Bazely changes his mind again .. and dumps G League | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Bazely changes his mind again .. and dumps G League

At his level he'll be coached by some chain smoking Bulgarian and not sure when / if payday is.

Shows that his agent and handlers don't have the pull to get him in a decent situation overseas. It's always a crap shoot over there but is better with connections and of course if you have a game that they think will help them win. What's strange is he kept mentioning being a team player who cares more about winning than individual accolades but he's gone out of his way to avoid being in a team situation.

Shows that his agent and handlers don't have the pull to get him in a decent situation overseas. It's always a crap shoot over there but is better with connections and of course if you have a game that they think will help them win. What's strange is he kept mentioning being a team player who cares more about winning than individual accolades but he's gone out of his way to avoid being in a team situation.

He’s delusional now I think and his game has regressed it seems. That Nike Skills thing he did recently created irreparable damage. When Givony and others say you’re not ready for the G-League even and/or this time off is yet another bad decision; he and his camp are just role-playing now. It’s crazy how things have changed since those good performances on the circuit/AAU. I wonder how he will be treated now by those leeches around him who were expecting a much bigger payday by now.

Last edited:
He’s delusional now I think and his game has regressed it seems. That Nike Skills thing he did recently created irreparable damage. When Givony and others say you’re not ready for the G-League even and/or this time off is yet another bad decision; he and his camp are just role-playing now. It’s crazy how things have changed since those good performances on the circuit/AAU. I wonder how he will be treated now by those leeches around him who were expecting a much bigger payday by now.

My "concern" [I'm not really all that concerned, frankly] is that the Nike Skills camp gave scouts an impression that will be difficult for him to overcome.

Teams take fliers on unproven commodities all the time. But often those picks are made based upon potential, absent lots of "evidence" to dissect. With Bazely, they have film to dissect, and all of his flaws were clearly on display.

Really, that Nike Skills camp could not have gone worse for him.

His handlers are now in full damage control mode, trying to limit his exposure so that ironically he doesn't get "exposed" further -- but the damage has already been irrevocably done. Wouldn't be remotely surprised to see this kid slip into the second round, now that NBA scouts have something "negative" to attach to him in their evaluation.

Last edited:
The kid could’ve come here and put up a nonspectacular 10 and 7(I’m not saying he couldn’t/wouldn’t have done more) with all his flaws covered up and his strengths very apparent on a team that lives in the top 10 and on TV all year, and been a first rounder next year.

It really is unfortunate all the way around. I feel like he’s making things way more difficult on himself than he needed to.

My "concern" [I'm not really all that concerned, frankly] is that the Nike Skills camp gave scouts an impression that will be difficult for him to overcome.

Teams take fliers on unproven commodities all the time. But often those picks are made based upon potential, absent lots of "evidence" to dissect. With Bazely, they have film to dissect, and all of his flaws were clearly on display.

Really, that Nike Skills camp could not have gone worse for him.

His camp is now in full damage control mode, trying to limit his exposure so that he doesn't get "exposed" further, but the damage has already been done.

Right. That Nike Skills camp seemed to be a great setting to be validated or invalidated. Unfortunately, like you say, it could not have gone worse. I feel really bad for him. We’re talking such a rapid tailspin. It must be truly devastating to him in reality. Say what you want about Miles Bridges (we’ve seen players look bad against zone like Harden) but he was obviously highly thought of being the 12th pick and was very productive his whole time at MSU. I can’t even imagine how far off Bazely was training and going against Bridges in workouts. Boy against man. I don’t think this ends well.

His camp really screwed him. Had an easy path through Syracuse to the first round. Now it’s gonna be an uphill climb getting back into the 1st. Sucks for the kid. Hopefully he realizes his mistake and salvages his opportunity. Not even sure the best route to do that at this point. Just an all around mess.

So if Bazely was going to lead the charge of top 5-10 hs seniors to the G league is he now going to lead the charge to "take a year off to train"? Or has he actually shown the falicy of it being a good idea to go right to the G league out of hs? People here had pointed out that the G is everyman for himself (including coaches) and not the place to develop skills in a team game.

The kid could’ve come here and put up a nonspectacular 10 and 7(I’m not saying he couldn’t/wouldn’t have done more) with all his flaws covered up and his strengths very apparent on a team that lives in the top 10 and on TV all year, and been a first rounder next year.

It really is unfortunate all the way around. I feel like he’s making things way more difficult on himself than he needed to.

Straight up, Battle doesn’t return this year if Bazley was here and I get the sense Oshae would have at least tested the waters, so we wouldn’t have all this talent coming back. Bazley didn’t exactly kick it off with anyone on his official.

Straight up, Battle doesn’t return this year if Bazley was here and I get the sense Oshae would have at least tested the waters, so we wouldn’t have all this talent coming back. Bazley didn’t exactly kick it off with anyone on his official.

I have a hard time believing someone would make a major life decision based on personal feelings for someone they barely know?

This was obvious to everyone in the basketball world except Bazely and his handlers. Sure, HS recruits deserve the space to find their own career paths. But the nature and timing of this kid's last-minute G-League pivot displayed both weak character and malign influences. By now, the impact is setting in: the agent "loan" has probably been frittered away; the NBA music is growing faint; and there's no GL chair to sit in. I don't wish him ill - he certainly has pro potential and BOL. OTOH my sympathy for his current predicament is near zero because of the sleaze that oozed out of his recruitment at the end.

Last edited:
Sorry but I don't feel sympathy for Bazley. All this kid needed to do to become a multi-millionaire was play one good season at SU. But he couldn't be bothered to go to classes and do the school work (even with massive help from tutors assigned to him). So he takes the "easy way" out. And it was a bad move.

His camp really screwed him. Had an easy path through Syracuse to the first round. Now it’s gonna be an uphill climb getting back into the 1st. Sucks for the kid. Hopefully he realizes his mistake and salvages his opportunity. Not even sure the best route to do that at this point. Just an all around mess.
That's how I feel too. If he decommitted because he would have been exposed in the G-League, not sure he would do much better in Europe. If he were to go to a higher division, he would face tough competition. If he goes to a weaker one, the scouts will know this too.

I have a hard time believing someone would make a major life decision based on personal feelings for someone they barely know?

It’s more than that obviously...Bazley made it very clear he would have been for himself and not so much the team. Which means Bazley is most likely taking a lot of shots, trying to do a lot of things himself, etc...essentially that takes some of the spotlight off Battle and Oshae. Also whose not to say that their production wouldn’t have been hurt if Bazley was here...I think if Bazley was here and Battle came back it would have hurt his draft stock. I’m not saying personal feelings were amajor factor he would have stayed/left but I’m sure his feelings toward Bazley and knowing he’s not necessarily the best team player would have at least played small factor if that makes sense...

It’s more than that obviously...Bazley made it very clear he would have been for himself and not so much the team. Which means Bazley is most likely taking a lot of shots, trying to do a lot of things himself, etc...essentially that takes some of the spotlight off Battle and Oshae. Also whose not to say that their production wouldn’t have been hurt if Bazley was here...I think if Bazley was here and Battle came back it would have hurt his draft stock. I’m not saying personal feelings were amajor factor he would have stayed/left but I’m sure his feelings toward Bazley and knowing he’s not necessarily the best team player would have at least played small factor if that makes sense...

That stuff tends to get worked out on the practice floor though. And not for nothing but Boeheim’s got more than enough juice to make sure the pecking order is what it should be.

I remember Jason Hart saying how he wanted to fight Deshaun Williams when he first got to Cuse because he came in so cocky, but that team didn’t have any problems playing together.

These feeling may indeed have been very real, but I have a hard time believing that in reality it would’ve been any kind of big deal. I’m sure some initial tension between hotshot incoming freshman and returning veteran star is an incredibly common thing in D-1 college hoops.

I don't think he "made it very clear" -- I think that's just the interpretation some took from his comments.

In actuality, Bazely is a very unselfish player who is a great passer. I agree that having Battle come back would have reduced everyone's shots / role in the offense. But maybe Battle doesn't choose to come back if Bazely hadn't bounced.

I think it would be a different story if Bazely's main strengths were as a scorer, and he needed to come in and take a bunch of volume shots to do his thing. Instead, he has the type of game that generally fits into any team's offensive concept without rocking the boat. Usually, when you pass the ball well, you fit in with your teammates.

I don't think he "made it very clear" -- I think that's just the interpretation some took from his comments.

In actuality, Bazely is a very unselfish player who is a great passer. I agree that having Battle come back would have reduced everyone's shots / role in the offense. But maybe Battle doesn't choose to come back if Bazely hadn't bounced.

I think it would be a different story if Bazely's main strengths were as a scorer. But he has the type of game that generally fits into any team's offensive concept without rocking the boat. Usually, when you pass the ball well, you fit in with your teammates.

some of these people need to go read their posts from when he committed to Syracuse.

some of these people need to go read their posts from when he committed to Syracuse.
I’m not saying he’s a bad player, cause he is a good player that was extremely misguided...but it’s no secret what has come out, and what happened during his commitment and during his official...not all of this was known during some earlier posts...during earlier posts all we knew was we had a really good player, we didn’t know the behind the scenes drama.

I’m not saying he’s a bad player, cause he is a good player that was extremely misguided...but it’s no secret what has come out, and what happened during his commitment and during his official...not all of this was known during some earlier posts...during earlier posts all we knew was we had a really good player, we didn’t know the behind the scenes drama.

misguided, yes. behind the scenes drama, overblown.

What "drama" from his commitment visit? That he was quiet and preferred to shoot in the gym instead of horsing around with the players?

From what I understand went down, that story is like the telephone game -- a minor thing that is now accepted as board "fact" by some.

Long story short, we probably dodged a bullet here. His handlers -- all of them, should take a real long look in the mirror for what they are doing to this young man's life. If this is the kind of drama he is bringing without playing with anyone, I can only imagine what would have happened this year.

That stuff tends to get worked out on the practice floor though. And not for nothing but Boeheim’s got more than enough juice to make sure the pecking order is what it should be.

I remember Jason Hart saying how he wanted to fight Deshaun Williams when he first got to Cuse because he came in so cocky, but that team didn’t have any problems playing together.

These feeling may indeed have been very real, but I have a hard time believing that in reality it would’ve been any kind of big deal. I’m sure some initial tension between hotshot incoming freshman and returning veteran star is an incredibly common thing in D-1 college hoops.

Who didn't want to fight Deshaun Williams? I wanted to fight him and I was a 6' tall 14 year-old who weighed 135 lbs soaking wet.

There's a chance he gets jerked around overseas and barely sees any playing time. Brandon Jennings, a lottery pick, would have games where he barely saw the floor despite being better than many of his teammates.