Battle was not invited to the combine...How about Oshae? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Battle was not invited to the combine...How about Oshae?

This is really going to help us next time we are in a recruiting battle with oh say Michigan... Battle made the switch to us, I wonder if he had a do over whether he would have stayed at Michigan. In hindsight, given the quality of players Michigan has gotten drafted recently, I think Battle made the wrong choice to come to Syracuse. People can feel free to disagree.
Which is why we need a better offense.
Our offense forced Battle into doing it himself and the draft is all about upside.
Our offense doesn’t help players hide their weaknesses.

The accepted truth seems to be that Battle was going to be a second round pick last year, but decided to come back to college and slipped to not being drafted.

I don't actually think this is true.

Battle doesn't have range out to the NBA 3 point line (or really even the college line). I don't think he was getting drafted last year, this year, or next year, in any round, without that skill.

10 years ago, maybe even 5, Battle is a first round pick after his sophomore year. But the game has changed quickly and his skill set does not match what the NBA is looking for.

The accepted truth seems to be that Battle was going to be a second round pick last year, but decided to come back to college and slipped to not being drafted.

Battle doesn't have range out to the NBA 3 point line (or really even the college line). I don't think he was getting drafted last year, this year, or next year, in any round, without that skill.

10 years ago, maybe even 5, Battle is a first round pick after his sophomore year. But the game has changed quickly and his skill set does not match what the NBA is looking for.
Battle gets drafted in the second round last year.

He should hopefully still get drafted this year but the additional year here didn’t help his draft stock.

This really blows. Tyus played his ass off and was a legitimate student athlete that represented the school well and produced some huge shots and wins.
To me JB and Wildhack should have been on the phone and getting this kid an invite. If they did try and didn't have enough juice that is problematic as well.
I hope other schools recruiting against us won't point at Tyus and say not only did Cuse's best player not get drafted, he couldn't get to the combine.
One other nitpick I thought it was wrong of JB to say Tyus may have to go to Europe for a couple of years and then try the NBA. He may be right and he may believe that but as of today he should be out there trying to help Tyus reach his dream of the NBA, or at least helping him get a shot. It is too early for concessions.
At the end of the day if he is good enough to make the NBA he will. Guys have faced longer odds and made it to the league. Through workouts, the G League event etc he will have the opportunity to prove his worth. And this kid won't go down looking.

This really blows. Tyus played his ass off and was a legitimate student athlete that represented the school well and produced some huge shots and wins.
And that's what he should always be remembered for.
(Goodbye, G-town!).

But there's nothing Boeheim or anyone else can do about helping him get to the NBA.
It's on him and his skills.
Some great Orange players never played a day in the league.
That doesn't make them any less great or appreciated

The coach was just being honest in his assessment.
Nothing that Tyus hasn't heard elsewhere in all likelihood.
But hope the dreams come true for him.

Well said. Nailed it.

I don’t have a problem with player development. People forget until last year when we had nobody in the draft, we had 6 straight years of a 1st round draft pick. And none of them were recruited as sure fire one and done nba talent types.

Last edited:
For those who can read the article, Tyus still has a chance to get to the NBA combine if he is one of the top players there.

"The G-League camp will include approximately 40 players. The top players at the camp will be invited to the NBA combine."

Tyus will have a nice 10-12 year pro career in probably a high-level European league, and then I could totally see him going on to coaching or maybe even being an in-studio analyst with his personality.

I thought playing in Europe was a bad thing? I mean every time a player that unexpectedly declares or leaves, there are responses of, "WHERE'S HE GOING??? EUROPE?!?!?"

By the way, I'm all in agreement that there's nothing wrong at all with the foreign basketball route! If he gets paid, he gets paid.

Not sure I totally agree -- at least in the case of a kid that's maybe going to get a call in the mid-to-late second round. I get what you're saying, but if you're actually fringy there are two things that are exceptionally important, IMO.

1.) You probably have to at least account for the fact that you may not end up with a 10-year NBA career and therefore your money is going to come from Europe and your college degree. Battle walks out of here with a degree (or at least very close to one) and still can go play in europe, which is where he was likely to end up anyway.

2.) If you're fringy, the other thing you need is a really refined skill set of one sort or another. A kid like Brogdan, for example, is having success as a really well-rounded, mature basketball player. If you're an elite athlete like Jerami Grant or MCW, then have it. The NBA will be a little more patient with you. But if not, you better walk through the doors of the arena with a polished set of skills that allows you to contribute when you're on the floor. Otherwise you're not getting much of a chance.

To be clear, if you're a kid that wants to be in the nba and you want to leave at the first whiff, go for it. I also agree that in a case like Battle's, there is a chance an extra year does little or nothing for you. But I"m simply saying there's path to a prolonged NBA career that is aided by a few years of college ball.
I totally get your points. I just look at it, or I guess believe that he can still work toward his degree playing for pay or not, and a player can round out a skill set at a pretty high level when you are playing for pay and have unlimited access to coaching, etc.

I totally get your points. I just look at it, or I guess believe that he can still work toward his degree playing for pay or not, and a player can round out a skill set at a pretty high level when you are playing for pay and have unlimited access to coaching, etc.

I can see this point of view and I don't know that I'm right in my viewpoint. I also wholly support these kids basically making the effort to get paid somewhere as quickly as possible.

I just think people sometimes underrate the value of playing highly competitive basketball with good coaches and instead tend to overrate the G League, which is terrible basketball (generally) and not something the NBA pumps any money into. What I think would be great is if the NBA really committed to making this a high-quality, well-organized and well-funded developmental league instead of a place to stash kids for the purposes of roster depth. There are some teams (Toronto) who seem to take the league more seriously, but very few franchises do.

In the end, I just feel like a lot of these dudes will end up using that degree I just don't think the option of getting more credits and playing high-level hoops is always the wrong decision. But again, I'm cool with what they want to do (not that they care or should care what I think).

I think the big problem with Ty was not the lack of three point shooting per se, but the fact that he did not correct his funky form this season, which probably makes NBA scouts think he will never have three point range. Lot's of guys with good technique are able to extend their range naturally as they get stronger. That was not the case with Ty.

All that being said, I am still shocked he did not even get an invite. He has an NBA body and NBA size. Not saying the scouts are wrong, but I do not understand nobody even wanting to look at him.

I thought playing in Europe was a bad thing? I mean every time a player that unexpectedly declares or leaves, there are responses of, "WHERE'S HE GOING??? EUROPE?!?!?"

By the way, I'm all in agreement that there's nothing wrong at all with the foreign basketball route! If he gets paid, he gets paid.

I think it's the way it's reported because all we hear is that a guy declares for the draft -- not that a guy declares to pursue a professional career. So a lot of the snark or whatever is a function of people (many times correctly) saying 'uhhh, the nba isn't calling.'

I agree with you, though, that there's nothing wrong with playing in europe. It is worth noting, however, that often times european careers mean playing for a bunch of clubs in a bunch of different countries. That's not for everyone. And the G League means playing in front of 3,500 people in Fort Wayne for $19,000 a year. I don't think that's anyone's idea of playing professional basketball.

I think bragging about being right on the internet is ridiculous.

THIS takes it to another level.
Its more like this board overrates Syracuse players. If you want the truth about a Syracuse players game don’t come here.

Exactly what I was saying. 60 invites (thanks Chugg21) to the combine, over 200 undergrads opting for the draft. They probably want to see some they haven't seen before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom