defenses honest. He looked like a deer in headlights trying to handle a double-team from Kenny Williams and Joel Berry

He looked like a deer in highlights trying to handle a double team when the guys open to pass to basically have feet for hands.

At the same time, he won’t be seeing doubles if he makes the NBA. He’ll be the guy that has to make open shots to prevent double teams for the stars. He won’t be isoing and having to carry the offense in the NBA either, so not sure how relevant a bad shooting game where he has to do everything or else his team can’t score is to the NBA.

Nor will he be playing another season in zone.

He looked like a deer in highlights trying to handle a double team when the guys open to pass to basically have feet for hands.
The people opened were not capable of catching the ball and scoring from there. So if he passed to them they would have looked around for 2-3 seconds and then lofted the ball back out to the perimeter where TB would have started all over from like 5 feet further back and 6 seconds less on the shot clock. The issues we had this year are not on Tyus and there is no point talking about assist to turnover ratio on a team where only 3 people can shoot outside 10 feet.

Couldn't Battle be a solid man to man defender? Might be another aspect of his game we don't know about.

He's got a negative assist to turnover ratio. Worse than Franks. Frank gets ridiculed here. I'm not ridiculing Battle. He's been good for us. There's just this notion that one on one play is everything when it comes to being a pro prospect and I don't believe that to be the case.
I didn't say it was either. Somehow contorted my earlier post to mean that.

He was asked to be the offense this year on a team with limited offensive talent.

JUST SUPPOSING . tyus battle returns to the backcourt. (don't think so)
who are your starters and how do you split the minutes to keep players happy ?

JUST SUPPOSING . tyus battle returns to the backcourt. (don't think so)
who are your starters and how do you split the minutes to keep players happy ?

Same way we did back when guys like Waiters, MCW, Fair, Grant, etc. were coming off the bench...let the cream rise, go deeper (Waiters soph. Year we played 9-10 in many games and had 3 guards right around 24-25 minutes), and split the minutes according to how well people are playing.

I’m sure Howard and Battle would start and probably Carey gets good minutes off the bench. Maybe Hughes gets some minutes at both the 2 and 3?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom