Battle poll question | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Battle poll question

Will Battle return to SU for next year

• Total voters
How do we know he has great measureables? He hasn’t even tested at the combine.

Uh watch our games and look at him? Hes big and prototypical size for a 2 guard and a great athlete.

The guy has also been our best player for 2 seasons. Not sure many/any of our recent first rounders can make that claim.

Uh watch our games and look at him? Hes big and prototypical size for a 2 guard and a great athlete.

The guy has also been our best player for 2 seasons. Not sure many/any of our recent first rounders can make that claim.

Ty has some flaws in his game which have been discussed on this forum. By NBA standards he is probably considered to be an average, not a great, athlete.

Teams like to have some three and D players on the roster. Ty doesn't make a high enough percentage of threes from college distance to fit the three and d type prototype. Never mind NBA distance. Additionally, (per my NBA scout friend), the D part from Cuse players is very difficult for scouts to project due to the 100% zone.

So, for Ty to get drafted, even in the second round, teams would have to have confidence in his ability to overcome his flaws.

I just can't see any team loving Ty enough to be making second round promises. I think he will definitely be on some team's boards should he stay in the draft, but somebody loving him enough to make promises. I just don't see that. Teams will want to keep their options open and have flexibility to trade up or down within the round in case somebody they really like slips.

As a Knick fan, i can't help but compare Ty to Damyean Dotson, who the Knicks took in the early to mid part of the second round last year. Dotson is arguably more athletic, similar size, better shooter, better finisher, and better rebounder. In that context, it is hard to love Ty before the end of the second round at best.

He wasn’t our best player last year. White and Lydon were both better over the course of the season. Battle may be a better scorer, but that’s just one area of the game and he wasn’t that efficient.

I’m not sure he’s that good an athlete. I actually think he muscles people to the basket compared to someone like Donte Dicencenzo who is both a better shooter and has the ability to blow by people.

Last edited:
He wasn’t our best player last year. White and Lydon were both better over the course of the season. Battle may be a better scorer, but that’s just one area of the game and he wasn’t that efficient.

I’m not sure he’s that good an athlete. I actually think he muscles people to the basket compared to someone like Donte Dicencenzo who is both a better shooter and has the ability to blow by people.

Sometimes I guess you remember what you want to remember 16/17 wasn't that long ago. Looked up the stats and White averaged 18 Tyus 12. I just remember Tyus being the main guy to get us our tough baskets we needed while White shot a lot of threes and Lydon did most of his work inside when he wasn't pump faking on the 3 pt line.

I think strength is what will keep him in the NBA provided he gets there in the first place. Hes a guy who should hang around on rosters. But its a tough path if you don't go 1st round. Good player it will be a shame if hes the first Syracuse player to leave early and get totally skunked in the draft. Happens a lot across the sport don't know the numbers off hand but I think close to 100 kids a year leave early thinking they will get drafted and don't it just hasn't really happened to our guys. Its gonna suck if hes playing with Bazley next year. I really wanna see the three 40 minute per game NCAA minutes leading ironmen back playing a dominant zone and pressing a lot with Carey and Hughes subbing in.

Generally you don't think of zone teams as 'physical' but next year our team will be extremely physically imposing if all 3 come back Frankie isn't exactly small. Good luck getting past them and if you do say hello to our 7-3 tree ready to swat you.

Why is he also considered a great defender? He was burned so many times not sliding over fast enough, not being aware, or not closing out on shooters arguably more than Frank did.
"so many times?" care to quantify that? i mean, we had the 5th most efficient defense in the nation last season & tyus was on the floor for over 96% of all minutes, so your "so many" can only be a relative & highly contingent term.

if you are determined to look for failure, you can find it. that could even be your sig line.

Sometimes I guess you remember what you want to remember 16/17 wasn't that long ago. Looked up the stats and White averaged 18 Tyus 12. I just remember Tyus being the main guy to get us our tough baskets we needed while White shot a lot of threes and Lydon did most of his work inside when he wasn't pump faking on the 3 pt line.

I think strength is what will keep him in the NBA provided he gets there in the first place. Hes a guy who should hang around on rosters. But its a tough path if you don't go 1st round. Good player it will be a shame if hes the first Syracuse player to leave early and get totally skunked in the draft. Happens a lot across the sport don't know the numbers off hand but I think close to 100 kids a year leave early thinking they will get drafted and don't it just hasn't really happened to our guys. Its gonna suck if hes playing with Bazley next year. I really wanna see the three 40 minute per game NCAA minutes leading ironmen back playing a dominant zone and pressing a lot with Carey and Hughes subbing in.

Generally you don't think of zone teams as 'physical' but next year our team will be extremely physically imposing if all 3 come back Frankie isn't exactly small. Good luck getting past them and if you do say hello to our 7-3 tree ready to swat you.

You’re cherry picking a couple big shots. This isn’t a knock on battle at all because I thought he was great as a frosh. But he was not our best player. White and Lydon shot better overall, shot better from 3, had better free throw percentages, and not to mention rebounding. I’m sure other teams focused a bit more on Lydon and white also.

You’re cherry picking a couple big shots. This isn’t a knock on battle at all because I thought he was great as a frosh. But he was not our best player. White and Lydon shot better overall, shot better from 3, had better free throw percentages, and not to mention rebounding. I’m sure other teams focused a bit more on Lydon and white also.

Thats fair. The team didn't get good until White heated up in conference and Gillon emerged. Lydon was asked to do too much logging 40 minutes per game at center and his scoring suffered.

That was a good team but their Wake Forest/Notre Dame moments came at much worse times losing to ex Big East foes who were garbage. They were lights out in the Dome vs ACC teams though. Battle was good throughout the year and I remember him getting us a lot of tough buckets. He isn't a guy who relies on the D making mistakes or being out of position and being wide open to get his points he gets a lot of his when the defender is right there and in his face. I really hope he comes back.

"so many times?" care to quantify that? i mean, we had the 5th most efficient defense in the nation last season & tyus was on the floor for over 96% of all minutes, so your "so many" can only be a relative & highly contingent term.

if you are determined to look for failure, you can find it. that could even be your sig line.

Uh, I don’t think I need to quantify that. Thanks for the failed psychology lesson. But, if I must explain I’ll say the following. Even with the 5 AdjD ranking there are other numbers worth diving into. Per teamrankings.com Syracuse was 207 in the nation in Opponent 3pt FGs allowed per game. Needless to say that’s giving up a lot of threes, regardless of by design/strategy or not. Especially since we play grinder/low possession games. If one is honest watching the games Tyus does a lot of what I mentioned. That doesn’t mean he isn’t a solid or good defender but my initial response was not to you. It was to the new guy who claimed Tyus to be a “great” defender. He’s not, IMO.

NCAA Basketball Stats - NCAA BB Team Opponent Three Pointers Made per Game on TeamRankings.com

Last edited:
Uh, I don’t think I need to quantify that. Thanks for the failed psychology lesson. But, if I must explain I’ll say the following. Even with the 5 AdjD ranking there are other numbers worth diving into. Per teamrankings.com Syracuse was 207 in the nation in Opponent 3pt FGs allowed per game. Needless to say that’s giving up a lot of threes, regardless of by design/strategy or not. Especially since we play grinder/low possession games. If one is honest watching the games Tyus does a lot of what I mentioned. That doesn’t mean he isn’t a solid or good defender but my initial response was not to you. It was to the new guy who claimed Tyus to be a “great” defender. He’s not, IMO.

NCAA Basketball Stats - NCAA BB Team Opponent Three Pointers Made per Game on TeamRankings.com

An extremely young team with Tyus as the only returning player who had logged a full season playing big minutes prior to this year bought into Boeheims zone immediately. We've had better teams but this one was tough and never got blown out (maybe Duke regular season coming off UNC or one of the UVA games.) We played good D all year. Tyus was the leader. Leadership was important this year we had one key player quit in September and the only senior quit in December. Battle gave us 'good' D and 'great' leadership for 2 years. Hope he comes back I want to see the same team that beat MSU and should have beaten Duke on the floor in November with Hughes and Carey subbing in so we can run and press more.

How many zones have we had better than this team all time? 2010 for certain probably the recent final four teams. 2018 team is up there.

Last edited:
An extremely young team with Tyus as the only returning player who had logged a full season playing big minutes prior to this year bought into Boeheims zone immediately. We've had better teams but this one was tough and never got blown out (maybe Duke regular season coming off UNC or one of the UVA games.) We played good D all year. Tyus was the leader. Leadership was important this year we had one key player quit in September and the only senior quit in December. Battle gave us 'good' D and 'great' leadership for 2 years. Hope he comes back I want to see the same team that beat MSU and should have beaten Duke on the floor in September with Hughes and Carey subbing in so we can run and press more.

How many zones have we had better than this team all time? 2010 for certain probably the recent final four teams. 2018 team is up there.

Not disputing the D wasn’t good all year. I bet Boeheim himself would tell you we gave up too many threes, however. He lamented that many times in pressers how the guards were not getting up on shooters enough nor identifying the one guy going off. Obviously I hope he comes back and he’s definitely a great leader. Really hoping Carey is the real deal to get the team moving more and not plodding when he gets in the game.

In my view, it's still to be determined. His waiting all this time until declaring, and declaring a couple of days before the deadline without an agent, tells me one thing, he's simply buying more time. If his mind was made up that he was gone, he'd have an agent, certainly after all this time pondering. The fact that all but one mock have in going in the 2nd round, along with a few NBA scouts (per recent article) saying he's a second round pick, and how he should return to school as next year's draft looks consideraby weaker, etc., is difficult for him to digest, but the reality of the current situation.

He clearly wants to go, his tweet last week about proving people wrong his whole life, etc. reflects this sentiment, along with his little bro's tweat/liking of it. I doubt he gets any guarantees, even if he has a solid work out in Chicago. At this point, it'll come down to whether he's okay (in his mind) of being in the G league next year as a 2nd round (non-guaranteed player) hoping he has what it takes (skill wise) in ascending shortly thereafter to an NBA roster.
I think his dad is a positive role model and influence in his life, and ultimately he listens to dad, comes back to Cuse for 1 more year and becomes a first round draft pick next year.

Changed my vote. Don't think he's coming back and will be a early to mid second round pick.

Then why leave if your a 2nd round pick?

A. He thinks that'll be the best way for him to get to his dream.

B. He's not sure he can improve his draft stock.

C. He doesn't want to come back to Syracuse.

A. He thinks that'll be the best way for him to get to his dream.

B. He's not sure he can improve his draft stock.

C. He doesn't want to come back to Syracuse.
A. Not sure that's true

B. Next years draft is much weaker .

C. According to dad he loves syracuse.

A. Not sure that's true

B. Next years draft is much weaker .

C. According to dad he loves syracuse.

I like to think of myself as a logical person, if all you say is true that I quote, NO brainer he should stay.

He leaves, there's a reason.

I like to think of myself as a logical person, if all you say is true that I quote, NO brainer he should stay.

He leaves, there's a reason.
I just don't see the logic in leaving if your not a first round pick.

I just don't see the logic in leaving if your not a first round pick.

Maybe he can't stand it here and another year seems unbearable to him?

Not saying that's true, but that could be a reason.

Maybe he can't stand it here and another year seems unbearable to him?

Not saying that's true, but that could be a reason.
Then why did his dad come out and say he loves syracuse? I don't see that being the case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom