BC Postgame Thoughts | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

BC Postgame Thoughts

We are going to go like 19-12 and if we win a game or two in DC we will play in the first four and beat Arizona St or something. We will get our teeth kicked in on the road against any team with a pulse, win games as a favorite at home and maybe spring an upset or two.

The stuff happening on the court can be erratic but the team as a whole is very predictable.
Also, the team is very enjoyable to watch. Unless we’re getting the crap kicked out of us. I know they’re not good, but sometimes they have such great moves, especially Q and Maliq. It was so good that we managed to win that game. Good for their mindset that we CAN win and come back after falling asleep.

But please please stop falling asleep!

Most importantly, we held on and avoided what would have been a really bad loss.

We started off the game about as well as could be with the 3s by Bell and Taylor. The defensive effort in the first half was as good as I've seen this year. Tons of tipped balls, jumping pass lanes, rallying to loose balls. However, we couldn't capitalize to the extent we should have. Add in that debacle to end the half (again, I've been saying this for several years, stuff like that just can't happen. ever), and we clearly should have been up more.

2nd half started off pretty well, but there was about a 7 (or so) minute stretch where BC started hitting some threes (props to them for running some good action too), and attacked the glass and paint. Meanwhile, our offense was completely nonexistent. Not sure how that happens, but it's got to get cleaned up. There was nothing special that BC was doing that I could see. Next thing we know, we are down 1. Was setting up a disastrous night.

Obviously, the playmaking between Q and Maliq pulled this game out. Post was totally a non-factor in the game on offense for BC, largely because of Maliq (and his own foul trouble, too). The shots Bell made late were huge. Speaking of that-- Red waited too long to put Bell back in over Benny. Should have happened several minutes early. YES he was struggling on D but we clearly needed someone who could make a shot.

Benny had a rough game, minutes a couple nice defensive plays. Offense was bad. I thought Taylor had an extremely up and down game. The first shot going in was a big positive. Then he took some strange mid-range ones. Had a nice finish at the rim. Then some very good defensive moments, and then opposite. Rollercoaster for sure. He is a solid rebounder, but he doesn't have close to a shooter's touch.

Judah was eh. Too many forces and then not enough effort on D at times. Those are often related. Did draw some important fouls late. JJ hit a mid ranger. Don't remember much else.

Oh and the 2nd most important thing-- my buddy was the one who did the shooting challenge in the first half! He was a few inches from nailing that half court shot. I was cheering loudly from 213 and took a video for him. I wish he was able to get more than 1 shot up but he was sort of stalled before his attempt.

Pretty cool. Nice to have people out there that have actually dribbled a basketball in the last 30 years, if ever.

Maybe, maybe not. There are clearly shooting issues, luckily that's only one part of the game.

Unfortunately against top 25 teams its a major part of the game. It's why against every top 25 squad the score has ended lopsided, offensively we simply can't keep up. Team has to try and develop a secondary shooter or get Westry on the court.

[/QUOTE]
Its crazy that we are so disruptive on D and get the steals we do without guys getting into foul trouble.
when we’re not getting steals we’re out of position and give up too many easy looks. Defense overall is very much a work in progress.

We are going to go like 19-12 and if we win a game or two in DC we will play in the first four and beat Arizona St or something. We will get our teeth kicked in on the road against any team with a pulse, win games as a favorite at home and maybe spring an upset or two.

The stuff happening on the court can be erratic but the team as a whole is very predictable.
Couldn’t agree more. No good wins out there apart from the UNC games and I think they are as bad a matchup as any of the teams that blew us out.

Louisville got a road win against preseason top 10-15 Miami so I guess everyone can pull upsets other than us. Still think we end with a solid 13-7 ACC record and I agree that Red probably coaches his ass off to sneak us into one of the last spots. Itll be nice to go into the conference tournament not expecting to lose the first game.

The free throw and turnover disparity alone would lead one to believe this would be a blow out. Well it was then it wasn’t? Why not? Offensive rebounds by BC. Say what you want about Benny , with ALL his warts , when he’s out there, the BS offensive rebounds BC was getting stopped. Stats need to be interpreted with a degree of context. If you just stand under the bucket all game on the defensive end, you’re just going to end up with a number of boards by being a human of a certain size in a certain location. Doesn’t make you a good rebounder .

Last edited:
Couldn’t agree more. No good wins out there apart from the UNC games and I think they are as bad a matchup as any of the teams that blew us out.

Louisville got a road win against preseason top 10-15 Miami so I guess everyone can pull upsets other than us. Still think we end with a solid 13-7 ACC record and I agree that Red probably coaches his ass off to sneak us into one of the last spots. Itll be nice to go into the conference tournament not expecting to lose the first game.
That cards win is a huge loss for the entire ACC. A victory over the cards will still mean nothing and now a win over Miami is worth less

Most importantly, we held on and avoided what would have been a really bad loss.

We started off the game about as well as could be with the 3s by Bell and Taylor. The defensive effort in the first half was as good as I've seen this year. Tons of tipped balls, jumping pass lanes, rallying to loose balls. However, we couldn't capitalize to the extent we should have. Add in that debacle to end the half (again, I've been saying this for several years, stuff like that just can't happen. ever), and we clearly should have been up more.

2nd half started off pretty well, but there was about a 7 (or so) minute stretch where BC started hitting some threes (props to them for running some good action too), and attacked the glass and paint. Meanwhile, our offense was completely nonexistent. Not sure how that happens, but it's got to get cleaned up. There was nothing special that BC was doing that I could see. Next thing we know, we are down 1. Was setting up a disastrous night.

Obviously, the playmaking between Q and Maliq pulled this game out. Post was totally a non-factor in the game on offense for BC, largely because of Maliq (and his own foul trouble, too). The shots Bell made late were huge. Speaking of that-- Red waited too long to put Bell back in over Benny. Should have happened several minutes early. YES he was struggling on D but we clearly needed someone who could make a shot.

Benny had a rough game, minutes a couple nice defensive plays. Offense was bad. I thought Taylor had an extremely up and down game. The first shot going in was a big positive. Then he took some strange mid-range ones. Had a nice finish at the rim. Then some very good defensive moments, and then opposite. Rollercoaster for sure. He is a solid rebounder, but he doesn't have close to a shooter's touch.

Judah was eh. Too many forces and then not enough effort on D at times. Those are often related. Did draw some important fouls late. JJ hit a mid ranger. Don't remember much else.
Taylor having an up and down game is being generous. There were ups and downs . But not an equal number of them

Last edited:
I agree but watching him on defense and half the time on offense is so damn frustrating!!!!
I thought he gad a really good defensive game. He played hard.

I like to see this from Red. no special treatment.
Agree. That was one thing I wasn't on the same page as JB, who was of the philosophy that he didn't like these kind of punishments because they hurt your teammates also. (And I'm not making that up. He said it in his book.) But to me that's the whole point. You have to learn to be accountable because your decisions can impact other people.

Taylor can’t guard Ingram on Saturday. I worry about Brown being in foul trouble. We have no one who can guard Davis either. I guy like Tremble will probably go off on Saturday. This could get ugly early. I’m not sure where any roads wins are coming.

I would have bet everything I own Taylor had more than 7 rebounds.

but we’re a mess of a team, we need to enjoy and be thankful for wins when we get them. We’re going to get “schemed” into many losses because we can’t shoot

Post ran Brown over once, and had his arm around his neck another with no whistle.
Never saw anything like that before with no whistle-
Absolute Bulldozer job -kept going and going for at least 10' into the paint.
That was early 1st half -raised concern that Post had a License To Kill.
Good thing Maliq has a cool head -I'd have lost it!

I noticed Copeland not taking any threes even if wide open. I think his decision making is getting better. He'll eventually improve at jump shooting. He did participate in the three point contest in Rochester madness, which was surprising.

I would have bet everything I own Taylor had more than 7 rebounds.

but we’re a mess of a team, we need to enjoy and be thankful for wins when we get them. We’re going to get “schemed” into many losses because we can’t shoot
We needed our 2 best rebounders (Maliq 8, Taylor 7) to just match McGlocton (14). Dilemma for Red when Taylor is laying bricks on his shot

I can't believe Red actually benched JJ at the end of the game. He wasn't even looking at the basket last night. He was just out there. Just when everyone thought he was out of his early season funk the last few games have been a big step back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom