BC Irrelevancy | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

BC Irrelevancy

Try to get a ticket for a Rangers' game and don't forget the rabid fans in St. Louis or Nashville.

My point is there are plenty of US markets where hockey thrives. The fan bases, while not as large as the NFL or MLB, are very, very loyal and support their teams.

I am in Chicago, trust me, the Blackhawks are a wee bit popular here too!

Maybe.

Greasy Greg was a good recruiter. He worked at RU because A) he got lucky w/ Ray Rice + surprisingly good OL in the same year, and B) he moved RU from recruiting nobodies to recruiting solid players.

BC doesn't have the same problem that RU had, as the Eagles have had decent/good recruiting classes. I'm sure Greasy would improve them, but I think that the gains would be a lot smaller. He's not a good X's and O's guy. He's more in line w/ his mentor in that he's good at recruiting, cheating, and looking the other way.

C) Schiano came to Rutgers as Gerg was destroying SU. fortuitous timing for him.

Alsacs mentioned Chicago in the post I responded to. That's why I didn't mention them.

Obviously, the Blackhawks are one of the most popular/iconic franchises in the NHL.

Maybe i'm just becoming eternally realistic but I see no scenario (absent a dream 1987 season) where the national ranking of the conference will be determinant of us having a successful season. The reason I was frustrated with the Big East was that it was going to be steamrolled w conference realignment and we were fighting for our existence. That existence was getting into a conference that would survive expansion. We won, thank the heavens. Ironic at the time, only Jim Boeheim pissed in the cheerios of this move b/c he knew his basketball team was going to lose its cultural/geographical footing in the Big East. They weathered the storm b/c they are a top 10 program. The hoops team could be put into the Pac 10 and would be successful to some extent.

Now that we have the money, the conference and I guess the non mocking nature of being with the ACC teams, I want to see it tailored to Syracuse's best interest which is playing teams that are more Syracuse-like. I don't care that Clemson and FSU has won the National Title. It doesn't move the needle for Syracuse at all or me. I'd rather us have all this money, be in the division with our conference peers and see us squeeze out our 8-10 win seasons again. Again, that's the pragmatist of Syracuse football speaking. I won't begrudge anyone who has loftier expectations.

There is no one without the other. The reason we get the TV money we do is by being in a conference that competes at the highest level. If we split the divisions more geographically based we'd still end up with games vs southern powers.

I do agree the divisions could be more balanced. But I get the impression the powers that be both in the conference office and in Tallahassee and Clemson like to have us on the schedule.

The best solution is to scrap the divisions and move to a pod system. Then we play everyone more over 3 years, but BC and PITT every year.

Northeast football after expansion is like Germany after WWII, chopped up by occupying foreign powers.
The Northeast at least has emerging power UMass. What is their record? I heard they were going to win a lot of games this year.

The Northeast at least has emerging power UMass. What is their record? I heard they were going to win a lot of games this year.

4-0, baby! Oops, they lost a game to Old Dominion last week to make them the only 0-3 team in the country.

Alsacs mentioned Chicago in the post I responded to. That's why I didn't mention them.

Obviously, the Blackhawks are one of the most popular/iconic franchises in the NHL.

Oh yeah I was mentioning them in reference to the original comment about Boston and hockey, you obviously know the deal

Bc suffers because no one cares. Until the patriots suck, for years on end, they probably won't. As far as local rivalries, they are trying. 3 college games at Fenway, this year. The biggest draw, probably BC/UConn. "Ohh yeah, BC has a football team."

BC very much considers cuse it's biggest rival. There's a sign in the facility counting down the days to Syracuse...

At least the bean pot(college hockey tournament), gets air time. Big Hockey fan base, but folks don't care about bc football when they're #2... If that happened in cuse? It would be insane...

I get your local rivalry points, but it seems like you could schedule some of those in. Clemson/FSU may not move the needle much for you, but it does for me... I actually watch bc when they are going up against FSU, or Miami(yeah, because I remember the hail flutie...probably the only thing folks in Boston can tell you about bc football)

I like the loftier expectations...

People at Pitt were pretty excited about their team last year. Beating Clemson was probably fun.

I think we're so beat down, we forget what winning can do to juice the community/fans. Like it's not possible to beat Clemson? PITT did it with a pretty crappy D last year.

Also, I think people in Boston are probably meh on BC because they play boring, losing meathead football not because they don't play Rutgers anymore

Also, I think people in Boston are probably meh on BC because they play boring, losing meathead football not because they don't play Rutgers anymore
BC could be top 5 and the locals wouldn't care.
Boston is a pro sports town.

BC could be top 5 and the locals wouldn't care.
Boston is a pro sports town.

Yeah, that too. But Pitt is every bit a sports town and when the are losing they get similar treatment. I was thinking more the alumni/students fanbase similar to ours. (I do think we get way more local support, even now - and being in a "college city" helps).

Makes complete sense to me. It's a bad thing for Syracuse because no matter how much we like to mock him, he will turn them around.

he'll get talent in their at rutgirls expense, as we wouldn't recruit many of the same kids. not so sure how relevant he'd make them though.

Makes complete sense to me. It's a bad thing for Syracuse because no matter how much we like to mock him, he will turn them around.

Eh. He might upgrade their talent some, but he'll keep them playing meathead ball and he's not a good gameday coach. Scheduling 4 scrub team and winning a couple conference games in a much weaker league than the ACC, doesn't have me all that impressed or worried.

Eh. He might upgrade their talent some, but he'll keep them playing meathead ball and he's not a good gameday coach. Scheduling 4 scrub team and winning a couple conference games in a much weaker league than the ACC, doesn't have me all that impressed or worried.

That's the Addazzio plan

4-0, baby! Oops, they lost a game to Old Dominion last week to make them the only 0-3 team in the country.

It's not their fault. They didn't know... that someone jinxed them.

BC doesn't matter because Boston has so many pro options.
The Patriots are gods.
The Red Sox are relevant.
The Celtics are popular.
Boston is one of the few US markets where hockey matters.

Plus BC isn't a state school and there's no local pride like there is in Syracuse for the Orange.
Boston has like 30 colleges within a 20 mile radius there so many different alumni from different schools that BC will never matter in the city.

BC has undefeated in 2007 for 8 games and was number 2 they didn't matter.

Boston is such a bandwagon sports city. I still remember when the Patriots were brutal in late 80's and lots of chatter that they couldn't last in Boston (not when they almost move to CT in late 90's). Stands were empty and nobody cared. The Red Sox have always been popular. Boston sports fans are the absolute worst.

Boston is such a bandwagon sports city. I still remember when the Patriots were brutal in late 80's and lots of chatter that they couldn't last in Boston (not when they almost move to CT in late 90's). Stands were empty and nobody cared. The Red Sox have always been popular. Boston sports fans are the absolute worst.
The Patriots were awful awful from 88-92.

The team was competitive in the late 70s thru mid 80s.

It's not a bandwagon town. It's a town that demands being competitive. They won't tolerate losing without trying to improve.

The move to CT was all about $$$.
Boston and the state of MA doesn't give billionaires State money to build stadiums.
Hartford was going to build Kraft a football stadium so he talked with them. That deal had nothing to do with the attendance in Foxboro.

Since Kraft bought the team in 1993 and Parcells started the rebuild every game has been sold out and the season ticket waiting lists tens of thousands deep. This is before Belichick/Brady.

The owner before Kraft wanted to sell the team. Football was going to be in the Boston area even they moved and got an expansion team.

BC doesn't matter because Boston has so many pro options.
The Patriots are gods.
The Red Sox are relevant.
The Celtics are popular.
Boston is one of the few US markets where hockey matters.

Plus BC isn't a state school and there's no local pride like there is in Syracuse for the Orange.
Boston has like 30 colleges within a 20 mile radius there so many different alumni from different schools that BC will never matter in the city.

BC has undefeated in 2007 for 8 games and was number 2 they didn't matter.

What BC needs is a new marketing campaign . . . a new brand, like Boston's College Team or perhaps we should think bigger, New England's College Team.

All kidding aside, perhaps BC needs to market students from the other schools to become interested in the city's only P5 program. Offer substantially reduced tickets to any local college student. Try to target those schools with students that will likely stay in the region so as to create lifelong fans.

To be fair, I have attended three universities, all of which were in a P5 conference, so I have no idea how well student attendance is at smaller schools' games, which potentially would be affected. If this plan "stole" student attendance from the smaller schools, I could see where it could cause political issues.

BC and Rutgers stinking up the place and if SU can beat Pitt and start to show some potential...things could get a lot better. This thing in the northeast is there for the taking...got to go out and take it.
It's been like this for almost a decade, and it kills me that we haven't fully risen to the challenge yet.

Opportunity is definitely knocking.

What BC needs is a new marketing campaign . . . a new brand, like Boston's College Team or perhaps we should think bigger, New England's College Team.

All kidding aside, perhaps BC needs to market students from the other schools to become interested in the city's only P5 program. Offer substantially reduced tickets to any local college student. Try to target those schools with students that will likely stay in the region so as to create lifelong fans.

To be fair, I have attended three universities, all of which were in a P5 conference, so I have no idea how well student attendance is at smaller schools' games, which potentially would be affected. If this plan "stole" student attendance from the smaller schools, I could see where it could cause political issues.
I don't see it happening. I don't know if I've ever seen a bc highlight, or score on the news. Don't recall ever hearing a bc football score on the radio. Maybe others have, but I haven't. No one cares. They're given as much coverage as a AA/AAA baseball farm team...

If you call great defense, "meathead" football, than call me a meathead. In the 90's my friends and I never missed a Tampa game, went to some games- as Patriots fans... When bc has a great def? Whatever. It's no fun to root alone.

It helps that they started winning. Couldn't get 10K to the United Center a decade ago.

C) Schiano came to Rutgers as Gerg was destroying SU. fortuitous timing for him.
Good point.

It's astonishing how much damage Greg did.

He may honestly be the worst AQ/P5 coach of all time ... at any school.

This is for a different day on a different thread, but the above post got me thinking...

UConn fans think that they got it bad w/ Coach P. I wonder what Greg would have done if he was hired at UConn. He makes late years Coach P look like a HoFer.