BC Postgame Thoughts | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

BC Postgame Thoughts

Syracuse primary players, their PER ,(and their ACC Rank out of 80 qualified players) ranks (conference stats only):

1) Maliq Brown, 22.7 (9)
2) Quadir Copeland, 17.8 (27)
3) Judah Mintz, 15.6 (39)
4) Benny Williams, 14.2 (46)
5) JJ Starling, 13.6 (54)
6) Chris Bell, 10.6 (71)
7) Justin Taylor, 3.5 (80)

PER isn't the be all end all of comprehensive stats and it weights forwards a bit more (mostly due to easy dunks and defensive counting stats). But these are not good. We only have three guys (barely) in the top half of the ACC. Three other teams have two guys in the last 10: Miami, Louisville, and Notre Dame.
So much for all the discussion about having the best backcourt in the league. BTW the 2 top guys are Gmac recruits, so maybe he knows what he's doing after all ;).

have to say as a former d3 player (yup I am practically an expert no big deal) when a player is gassed
there's no shame in being "gassed" . to me it means the guy is playing full throttle and not coasting on cruise control. old school rule was when a player put his hands on his knees during a whistle pull him.

Disappointing loss. We need forwards who can do something. Bubble highly unlikely again. Thoughts?
Thoughts?

Collectively, we do get angry after a loss, don't we?

That 21-0 run lasted 6:57 during which we went 0-8 from the field with four turnovers. Ouch.

You cannot let the other team should 60% from the floor and 50% from 3.

Combine the two and surprising we only lost by five.

Thought Q had a helluva game and Starling and Brown played well.

Carey has some skills.

This game totally changed when Maliq went out of the game. He is the most important player on this team. Copeland seems to be the only guy to get him the ball.
Random Musings:
  • I'd like to see Maliq get some touches on the blocks, more so for some inside-out action that might open up some cutting lanes and kick outs for 3. I hate when we have 5 guys 16+ feet from the hoop for 2-3 straight possessions.
  • Cuffe (who I like!) had a horrific 1-on-3 drive that led to a run out and, ultimately, JJ landed on his face 3 seconds later. Bad, bad sequence.
  • I like our defense, we create turnovers at an above-grade rate. That said, I think we have some work to do on the possessions that go the distance (aka straight-up defense). Just need to be a bit more dialed in and perhaps physical. That, I think. will come with some time and a bit more size/athleticism on the front line in the coming year or two.
  • Next step for JJ is to take his A-game on the road and I think that happens soon (next season). Not far off.
  • With 8 minutes left, Maliq's 3rd and 4th missed free throws could've cut the lead to one and were immediately followed by a Harris Jr.'s 3-pointer. That 1-2 punch killed us, unfortunately.
    • Harris' 14 points in less than 4 minutes is wholly unacceptable.
  • This was a missed opportunity, and it might cost us in the end, but we are growing.

I was second row center court myself with my 17 year old son. Great fun.

1. Copeland was the best player for cuse last night. His value is easier to appreciate in person, especially up close when you can hear him conversing with teammates and refs ("I respect that"). But he's just a stud. Quick to stay in front as a defender, too quick to contain with the ball, passes that so few others can make, and a competitive fire. I'm not sure but I think BC run started when he came out. I don't see how he can't start moving forward and I fully expect him to start next year. He's particularly important on the road. I think he really thrives with the fans chatter ("hey quadir you need to shave" "yeah I know"). Even when he missed the dunk he came back with several good plays in a row. Good move by Autry to get him and Benny in quick in second half but he should be starting. I know he may blow next game but his intangibles are off the charts.

2. Bell could not really have played worse. It happens but I wish he could effect game positively when he's not making shots. His defense was poor, dribbling was awful and energy low. Still think he's an important piece but he needs to raise the floor.

3. Benny did some good things. Got into it with post verbally and had good energy, but his defense was poor - both staying in front of opponent on perimeter and not getting overpowered down low. He got some nice boards on both ends but gave up some big buckets.

4. Ive not seen many falls like starlings. Ouch. His shot was off and his overall game was not great but good compete level pretty good d and he seems like good teammate. Very excited to see him next year with freeman, Q and hopefully chance.

5. Malik just lost his confidence at the foul line. It happens to all of us in various sports. Missed 4 in a row at key time and none were even close. But unlike bell his floor is high even on a below average night.

6. Judah did not play well. Post was a problem when he got in lane and some really bad turnovers. Lucky he did not get a T late in first half and a few occasions where he was pouting and out of position. I was on other side but it looked like one time Autry yelled "what the F are you doing??" He almost willed them back and his mid range jumper was impressive at times - just stayed in air longer than expected and knocked it down. Sometimes I watch him and wish his game was tighter like Flynn if that makes sense, but not really a fair comparison I suppose.

7. Taylor is big and strong up close but seems to have lost all confidence with his shot. He passed up a fairly open look late. I did not see that coming last year and thought he would fill the hole from girard fairly well. Also I'm not positive he jells great with others but could easily be dead wrong on that. It's hard to imagine he returns next year.

8. Man we could use another big. Carey was ok (except the airball from 6 feet) but nowhere close to ready nor is hima.

9. A little unlucky BC got so hot from 3. Some of that poor D but some of that just the roll of the dice. Home crowd was really pathetic. Cuse crowd was ready to take over but just could not sustain the comeback. So shitty disappointing loss, but like these players and find them fun to root for.

In regards to Copeland, he had one of the most amazing passes in the first half to Brown that, unfortunately, went unnoticed by both announcers. I think Childress is very good as an analyst, but both at the time were too wrapped up in the UNC v. Duke promo and that particular game coming up on Saturday.

Thoughts?

Collectively, we do get angry after a loss, don't we?

That 21-0 run lasted 6:57 during which we went 0-8 from the field with four turnovers. Ouch.

You cannot let the other team should 60% from the floor and 50% from 3.

Combine the two and surprising we only lost by five.

Thought Q had a helluva game and Starling and Brown played well.

Carey has some skills.
He had a decent game overall but JJ missed his 2 most wide open 3's at the critical time of the game where we were in the midst of our run and could have taken control back.

He had a decent game overall but JJ missed his 2 most wide open 3's at the critical time of the game where we were in the midst of our run and could have taken control back.
Those were tough misses for sure. Maybe changes the game if he got one.

Still if you're given the option before the game to take 4/10 from 3 for JJ, you take that every time.

And his defense was horrible like always

I could complain, but I knew it would be a rocky, up and down, highs and lows year, and there'd be games where it looks like we turned a corner but in reality we are just going in circles. I just want us to finish at least at 500 and make the necessary changes/adjustments after the season to improve next season.

Eh, I pointed out in the game thread, his hitch was still there on a lot of his shots. I think he's just been adjusting to it, vs fixing his form. It was weird though, that 3 he made in the first half looked smooth, the couple towards the end of the 2nd had that bad hitch.

I've never seen multiple players take worse angles to stop a guy going for a layup. They play to the "side" of the guy with the ball when it's obvious where he's going. They don't anticipate and use their feet to get to the spot to face up and defend. Benny is the worst at this, followed by JJ

Yep. His shot has gotten better but the consistency on the form isn’t. And I agree he’s adjusted some too. A couple of posters have said he’s back to his old form. He’s not. It’s not the form he had in HS nor prep school. Below is a couple games ago vs FSU. He doesn’t still do this every long jumper but still does at times. Especially when he has time.

Like Devo has said a couple times, he needs to bring straight up to the pocket.

IMG_2349.jpeg
IMG_2350.jpeg
IMG_2351.jpeg

there's no shame in being "gassed" . to me it means the guy is playing full throttle and not coasting on cruise control. old school rule was when a player put his hands on his knees during a whistle pull him.
Have to imagine another downside of McCloud and Hima being injured is that Big Peter doesn’t get the opportunity to practice against a big body. That’s what wears you out, not running up and down the court.

A few thoughts
-Not sure why Judah seems so hesitant on the fast break. I don't know if he is trying to take better care of the ball or has been coached to do that, but the speed differential when Quadir leads the break versus Judah is glaring, as is the quality of passing. We lose the advantage of the defense having to get back and be out numbered, which is weird because Red has said he wants to run. Plus we are more effective in transition than in the half court. Also worth noting Quadir had 7 assists with 0 turnovers compared to Judah's 6 assists and 4 turnovers (which doesn't account for the forced air ball that sealed our fate).
-For a big part of BC's run, we had Cuffe, Hima and Benny on the floor. Just not enough offense.
-The free throws were a killer. If Judah can't make free throws, his effectiveness is severely diminished. Maliq looked rushed at the line in particular.
-Maliq played hard as always but between the missed free throws, poor passes and silly fouls, he was not at his best.
-Sitting behind our bench gave me a little more insight as to what a positive influence Quadir is on that team. When we were way down he was imploring his teammates to play hard and t keep grinding. When he sat he was engaged. When we went on the run he was pumping up the crowd. I think special things are ahead for him when he moves to the 1.
-Living here I hate BC and last night was a special kind of kick in the stones.

There are few things I bristle at more than message board types that moonlight as jump shot experts.

Now, I will break my own code to offer this: not every outside shot is the same. Some off the dribble, some with good feeds, some with poor feeds, some from the left, some from the right, some on the move, some while stationary, some off bounce passes, some open, some contested. You get the point. And what is worse is that sometimes a good/great jump shooter misses, even when he/she is open. And JJ missed a couple last night that might have turned the tide to some degree.

It's a tough sport. The game moves fast. Everyone is different.

JJ Reddick shot decidedly different than Larry Bird, who was different than Gerry, who was different that Kyle Guy, who was different than Reggie Miller. They were all elite in some form or fashion.

Let's not micromanage JJ, who is playing some really good basketball the last month or so.
He's going to be a shining light for this program in the next year or two.

JJ Reddick missed 60% of his threes at Duke.
JJ Starling has missed 69% of his threes at Duke/SU.
That's with a shoulder injury that very likely affected his strokes in over half his college games.
He's going to be just fine. In fact, we all see that he is trending upward/improving.
Gerry is doing really good work with him.
Let it play out. Let the experts (coaches) do their work. Not us (me included!).

I said it after the Miami win and I'll say it again. You are never as good as you think you are and never as bad as you think you are.

We committed some uncharacteristic turnovers last night. Mishandled balls. Threw passes away. Free throws...whoa. But what also really hurt were the unnecessary fouls. Particularly the one where Judah tried to steal the lazy inbound pass and bumped the guy for I believe his second foul. Then Red takes him and Maliq out to protect them and the game turned. We never regained our footing until we were down double digits 5 minutes in to the second half.

-Not sure why Judah seems so hesitant on the fast break. I don't know if he is trying to take better care of the ball ...
judah's assist / turnover ratio this season is 4.6/3.2 . not stellar. you'd like to see 2/1 for a pt guard.

(sherm avg'd 8/3 but had a much better surrounding cast )

Last edited:
On the positive side, this was our first close-ish loss. Still didn't beat the spread though.

There are few things I bristle at more than message board types that moonlight as jump shot experts.

Now, I will break my own code to offer this: not every outside shot is the same. Some off the dribble, some with good feeds, some with poor feeds, some from the left, some from the right, some on the move, some while stationary, some off bounce passes, some open, some contested. You get the point. And what is worse is that sometimes a good/great jump shooter misses, even when he/she is open. And JJ missed a couple last night that might have turned the tide to some degree.

It's a tough sport. The game moves fast. Everyone is different.

JJ Reddick shot decidedly different than Larry Bird, who was different than Gerry, who was different that Kyle Guy, who was different than Reggie Miller. They were all elite in some form or fashion.

Let's not micromanage JJ, who is playing some really good basketball the last month or so.
He's going to be a shining light for this program in the next year or two.

JJ Reddick missed 60% of his threes at Duke.
JJ Starling has missed 69% of his threes at Duke/SU.
That's with a shoulder injury that very likely affected his strokes in over half his college games.
He's going to be just fine. In fact, we all see that he is trending upward/improving.
Gerry is doing really good work with him.
Let it play out. Let the experts (coaches) do their work. Not us (me included!).
JJ didn’t play at Duke.

On the positive side, this was our first close-ish loss. Still didn't beat the spread though.
Funny comment by the announcer when we threw up that last second 3 that would have covered the spread...announcer says something along the lines of...3 point attempt that matters to some.

judah's assist / turnover ratio this season is 4.6/3.2 . not stellar. you'd like to see 2/1 for a pt guard.

(sherm avg'd 8/3 but had a much better surrounding cast )
Judahs ratio would be better if anyone around him could hit a consistent jump shot. Some is his fault, but not all of it.

And yes, this is regurgitating what 0307 says all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom