BC may have blocked UConn to the ACC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

BC may have blocked UConn to the ACC

Don't think BC will bulge unless the ACC forces them too, but right now the ACC doesn't need 16. Also, you gotta think Donna Schala won't forget the lawsuit. That is 2 NO votes are there 2 other to prevent them?

Is that what the rule is in the ACC? 75%?

Like others have already said in this thread, I don't see the ACC expanding without giving ND every opportunity to get one of those last 2 spots. And since the most current mad-dash to 16 was once again stalled due to Texas' ego, this could go on for a few more years.

Cheers,
Neil

If BC did block UConn, that means UConn was in play. So they could have been ahead of us in the pecking order. Maybe we we have something to thank BC (and Miami?) for.

dont be stupid.

that was for them as 15 or 16.

they were never ahead of SU.

its a freakin cow college for crying out loud!!!

:bat:

:rolling:

dont be stupid.

that was for them as 15 or 16.

they were never ahead of SU.

:bat:

:rolling:
My stupidity has nothing to do with it. I'm just your basic, paranoid SU fan!

"You're just saying that because the president of our college is a cow!"

lenny.gif

BC may not want UConn in the ACC, but I don't think they have that kind of juice.

Forget football.

Who in ACC hoop is secure enough to bring in a 3 time NCAA hoop winner, who won last year, with all the great NBA players. U Conn could repeat in 11-12. Add the UConn women and its tough to think big picture.

In the big pic, tough for ACC admin to resist adding such a hoop power to ACC, but they arent voting

They were cheaters. That Kemba Walker title is probably going to be revoked at some point.

Funny how I remember CTO chastising the board that we should feel bad for the way Kemba Walker's season ended the year before he went out carried UConn to the championship.

My experience with the Irish --- and Healy is Irish -- is that they aren't real big on "letting bygones be bygones" Irish Alzheimers is where you forget everything but the grudges.

As my grandmother from Ireland used to say "We are the world's best haters"

What's the likelihood that if the ACC wants UConn that BC has enough pull to stop it?

I don't see the ACC inviting UConn anytime soon, unless there is a reason to (ND addition, Big Ten adds teams, etc). But to think that BC can actually "block" UConn is silly. Duke & UNC couldn't block expansion in 2003 (they could F it up, but not block it!).

Yeah, I agree with this and I also wonder why BC (or the Cuse for that matter) wouldn't want UConn in the newly formed ACC. Competition and quality programs make for compelling matchups and rivalries. Those are good things for conferences on basically every level. Do you get hurt if someone is recruiting in your backyard and/or splitting your fan base? I suppose. But I don't see Uconn hoops withering away due to this move and I definitely don't see BC tearing it up at UConn's expense, regardless of what happens.

I think it's the same thing with Cuse and RU. Yes, RU has had some success at SU's expense but that was also partly due to the Cuse having a dysfunctional program (whether you want to blame it on Jake, Buzz, P and/or GRob is up to you). A solid RU with a solid following really can only help the Cuse, IMO.

I think it would be shortsighted and not ultimately that much of an advantage to willingly leave RU and UConn behind. Just my opinion and I realize it could happen, but I just don't think it would be anywhere near the benefit to SU people think it would.

My experience with the Irish --- and Healy is Irish -- is that they aren't real big on "letting bygones be bygones" Irish Alzheimers is where you forget everything but the grudges.

As my grandmother from Ireland used to say "We are the world's best haters"

And the world's best drinkers, story tellers and among the world's best (or most prolific) fighters.

We're the reason God invented whiskey ... So the Irish wouldn't ...

and south carolina may have blocked uconns entry into the SEC. damn those gamecock blockers

Agree that holding out for ND is the strategy, at least for the time being. Since none of the other potential superconferences are at 16 or look like they are goin there any time soon there is no rush. It is pretty apparant that the jump from 14 to 16 wo ND can be done at any time. I would view UConn as the next best available school out there in the geographical area, but they have nowhere near the clout of the Irish, and if we eventually lost them it would be no big deal.

There is simply no reason to go past 14 at this time.
screw ND. what coast? they're midwest at best. uconn will join us. wait and see.

I would love to have Uconn and Rutgers in the ACC with us as long as it is like this
Syracuse......Rutgers
BC......Uconn
VT......VA
Miami...FSU
NCST...NC
Wake...Duke
Maryland.....Pitt
GT......Clemson

Dont want them in our division but would like to have Rutgers as our rival so once a year we can remind NYC/NJ kids why syracuse is a better choice:) All those would seem like compelling rivalry matchups neither division is to top heavy. The ACC would have the east coast on lock down like the PAC has the west coast.

I guess i do have a fear of Rutgers going to the B1G and the effect that could have on our recruiting. Having Penn st, Ohio st, Michigan, Michigan st, Wisconsin, Nebraska rolling into Jersey might be great points to sell to recruits. Plus the first 4 seem to have a good to great following in NY/NJ so that could help them sell more tickets. Also if Notre Dame by some chance joins the B1G they have a great following in that area and i am sure if ND joins the B1G that might become one of their requests to add rutgers for that market. B1G $$ plus some bonus internal revenue they could prolly give a great boost to there facility's.

I guess i believe in the old saying keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

BC should block uconn as they overlap with the same market. The rutgers young alumni do not care about rutgers in NYC. The acc should add ND and Penn state even if it takes years of waiting. 7 team divisions will work out quite nicely.
But the only way to get those two teams is to have an ACC network like the big ten network. The acc network covers more people I think already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on?
The fact that there were major NCAA violations against UConn announced last year. Did you somehow miss that?

The fact that there were major NCAA violations against UConn announced last year. Did you somehow miss that?

None of which involved the current players, Matt.

The acc should add ND and Penn state even if it takes years of waiting. 7 team divisions will work out quite nicely.
But the only way to get those two teams is to have an ACC network like the big ten network. The acc network covers more people I think already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSU will never leave the B1G. All this talk about it is wasted breath/ink/pixels.

Agreed. BC does not have the juice to block UCONN by its lonesome. For whatever reason, we were ahead of them in the pecking order. Could have been the fact that both Pitt and SU were unanimous choices and Rutgers and UCONN has some opposition. Could have been the better brand names of Syracuse and Pitt. Could have been other factors.

I think SU and Pitt were a no-brainer since if a league is considering a northeastern "strategy", the states a conference has to have represented are New York, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts.

The pertinent question for Rutgers and UConn is, IF there is only room for one of them, what is the next best state for the ACC to have? New Jersey - which reinforces NY and PA? Or Connecticut - which helps reinforce MA and NY?

Population wise it's NJ hands down. Income wise, it's CT. Does having the states of Maryland and Virginia help UConn at all, since the ACC would still have 4 of the 6 mid-Atlantic states?

If it comes down to just one of them, my heart says it should be UConn, but my head thinks it just might be Rutgers.

Cheers,
Neil

Does anyone have any idea who Calhoun's eventual repalcement might be @ UConn? I would miss the 'Cuse/UConn b-ball rivalry but by the time that 'Cuse begins ACC play in a couple of years, how much longer will Calhoun be the UConn coach (combination of age, health and pending NCAA penalties)? When JB retires from 'Cuse, I am sure that no matter who his successor is - Hop or anyone else - 'Cuse will still continue to have a strong b-ball program, but can the same be expected of UConn? I am beginning to think that neither UConn nor Rutgers makes sense for the ACC - they need to improve the f-ball caliber, not b-ball. Neither Rutgers nor UConn make sense for b-ball unless Calhoun is replaced by a HOF-caliber coach, and neither one makes any sense for f-ball.