BC Postgame Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

BC Postgame Thoughts

Good start building that lead, BC made a run and we absolutely cratered. As bad as you can crater. Disappointing.

Defensive communication in this one for most of the game was incredibly poor, both on help defense at the rim and hedging/switching screens up top.

Forced 21 turnovers, but BC shot 60%.

The run in the 2nd half where we showed some heart was nice for a little bit, but a couple of big swings put the dagger in it.

Bottom line— pretty clear who we are. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to end up exactly 10-10 in the conference.

Exclusively playing 2-3 zone on out of bounds plays and not trying to get offensive rebounds on most free throws got me feeling like ...

IMG_5286.jpeg

Good start building that lead, BC made a run and we absolutely cratered. As bad as you can crater. Disappointing.

Defensive communication in this one for most of the game was incredibly poor, both on help defense at the rim and hedging/switching screens up top.

The run in the 2nd half where we showed some heart was nice for a little bit, but a couple of big swings put the dagger in it.

Bottom line— pretty clear who we are. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to end up exactly 10-10 in the conference.
I think that is exactly what we are 10-10 is a at best, average conference.

Inexcusable loss, excuses will fly but this was a horribly coached and played game with about 6 minutes of competent basketball that we instantly went away from after BC hit a 3

What I wrote in the game thread:

Our team is incomplete and the few players that have been, within reason, consistently relied upon this season are hitting a wall. Happened in the fsu game. Happened this game. Going to keep happening.

We don’t have enough dudes. And we are running the guys that have been here from day one into the ground.

Here’s what I’ll add: Red still needs to grow as a head coach. Totally fine. But where he is with who we have is just not going to get it done this year.

Rotation has to be complete next year. Red has to keep getting better.

It’s been a rough few years for us. I just want the program to be elite again. Have to believe Red knows what’s expected of him and will shakeup the roster next year, especially if we miss the tournament. It’s nothing personal against our players, there are just too many guys on this roster who are severely limited. Red will feel some pressure to get us back next year.

Poor use of limited resources by the coach. At least one of the starting forwards needs to start on the bench (and stay there). And stop the 2-3 zone out of bounds, especially when you are playing a team for the second time.

Guarding the guy who kept making threes would have been appreciated. Oh, and free throws.

Happy that Brown owns Post and will be in his nightmares forever.

I cooked dinner tonight. Glad I did.
Sad we lost.
"6-1" "5-2" "10-1"!
nope.

When I was growing up, my mom taught me that if I don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Tonight, I will heed that advice.
They should not have gotten of the plane.

I mean, this is a new team, never played together, mostly sophomores, inexperienced, but they show evidence of being a great combination - if you can't shoot, make threes AND make your foul shots Red has to do something about it. Do something!

Line 'em up tomorrow one group shoots 100 three's, the other 100 foul shots.

I remember a post from when Gerry used to practice - by Chris Carlson 21 years ago:
McNamara began to attack his after-practice shooting sessions with greater intensity. He’d stand at the free-throw line, bounce the ball three times and fire. He’d do it over and over, until he swished nearly every shot.

When the Bishop Hannan gym was occupied by the school’s other teams, he’d trek to another high school, Holy Rosary, and shoot there.

‘You’ve got to shoot them after practice, when your legs are dead,’ McNamara said. ‘I’d just try to make a bunch in a row with dead legs. Ten, 15, whatever I felt like.’

It’s paid off. When McNamara shoots a free throw, he stands stoically at the line, waiting for the ball, so he can begin his three-bounce routine. When he misses, his face flares with disgust.

‘There’s not a thing I hate more than missing a free throw,’ McNamara said. ‘That’s why they call it a free throw. It’s supposed to be free. Missing a free throw is a personal offense.’

It’s been a long time since McNamara’s been offended. He hasn’t missed a free throw since Jan. 13, against Missouri, and is 35 of 35 in Big East play.

A game we could have won but in way deserved to win.. BC shot 60% from the field and 50% from 3. The Cuse 7-14 from the FT line. When a team shoots 47% from the field and gets 21 turnovers they should win. Bad loss.

We cratered on the offensive end. Our bad version of our offensive selves is among the worst Syracuse has fielded.

Poor use of limited resources by the coach. At least one of the starting forwards needs to start on the bench (and stay there). And stop the 2-3 zone out of bounds, especially when you are playing a team for the second time.

Guarding the guy who kept making threes would have been appreciated. Oh, and free throws.

Happy that Brown owns Post and will be in his nightmares forever.

I think Red should have put Carey in the game midway through the 2nd half when Post was out of the game. Carey played well when he was in there and Brown made 3 quick bad plays when we were going for the lead -- ill-advised 3-point attempt from the corner, 2 missed FTs, and a pass to the bench. He needed a few minutes breather.

Sat 5 feet away from the action… Peter Carey was gassed after only playing like 3 minutes lol. But also devastating to watch BC go on a 20-0 run, all missed FTs, all the bad turnovers from so close.

There was one point where Harris was playing defense with one shoe on and no one would pass the ball to the guy he was defending.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom