Battle needs to return next year | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Battle needs to return next year

I would expect him to go to the combine and then declare if he is getting enough feelers. Unless, of course, his mind is already made up. I do think his athleticism will impress the NBA. That's one reason that Cuse has had a run of first rounders. It's typical for the type of recruit we go after.

Kid's really don't increase their stock that much at the combine. Lydon shot the ball better than anyone and was amongst the most athletic frontcourt players and still got picked where he's projected.

That said I think the comparison for Battle is Dwayne Bacon and he was picked in the second round last year.

It took Richardson an incredible elite 8 performance, AND an incredible combine and he only went late first round . Just don’t see how Battle doesn’t come back. But wouldn’t be surprised either way.

Is that even the point? The kid was a first rounder let it go..Battle I don’t know what else he can prove at this level other than postseason

what are u talking about? I was having a discussion with someone else (not you) about the NBA readiness of Lydon vs Battle. So yes, that was the point. I couldn't care less that he left, Im not one to pine over what kids decide to do, doesn't prevent me from analyzing the decision and in fact, I actually agreed with his decision to leave.

First off, I love Tyus.

However, he shot 4-21 against a college team, albeit a very good one. His jumper is just not there to keep real, NBA defenses honest. He looked like a deer in headlights trying to handle a double-team from Kenny Williams and Joel Berry

With larger rosters and two way contracts second round draft picks are more valuable than they've ever been.

He's not coming back. Accept and learn to live with it. And then on the five percent he DOES return we can all go nuts, binge drink and book flights to Minneapolis.

I'm not sure I see the athleticism many of you speak of. I think if TB goes to the combine he's going to find several better athletes that aren't necessarily better basketball players than him. It will likely come down to how he shoots at the combine. Someone mentioned that he has a "step back." I disagree. He shoots more of a fade away than step back and he still has way too much leg in his form that hinders him late game when he wears down. Lastly, the reason TB is rated so lowly is that 6'6" basketball players are a dime a dozen. The guys that excel at some part of the game are the ones that go 1st round. TB is pretty good at everything but what does he excel at?

I think he's 99.8% leaving. That's fine, and exactly what I expect to happen. I hope he kills the combine and pushes his stock up.

I'm not really sure why he would return. Sure, his game and reputation can improve, but there's no guarantee. He could get hurt. He could plateau and see whatever his stock is fall even further. Or he can go pro and start making money improving his game. It doesn't have to be in the NBA right away. He needs to fix that jump shot and really work on catching and shooting. And if he ends up in Europe, so what. That can be a lucrative career.

We all would love to see him back and could really see his efficiency improve with a few more shooters around him, but in this era of basketball, rarely do kids of his size/athleticism/scoring ability return for a junior season. 10-15 years ago, he's probably back without a doubt.

He will be 21 in June. That's junior age. I believe that is a factor.

He needs to work on his shooting. He can do that just as well or better as a pro as he can here.

Unless scouts at the combine are adamant he come back, which I don't think they will be, he should go. Though they were adamant White go back and he should have gone pro. Who knows?

Some guys just are ready to be a pro. Battle definitely has areas for improvement but he may think he can improve more by making a professional team.

First off, I love Tyus.

However, he shot 4-21 against a college team, albeit a very good one. His jumper is just not there to keep real, NBA defenses honest. He looked like a deer in headlights trying to handle a double-team from Kenny Williams and Joel Berry

At the same time, he won’t be seeing doubles if he makes the NBA. He’ll be the guy that has to make open shots to prevent double teams for the stars. He won’t be isoing and having to carry the offense in the NBA either, so not sure how relevant a bad shooting game where he has to do everything or else his team can’t score is to the NBA.

Battle 100% needs to return next year. He will benefit tremendously from it. Highly doubtful he gets drafted this year. He’d wind up in the G-League at a low salary, likely in Europe within 2 years.

If he stays, he will continues to improve by leading a deeper team next year. He won’t have to play as many minutes. Sky’s the limit for him and the team next year if he stays.

We’ll still be okay if he decides to jump, but it’s better for both him and the team if he stays.

Plenty of great guards in the current NBA played 3 or 4 years in college. No need for him to jump. Way too much risk for him. I hope he realizes it and doesn’t get crappy advice.
I think he switched from Michigan to Syracuse in part because he (his dad) saw Syracuse as a faster route to the NBA. He has certainly got a chance to show what he can do with the major minutes he plays. If he truly won't be drafted this season, he might as well stay, but many kids who see themselves as one or two and done, have a different mindset.

That makes sense if you're drafting a guy to be a go-to scorer, but neither Lydon or Battle will be that in the NBA.

I don't really understand why Battle would leave considering where his draft stock is, but the fact that everyone assumes it's a done deal for him makes me think there's other factors at play in this case. I think almost all of our recent players have made the correct decision when leaving for the NBA, but without knowing what else is going on in Battle's life, it seems like it would be a mistake for him to go.
I don't know if it's a done deal. I think JB is right when he says team success has a bearing on player perception. Battle has shouldered a larger load more consistently than Richardson did. Richardson was probably a better shooter but Battle is quite a bit better going to the basket and I think can create his jumpshot better off the dribble.

With regards to Lydon, I don't think he is a pure enough shooter with a quick enough release to be a spot up guy in the NBA. He'll need to do more than he showed here if he's gonna stick around. I could be wrong. His rebounding and intelligence on defense may be enough.

Inefficient Iso scoring is outdated in the NBA. They like guys who can shoot and move it. That's why the NBA was higher on Lydon last year than Battle this year.
Creating doesn't always mean iso scoring. Look at Steph Curry. He's frequently breaking guys down off the dribble within the scope of an offense that moves the ball better than anyone.

Creating doesn't always mean iso scoring. Look at Steph Curry. He's frequently breaking guys down off the dribble within the scope of an offense that moves the ball better than anyone.

When has he ever created for others?

As a fan it's become imprudent to have any modicum of expectation for kids to return. It really isn't a matter of whether they could use an extra year, or whether the team has the potential to vie for a title... it's simply driven by economics... $$$$

Sadly, most all of the characteristics that once made college basketball so captivating and exciting are no longer a component in NCAA college basketball. Every facet of the game has been inexorably changed for the worse. I'm grateful for having been around to see the formation of the Big East Conference and watching it become the best conference on the planet virtually overnight. And with it's success it gave rise to rivalries and an intensity which I am certain will never be matched with the current paradigm. I know I'm not alone in saying that I miss the Big East. Nova seems to have done alright without making the move to the ACC. It's very disappointing to think of the fact that we have only won one ACC tournament game since we made the move.

We now find the program... way out of the top 25... seemingly moving toward becoming a perennial bubble team... and with no clear vision as to who will be running the program 5 years or so from now. I know that other programs deal with early departures for the NBA but... does it not "feel" like Syracuse is more acutely affected by them? It would seem that having one of the recent NBA opt'ers coming back for an additional year may well have been the difference of us making the tournament the last 2 seasons.

It can seem depressing when at years end we are sitting in bubble ville waiting to see if we are "IN... or OUT". Nonetheless, for myself, regardless of what happens I will always be totally on board for Orange Basketball. Once again my thoughts turn towards being hopeful that next year... "will be the year".

I'm not sure I see the athleticism many of you speak of. I think if TB goes to the combine he's going to find several better athletes that aren't necessarily better basketball players than him. It will likely come down to how he shoots at the combine. Someone mentioned that he has a "step back." I disagree. He shoots more of a fade away than step back and he still has way too much leg in his form that hinders him late game when he wears down. Lastly, the reason TB is rated so lowly is that 6'6" basketball players are a dime a dozen. The guys that excel at some part of the game are the ones that go 1st round. TB is pretty good at everything but what does he excel at?
I agree his athleticism is definitely overrated. He’s gotta be one of the most inefficient 20 point scorers out there.

I think he goes pro. I don't know if he gets drafted.

He could be a good perimeter defender but he's not Andre Roberson and will have to show much higher efficiency on the offensive side to find a spot in the league.

Coming back could get him drafted in the 2nd Round guaranteed. I guess he could fall by the wayside if we run our offense through Brissett and Bazley but I think they help him more than hurt.

A tourney run and high ranking all year would bring him exposure and allow him to showcase said efficiency and build his draft status with a much lower usage. I don't think age factors in much since he's basically what he is. Nobody is drafting him on potential.

Can someone explain how the G-League two-way contracts work? As I read it you are paid the G-League max (around $26k annually) while on the G-League roster but the NBA minimum (over $800k) while on the NBA roster. Does this apply only to undrafted players whose primary contract is with the G-League team and not to NBA draftees whose primary contract is with the NBA team? If so, and if you are reasonably assured of being drafted - even in the second round - most players can see a case to go. If not then why risk leaving early for a salary marginally higher than working at McDonalds?

When has he ever created for others?
He drove the lane and dumped to MD last night. He's done it more than people want to give him credit for. How many NBA level teammates has he played with that know how to move without the ball and finish when they get it?

Hawk Harrelson can you answer this question is Tyus Battle coming back to Syracuse next year?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom