BC Irrelevancy | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

BC Irrelevancy

Their defense played strong against ODU but their best offensive player, NFL prospect TE Brennan was out. There is still some chance they can turn it around this season.

You're entering that rarefied air, reserved for a Rutgers Al or a Super Purple Cat (you'll really need to step up the humor to catch that one).

I'm curious as to why you think Butgers/Uconn are our peers? I understand why NC ST and Clemson are not. Are you basing it just on being in the NE? I would view BC/Miami/WFmore as peers as they are private schools and not public. Boeheim is always reluctant to change and Jake was a dinosaur.

Geography especially if you live in the NYC metro area where you'll likely work with BC, Nova, UConn, Georgetown and Rutgers alum; three of which I currently do. I've never met anyone who went to NC State or Clemson.

We still play lots of the same teams we did. I miss the (throw up a little) WVU rivalry. But Rutgers? No. Temple? Really?

If we were winning games like Louisville (also a relative newcomer) we'd feel more like we belong. Joining a new conference and struggling snowballs to an extent.

Also, I think people in Boston are probably meh on BC because they play boring, losing meathead football not because they don't play Rutgers anymore

Fyi, as you may not have seen them this year but they are playing "fast" now too. Actually, through 2 games (small sample size), they are playing faster offensively than Cuse on a plays per minute basis.

Just throwing it out there as they've been the anti-Babers example of offense most used on this forum.

We still play lots of the same teams we did. I miss the (throw up a little) WVU rivalry. But Rutgers? No. Temple? Really?

If we were winning games like Louisville (also a relative newcomer) we'd feel more like we belong. Joining a new conference and struggling snowballs to an extent.

Agreed on the latter point. We're not only isolated but irrelevant as well. It's a toxic combination.

I feel much more connected to ACC hoops and that has a lot to do with beating most of the teams in the conference since we joined.

All that being said, we had to join the ACC for all the reasons that have been stated. But it sucks the northeast could never get its act together and form a viable conference. Somewhere there's a universe where a core of football playing school joined up with the best hoops schools and we ended up in a lucrative, stable, geographically logical league.

Lastly, BC has almost never been relevant in Boston. Outside of Flutie's senior year no one has ever really cared. And I say that as someone who grew up a big BC fan.

It's fair to say that a lot more people in New England care about college hockey than BC.

Somewhere there's a universe where a core of football playing school joined up with the best hoops schools and we ended up in a lucrative, stable, geographically logical league.
upload_2017-9-14_19-24-35.png

You're entering that rarefied air, reserved for a Rutgers Al or a Super Purple Cat (you'll really need to step up the humor to catch that one).
Maybe I'll change my name to the Cusemoose, that seems like a logical place to start and then build from there. Like David Letterman's old pyramid of comedy schtick.

Scott O

Senior
Contact Scott O
Re: Game 4 (2017) Temple

Post by Scott O » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:58 am

Temple is 14.5 point favorites. This is the game UMass finally clicks and turns it around. UMass 34 Temple 24. Book it.
Whiskey-stained buck-toothed backwoods creep
Grizzly bear motherf-er never goes to sleep ( This guy is profound on the UMASS board).

All kidding aside, perhaps BC needs to market students from the other schools to become interested in the city's only P5 program. Offer substantially reduced tickets to any local college student. Try to target those schools with students that will likely stay in the region so as to create lifelong fans.
From an outsiders perspective this is actually a great idea. Do we know if SU tries anything like this with all of the local colleges in the area? I think there a ton of kids who have grown up in the Syracuse area that attend OCC or a SUNY school within an hour and a half of the city. It might be a way to get some more people in the seats and to create a generation of new fans if the program is able to turn things around in the next couple of years.

There are 52 institutions of higher learning in the Boston Metro... Some of those canned their own football programs, because their own students didn't care.. In Boston, the culture is different, but I could see it working in Syracuse.

I know a lot of you guys are watching the UMASS/Temple game to get material to bash Cusemoose with. Not gonna happen.

I know a lot of you guys are watching the UMASS/Temple game to get material to bash Cusemoose with. Not gonna happen.

Cusemoose is way more self-depreciating. Harder to pick on, lol.

I did just flip over from USF-Illinois. Looks like the Philadelphia Eagles shall defeat the New England Patriots on this night.

From an outsiders perspective this is actually a great idea. Do we know if SU tries anything like this with all of the local colleges in the area? I think there a ton of kids who have grown up in the Syracuse area that attend OCC or a SUNY school within an hour and a half of the city. It might be a way to get some more people in the seats and to create a generation of new fans if the program is able to turn things around in the next couple of years.
I think SU should absolutely do that. Give them a student rate on season tickets and set up a section of students from other schools. Those kids are more likely to tailgate, stay in the area after graduation, and become future season ticket holders.

I hardly went to football games until after I graduated and started tailgating and going to games with friends. Tailgating is a huge part of the football experience, and one of the few negatives about the Dome being in the middle of campus is that SU students don't tailgate. I love Syracuse football more than any other sports team but if I didn't have the tailgate to look forward to, it would be a lot tougher for me to drag myself to a late October game when we're like 3-6.

Appreciate your tenacity, but I think you're going to need a different windmill to tilt...

Shantydaze. I wouldn't mind UConn in the ACC, either... A little Big East throw back, with ACC $$, could be good for Cuse/BC/Uconn. (In 2015, Uconn ranked 44 in merchandise sales to BC 58, Cuse 32... I think the $$$/potential is there)

Last edited:
Appreciate your tenacity, but I think you're going to need a different windmill to tilt...

Shantydaze. I wouldn't mind UConn in the ACC, either... A little Big East throw back, with ACC $$, could be good for Cuse/BC/Uconn. (In 2015, Uconn ranked 44 in merchandise sales to BC 58, Cuse 32... I think the $$$/potential is there)
I love going to away games and I would love another conference game that's drivable. I went to the UMD game a couple years ago and UConn last year and had a blast both times. I was always anti UConn in the ACC but if we could get them and ND to join with UConn in our division, I would actually be pleased. I wanted the ACC to do better (like Texas) but what good does that actually do us? The ACC is on solid ground and I would love another northeastern team to join the league now that we don't have that Maryland game.

The B1G added Rutgers not because they bring anything to the athletic table but because NJ has a large population in the New York/Philadelphia media market and there are great recruiting areas in that region. UMASS fulfills that same criteria in the NY/Boston market, I don't believe UCONN does that.

The B1G added Rutgers not because they bring anything to the athletic table but because NJ has a large population in the New York/Philadelphia media market and there are great recruiting areas in that region. UMASS fulfills that same criteria in the NY/Boston market, I don't believe UCONN does that.

Logically they add nothing but in my own perfect world I want to play uconn, Rutgers yearly. Those games were always needle movers for fans in the recent "we can't win 8 games per year" era.

I'd be fine if Rutgers was our only p5 opponent yearly if we r gonna play Clemson/FSU yearly.

Logically they add nothing but in my own perfect world I want to play uconn, Rutgers yearly. Those games were always needle movers for fans in the recent "we can't win 8 games per year" era.

I'd be fine if Rutgers was our only p5 opponent yearly if we r gonna play Clemson/FSU yearly.
The B1G won't do anything for Syracuse football. I think Delaney is still miffed that SU went to the ACC. So, I feel there is some don't give SU the time of day thing going on amongst there AD's. Just the feeling I get.

To get back to your original thought about BC irrelevancy. BC is the only P5 team in New England and they have virtually no hold on it at all. I would think that the B1G does analysis on possible expansion areas and if I were them, I would think that it would be a large, wealthy and easy market to take over. There is no other region of the country like that which isn't locked down by a P5 conference.

The B1G won't do anything for Syracuse football. I think Delaney is still miffed that SU went to the ACC. So, I feel there is some don't give SU the time of day thing going on amongst there AD's. Just the feeling I get.

Apparently not all of their ADs as Wisconsin just scheduled a home and home with SU.

The Irish Catholics have their blood boiling! Talk of the supermarket as they were doing their tailgate shopping. They'll probably get a good crowd, but it will be the only time this season.

BC doesn't matter because Boston has so many pro options.
The Patriots are gods.
The Red Sox are relevant.
The Celtics are popular.
Boston is one of the few US markets where hockey matters.

Plus BC isn't a state school and there's no local pride like there is in Syracuse for the Orange.
Boston has like 30 colleges within a 20 mile radius there so many different alumni from different schools that BC will never matter in the city.

BC has undefeated in 2007 for 8 games and was number 2 they didn't matter.

I lived in Boston in the 2000's decade and found that people who didn't go to BC really hate BC alums. A paraphrased quote from an early Barstool sports article from 2003 (when it was an actual weekly paper) about BC delusion goes as follows: "they think they are Harvard academically, Notre Dame in football, and Syracuse in basketball".

The B10 added RU because PSU told them to, and they threatened to join the ACC if the conference didn't cave to their demands.

PSU wants more exposure in that area for donations and recruiting, and they don't want to burn an OOC football game to get it. It's easier/better just to play a B1G team less, and honestly, what does PSU get out of games against teams like Illinois?

Last edited: