Baylor should get the death penalty | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Baylor should get the death penalty

I see a movie in the making starring Billy Bob Thornton as Art Briles

In that article it said university regents wept openly at hearing what had been going on. All the lives damaged by this and all for what? NCAA is a joke, the last thing they care about is the lives of student athletes. It must be the money, I don't know what else would be motivating this turning of a blind eye to these tragedies.

NCAA doing some fishing. "Casting a wide net" Maybe the Big 12 will go the way of the old SWC.

No, but he did coincidentally drop his lawsuit against the university around the same time this news dropped:

Art Briles dropped his lawsuit against Baylor after months of fighting

This so lame LOL...“All he wanted was his good name." Cannon said.

When those freaking texts that came out his Lawyer then knew he had zero chance of winning.Plus I bet those texts never came from his phone...He should have looked at whose phone he text those messages to first before hitting the delete button.

NCAA doing some fishing. "Casting a wide net" Maybe the Big 12 will go the way of the old SWC.

The regents' response alleges Briles and his coaching staff created a disciplinary "black hole" into "which reports of misconduct such as drug use, physical assault, domestic violence, brandishing of guns, indecent exposure and academic fraud disappeared."

Briles' attorney, Ernest Cannon, told The Associated Press: "Art Briles is trying to go on with his life. I think Baylor regents would be better served if they would, too.'' A threat here?Maybe to take down a few of the Baylor Regents with him.

Academic fraud too...Art Briles, Baylor assistants kept players' misbehavior under wraps, legal documents reveal

The regents' response alleges Briles and his coaching staff created a disciplinary "black hole" into "which reports of misconduct such as drug use, physical assault, domestic violence, brandishing of guns, indecent exposure and academic fraud disappeared."

Briles' attorney, Ernest Cannon, told The Associated Press: "Art Briles is trying to go on with his life. I think Baylor regents would be better served if they would, too.'' A threat here?Maybe to take down a few of the Baylor Regents with him.

Academic fraud too...Art Briles, Baylor assistants kept players' misbehavior under wraps, legal documents reveal

I'm pretty sure the scum off the bottom of my shoe ranks higher in the social order than defense attorneys do. And I'm not talking about public defenders, I'm talking about scum like Ernest Cannon. It takes a special kind of person to be exposed to the wrong someone has done and then try to develop a strategy to assist them in avoiding facing justice.

After about a decade long investigation, Syracuse basketball got lit up primarily for a clerical mistake relating to an optional drug test, roughly $2,000 in impermissible benefits that were given to players by a fan w/ a tenuous (at best) relationship w/ the school, and because a secretary and low-ranking AD employee wrote a paper for Fab.

PSU admins and it's football program, however, implicitly (at the least) sanctioned child r*** for 4 decades, altered/interfered w/ disciplinary hearings, and changed grades. Naturally, nothing of any substance happened. Evidently r**** that occurred in the football facilities, were perpetrated by football staff, and were covered up to protect the FB program weren't an issue of player safety.

Miami bought h****** with c*** and then paid for a********. Naturally, nothing of any substance happened.

UNC invented fake classes so that they could give kids degrees in exchange for playing on the team. Their punishment is TBD, but it has been a big fat nothing if any substance so far.

We picked up Miami's tab and PSU's tab. Maybe Baylor will get UNC's tab, and the NCAA can go from 0/4 to 1/5.

I'm pretty sure the scum off the bottom of my shoe ranks higher in the social order than defense attorneys do. And I'm not talking about public defenders, I'm talking about scum like Ernest Cannon. It takes a special kind of person to be exposed to the wrong someone has done and then try to develop a strategy to assist them in avoiding facing justice.
I hate statements like this one. Everybody deserves a day in court - even the rich.

I hate statements like this one. Everybody deserves a day in court - even the rich.

I don't care if you hate it. "Deserving a day in court", which you're right, everyone does deserve that, is far different than manipulating the system of justice in order to get reduced sentences or worse for people who, due to legal privilege, you KNOW are guilty. So I stand by my statement.

There is a difference between ensuring someone who is accused gets a fair trial (which is why I specifically said my comment doesn't apply to public defenders because I feel that on the whole that is exactly what they do) and manipulating the system (the game of justice) to try to get someone off who you personally know by their own admission is guilty of exactly what they are charged with.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="tep624, post: 2063852, member:

try to develop a strategy to assist them in avoiding facing justice.[/QUOTE]

That is not the job.

The job is to make the other side prove the case. I have worked on cases where I had to do all I could to get evidence tossed: DNA taken from sheets which had been washed and slapped in for 6 months after the incident, trying to have testimony struck because a victim had oppositional defiant disorder, and was (our position) inherently unreliable. And this guy was a POS.

I have also worked on civil cases where guys spent time in prison for crimes they absolutely did not do.

They went to prison because their defense attorneys did not do everything they could, within the bounds of the law and their state's legal ethics (not their personal mores) to make sure the other side actually proved their case.

If we don't want the government to be able to just jail anyone, a strong adversarial system is necessary.

Sometimes bad guys go free, but it is never the fault of the defense attorney. It means the prosecution didn't prove its case.

Justice is a fair process, not a result.

Sometimes bad guys go free, but it is never the fault of the defense attorney. It means the prosecution didn't prove its case.

It's a very slippery slope you're on. If you have been told by the person in question that they have in fact committed the crime that they are charged with, then anything outside of ensuring that they aren't given a sentence in excess of what is reasonable really isn't justice to me. Just my opinion.

It's a very slippery slope you're on. If you have been told by the person in question that they have in fact committed the crime that they are charged with, then anything outside of ensuring that they aren't given a sentence in excess of what is reasonable really isn't justice to me. Just my opinion.

Respectfully, the slippery slope is to not let the government investigate. If the admissions were made to anyone other than an attorney, there is no legal right to hide the information. If there is any condemning documentation (text, voicemail, email, report, etc.) the government is entitled to the information if they ask for it. If a person hides the information when requested, they can be tried for crimes of their own; i.e. obstruction, aiding and abetting, conspiracy, etc. The government has the duty to prove their case against an alleged criminal. It has been and should always be a maxim that it is better for a guilty man to go free than to take the rights of an innocent man.

That said, I believe Briles knew of and covered up the assaults. My belief is not sufficient to take away a person's rights and liberty, only a confession or conviction allows the government to do so. I believe the evidence will come out and Briles will cut a deal for cooperation before he allows himself to be charged and tried.

Don't forget Minnesota.

I would not lump Minnesota in with Baylor or Kansas. After the incixent was reported, several players were suspended until the DA decided not to prosecute. Then, even though the DA did not think there was enough evidemce to secure a conviction (based partly on a cell phone video in which she initially consented to have sex with a player and her text messages), the school suspended/expelled players. The school certainly did not ignore or try to sweep the allegations under the rug.

I don't care if you hate it. "Deserving a day in court", which you're right, everyone does deserve that, is far different than manipulating the system of justice in order to get reduced sentences or worse for people who, due to legal privilege, you KNOW are guilty. So I stand by my statement.

There is a difference between ensuring someone who is accused gets a fair trial (which is why I specifically said my comment doesn't apply to public defenders because I feel that on the whole that is exactly what they do) and manipulating the system (the game of justice) to try to get someone off who you personally know by their own admission is guilty of exactly what they are charged with.
Your argument against both lawyer ethics (diligently and vigorously defending their clients) and client-lawyer confidentiality is highly problematic and reminiscent of totalitarian Germany.

You also are randomly pretending that excusing public defenders somehow lets you only target "bad" defense lawyers, as if all other defense lawyers are corrupt, conniving "scum" (your actual word). Either you materially misunderstand how the judicial system works, or you apparently think that the government should be the only provider of legal defense in this country. If you can't see the problem w/ the prosecuting party being the only source of a defense, they I question your judgement.

I have nothing against public defenders. The PD's that I know are great people and phenomenal lawyers. However, many PD's are over-worked and under resourced.

Texas really ought to jump ship

new staff picking right up where the old staff left off.

I'm not surprised they fired him. If we've learned anything, it's that Baylor football is full of integrity....

Sickening, if Smu can get the death penalty for paying players, Baylor should for promoting a culture of rape, I hope both Briles never get another job.
no one should get the death penalty since penn state did not get it for a far more heinous crime. by not giving them the death penalty and then reducing the penalty they did give them, a precedent was set in the wrong direction. ncaa is dysfunctional. jay bilas needs to take them over

Not at all. (BTW- a good defense attorney never asks the client if he did it. )
1st- I can't disclose that conversation.
2nd - the DA must still prove the case.
Defense Attorneys' job is NEVER guilt or innocence. It's assuring fairness of, and adherence to, the judicial process.
Not everyone can compartmentalize that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom