BC fires Addazio / hires Jeff Hafley | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

BC fires Addazio / hires Jeff Hafley

Things I've learned today: People on this board have a way, way higher opinion of Steve Addazio than I do. The guy just oozes "average".

After 7 years, that can get old. Certainly can't blame their AD for shooting higher.

And for the poster who said he's their Coach P? Yea, thats not even close.
Maybe an average HC, but Urban thought he was a very good assistant coach.

I always liked Addazio as BC coach- thought he was under appreciated. Tough place to win & those fans of theirs who want constant Flutie-era records, will likely be disappointed moving forward. His run game and defense were always solid, albeit a little boring.
If he and Dino can work something out, and i certainly have no idea of their relationship status, I’d be ecstatic if he consulted or joined SU staff.
Actually, same here. He knows SU (as a coach and an opposing coach), and he knows NY, MA, and PA really well. He would be a huge get for northeastern recruiting. We'll need more than just NE recruiting to win at a high level, but I think that the coaching staff already has that, and I think beating out RU, BC, WVU, and Pitt for NE recruits is a key to consistently being PSU's challenger for the region's crown.

BC is stupid. As other Boston locals point out, no one gives a hoot about BC, locally. Addazio understood that. As a line coach, he knew he could win enough, if he developed his line 1-3. Sent 7? To the NFL last year because of his fundamental focus(we'd kill for that oline developement). He grabbed some higher rated linemen this year because of it.

I know a few players at BC, and their parents. Last year, internally, they were pissed that they kept throwing out a 70% AJ Dillon, when the backup was better.

Adazzio knew what he was doing. It bagged him 2 big A$$ tackles this year. He threw out a hurt Dillon to help recruiting. Internally, they griped. Heard it straight from BC parents, that I see at the gym. Adazzio was building, (I agree) but there is a belief that 4 and 5 stars would gladly commit to BC. I disagree. Adazzio was playing to the NFL. NFL despises the spread, and our system. Spreas uses the spread to not develop linemen. It's a good play. Dazzler was playing long. BC admin is clueless...

He's kind of a "do you know who I am guy." I've met and spoken with him. He comes off like a d#ick, but frankly, he has developement.

We aren't getting him for an oline coach, so scrap that. He's earned a HC job. If we could grab a guy like him? We could go long, but there is an oline debate, and frankly, I lean towards the dazzler. He'd have a beef with parts of our scheme, and lack of developement.

He doesnt like us. There is a clock in their locker room counting the days and seconds until they play us.

When my BC friends feel comfy, I'll gladly pass along, but I'll need permission first.

This sets up pretty well for Rutgers with this whole BC staff possibly available.

Also, whoever is the next BC coach has a lot of talent and if they are competent HC, they might be better next year than this year.

This sets up pretty well for Rutgers with this whole BC staff possibly available.

Also, whoever is the next BC coach has a lot of talent and if they are competent HC, they might be better next year than this year.
Schiano got a gift from above for sure.

Add to it UConn a non factor, he is set up nicely to target kids in Mass, NH, CT.

the whole thread is interesting
Wow. I know there was a strong and vocal group of former players at Syracuse who loved Steve and wanted him to be our HC. Maybe he changed after becoming a HC?

I don't know why some folks are saying that this is a terrible decision by BC. Addazio has never won more than 7 games. In 7 years. Going to 4 mediocre bowls, that a handful of BC fans attend, means little when literally 2/3rds of FBS teams make a bowl these days.

His HC resume is the very definition of mediocre. A guy with those kind of results doesn't get to coach for 20 years.

If BC utterly botches the next hire, they will likely slip all the way to being a 3 or 4 win team for a couple seasons. Then they'll hire someone else who can get them back to the 7 win level Addazio has been at. I mean, even freakin' Coach Spaz won 7 and 8 games before he cratered. Probably because of their OL pipeline, BC never seems to have the run off disastrous seasons that we have had. Of course, they never have the highs we do either, and I don't fault them for trying to achieve that with a new HC.

This the same Andre Williams that only lasted two seasons with the Giants.
oh i guess that means he's wrong (maybe I was reading you wrong - if i am, sorry about that)

Last edited:
I don't know why some folks are saying that this is a terrible decision by BC. Addazio has never won more than 7 games. In 7 years. Going to 4 mediocre bowls, that a handful of BC fans attend, means little when literally 2/3rds of FBS teams make a bowl these days.

His HC resume is the very definition of mediocre. A guy with those kind of results doesn't get to coach for 20 years.

If BC utterly botches the next hire, they will likely slip all the way to being a 3 or 4 win team for a couple seasons. Then they'll hire someone else who can get them back to the 7 win level Addazio has been at. I mean, even freakin' Coach Spaz won 7 and 8 games before he cratered. Probably because of their OL pipeline, BC never seems to have the run off disastrous seasons that we have had. Of course, they never have the highs we do either, and I don't fault them for trying to achieve that with a new HC.
I think the reason why is a lot of giants fans prefer a run first pro style approach big back getting 40 carries a game

what's funny is addazio was moving away from that and their offense was getting better

part of that is winning close games often means making plays at the end and a run first pound the ball style doesnt really help in come backs..

Addaizo is a good OL coach but he is basically Doug Marrone without the NFL coaching experience.

That isn’t a good thing or a bad thing.
Boston College can do better. The job has upside but again it has its warts.

Them being mediocre isn’t reason to keep him. They get more talent than we do on an average basis. Thus their is more room for error.
The Syracuse job is harder because of talent. BC puts good pros into the NFL.
They have a top 3 round draft pick 7 of the last 10 years.

We would kill for that talent.

I think the reason why is a lot of giants fans prefer a run first pro style approach big back getting 40 carries a game

what's funny is addazio was moving away from that and their offense was getting better

It's just funny because if in November 2021 SU has had a run of 4-8, 4-8, 10-3, 5-7, 7-6, 7-6, 7-6, I suspect there might be some people who will think its time to move on from our HC.

dino should be on the phone to him with an offer to be associate hc. he would be a great get for us. if dino ignores this, he just plain out of touch.

It's just funny because if in November 2021 SU has had a run of 4-8, 4-8, 10-3, 5-7, 7-6, 7-6, 7-6, I suspect there might be some people who will think its time to move on from our HC.
Isn’t this what basically without 2 4-8s what happened to Coach P?

Addaizo has losses as double digit favorites the last 2 years that kill his record Kansas this year, Purdue last year.
Change is fair after that.

Last edited:
i chalk up babers first couple years to what he was left. I think Addazio had a better roster when he started there.

We won 15 games the last two years. Addazio hasn't done that