BC fires Addazio / hires Jeff Hafley | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

BC fires Addazio / hires Jeff Hafley

These are tough times for head football coaches in the East.

If Franklin leaves Ped State, we have the following coaches out there...

Ken Niumatalolo Navy 13 aeasons
Jeff Monken Army 6 seasons
Patty Narduzzi Pitt 5 seasons
Dino Babers Syracuse 4 seasons
Neal Brown WVU 1 season
Rod Carey Temple 1 season
Mike Locksley Maryland 1 season
Schiano Rutgers 0 seasons
TBD Penn State 0 seasons
TBD BC 0 seasons
Narduzzi and Edsall could face the axe next season

Depending on circumstances, throw Locksley in there for the year after next

he also loves working with the kids. something you do much more as OL than a OC. and no P5 is hiring him as an OC with the style he runs and he didnt run it.

Most important question here is how long was his contract with BC and how long do they have to pay him his salary minus what his new job will pay.

Maybe he wants to take a break from being the head guy until the right job opens up for him.

Look at half of Alabama's staff getting paid from their previous jobs to be analysts...

Exactly. The guy has been there seven years and he is decidedly an average coach, as evidenced by their .500 record. Maybe their next hire will suck, or maybe they find the next Coughlin or Bicknell. Worth a shot.

I don’t think he’s an average coach because the record has been average. BC isn’t an easy place to win. Just like SU. The program doesn’t get much support. Just Ike SU. Penn State is the only Northeast school that will ever compete on a national level again on a consistent basis because of fan and school support. The others will always be trying to find lighting in a bottle. BC should’ve been content with Addazio. He got them to bowl games every year. If you’re not Penn State in the Northeast, that’s about the best you can hope for most of the time.

Most important question here is how long was his contract with BC and how long do they have to pay him his salary minus what his new job will pay.

Maybe he wants to take a break from being the head guy until the right job opens up for him.

Look at half of Alabama's staff getting paid from their previous jobs to be analysts...

Addazio is about 60, so I don’t think he’s going to wait around for the right job. To him — and trust me — BC was the right job. He’s a New Englander. A Northeast guy. He’ll find another job. But it won’t be in the Northeast as a head coach.

Addazio is about 60, so I don’t think he’s going to wait around for the right job. To him — and trust me — BC was the right job. He’s a New Englander. A Northeast guy. He’ll find another job. But it won’t be in the Northeast as a head coach.
He will still be 60 and getting paid to do nothing or he can be 60 and getting paid to be an OC for as long as his contract was regardless of where he is.

What jobs that have opened up in the last few days or so far this year where you see that he would be an ideal candidate ?

Mizzou, USC, USF, FSU, UNLV, UTSA, NEW MEXICO...so far ?

Was he ever an OC? Would offer OL/Run game coordinator/AHC and make him turn us down. Would give us an excellent OL coach, recruiting, and toughness, which we sorely need.

does he want to stay in the NE? now if PSU franklin left that might happen as a non HC

Was he ever an OC? Would offer OL/Run game coordinator/AHC and make him turn us down. Would give us an excellent OL coach, recruiting, and toughness, which we sorely need.
Thats not a bad gig.. he runs a good program. they are tough and they ran the ball on most everyone,

He will still be 60 and getting paid to do nothing or he can be 60 and getting paid to be an OC for as long as his contract was regardless of where he is.

What jobs that have opened up in the last few days or so far this year where you see that he would be an ideal candidate ?

Mizzou, USC, USF, FSU, UNLV, UTSA, NEW MEXICO...so far ?

Agree. None of those. But I’d bet he wants to be a head coach again. Please understand, Addazio would have finished his career at BC regardless of his success. He wasn’t looking to go elsewhere if he had a few good to great seasons. Coach P was the same way.

Agree. None of those. But I’d bet he wants to be a head coach again. Please understand, Addazio would have finished his career at BC regardless of his success. He wasn’t looking to go elsewhere if he had a few good to great seasons. Coach P was the same way.
I could see him working as an offensive consultant, like Locksley did at Bama, or DeLeone does for Baylor. It is a good way to stay in the game and the public eye. Baylor or Florida might be logical places for him to land. Matt Rhule worked under him at Temple and he has a good relationship with DeLeone as well.

This offseason, I would not be surprised to see Coach Babers add an offensive consultant or (more likely) a defensive consultant. Many ACC schools have them...Syracuse is kind on unusual not having any.

Things I've learned today: People on this board have a way, way higher opinion of Steve Addazio than I do. The guy just oozes "average".

After 7 years, that can get old. Certainly can't blame their AD for shooting higher.

And for the poster who said he's their Coach P? Yea, thats not even close.

Last edited:
Dino and Addazio were like oil and water in that coaches room they did 2 years ago. People are getting crazy with all these unemployed coaches.
Their offensive philosophies are on opposite ends of the bell curve. Hard to see it working here for him.

I wish him success. Think he is a good guy and good for college football.

I don’t think he’s an average coach because the record has been average. BC isn’t an easy place to win. Just like SU. The program doesn’t get much support. Just Ike SU. Penn State is the only Northeast school that will ever compete on a national level again on a consistent basis because of fan and school support. The others will always be trying to find lighting in a bottle. BC should’ve been content with Addazio. He got them to bowl games every year. If you’re not Penn State in the Northeast, that’s about the best you can hope for most of the time.
Going against Clemson, FSU and VT every year isn't an easy walk, either.

I'm sure this has been asked 1,000x, but I wonder if we will steal anyone from BC. They usually have 2-3 really highly touted recruits, and I know our record was 5-7, but I think that we're only 1-2 players away from have a WAY better record.

Going against Clemson, FSU and VT every year isn't an easy walk, either.

I'm sure this has been asked 1,000x, but I wonder if we will steal anyone from BC. They usually have 2-3 really highly touted recruits, and I know our record was 5-7, but I think that we're only 1-2 players away from have a WAY better record.
They have 4-5 really solid recruits, mostly OL

Two things about Addazio...first, no former P5 head coach is joining this staff as a position coach. Put down the kool-aid.

Second, what an Addazio would bring here that is becoming obvious...a coach with NE recruiting ties. This staff is missing that and it is felt. Dino needs to plug that hole.

Did they give up their membership in the P5? A position coach? For their HEAD COACH???

Maybe the Don Bosco HC would be interested. :rolleyes:
Wasn't Frank Maloney a position coach at Mich?

Addazio will end up working for Urban Meyer in some capacity.

That game was played in 2004, 3 years after Brees graduated. But you were there...

Sure thing, my bad senior Orton looked like Brees so forgive me. I can still hear a certain Chicago Alum belting out "You know what you gotta do Jake" from behind us when it was 40something to zip (as Jake Crouthamel was on the sidelines at the road opener) and I can tell you W. Lafayette is a great town to tailgate in and locals apologized to us for the beating while we got breakfast the next day.

Kansas was their Purdue in the above Addazio Pasqualoni parallels.

Can we get back to my Diamond Ferri refrence and the suck our "rivals" will surely soon face?

I always liked Addazio as BC coach- thought he was under appreciated. Tough place to win & those fans of theirs who want constant Flutie-era records, will likely be disappointed moving forward. His run game and defense were always solid, albeit a little boring.
If he and Dino can work something out, and i certainly have no idea of their relationship status, I’d be ecstatic if he consulted or joined SU staff.