BC Postgame Thoughts | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

BC Postgame Thoughts

Comment from my friend/fellow alum/casual Cuse bball fan who was at the game:
"That Bell guy doesn't try at all. It was infuriating to watch live"
Well ya know it's funny and simple... I agree with that statement.
With Bell, for the most part, being a nonfactor on defense AND
Taylor not looking for his shot on offense, CUSE is playing 5 on 4.

(pssst...we're the 4)

A few thoughts
-Not sure why Judah seems so hesitant on the fast break. I don't know if he is trying to take better care of the ball or has been coached to do that, but the speed differential when Quadir leads the break versus Judah is glaring, as is the quality of passing. We lose the advantage of the defense having to get back and be out numbered, which is weird because Red has said he wants to run. Plus we are more effective in transition than in the half court. Also worth noting Quadir had 7 assists with 0 turnovers compared to Judah's 6 assists and 4 turnovers (which doesn't account for the forced air ball that sealed our fate).
-For a big part of BC's run, we had Cuffe, Hima and Benny on the floor. Just not enough offense.
-The free throws were a killer. If Judah can't make free throws, his effectiveness is severely diminished. Maliq looked rushed at the line in particular.
-Maliq played hard as always but between the missed free throws, poor passes and silly fouls, he was not at his best.
-Sitting behind our bench gave me a little more insight as to what a positive influence Quadir is on that team. When we were way down he was imploring his teammates to play hard and t keep grinding. When he sat he was engaged. When we went on the run he was pumping up the crowd. I think special things are ahead for him when he moves to the 1.
-Living here I hate BC and last night was a special kind of kick in the stones.

Judah doesn't want to run, period, end of story. Red does. It's a marriage of necessity and I get it, but it's not a perfect HC and lead guard relationship.

The line up during the run was bad. Totally right.

Guys miss FTs and make mistakes when they are gassed. Maliq and Judah were cooked.

We are just so imbalanced as a team. The center position is making our best player play out of position. We can't rely on any of the centers (Carey's dunks were fun). Q is probably the best guy in terms of lead guard, but we need Judah's talent out there. JJ has been coming on. And we start JT who should not even be in the rotation and Chris Bell who shouldn't be starting.

You cannot rely on Maliq to be playing the 5 and be such a key to the offense. He's our best screener, he's one of our best passers, and he's starting to add in scripted offensive plays. And just keep running him into the ground. It's not just the minutes played, it's the minutes played where you have to do everything.

Same with Judah. Judah is going to be up and down, but the dude takes bumps on a ton of possessions.

All du respect to Bell, but it's funny hearing that. Same dude that basically told JB he didn't rebound, lol. Same dude that was throwing down candy and soda like crazy last year and just cut back this year to get in shape.

All du respect to Bell, but it's funny hearing that. Same dude that basically told JB he didn't rebound, lol. Same dude that was throwing down candy and soda like crazy last year and just cut back this year to get in shape.
You just gotta embrace the Chris Bell Experience for everything it is.

And isn't.

I was at the game. 65-70% orange fans. Embarrassing to lose a road game in that environment, especially by allowing a 21-0 run. ANOTHER poor end to the half.

For as great as Maliqs play was to get us back in it (I should never be typing that vs BC), his FT shooting and missed 3 that would’ve taken the lead in 2H absolutely killed momentum.

This team needs 3 point shooters bad. Bell’s airball off the bat was a terrible sign as he hung his head and barely made an impact rest of game. JJ missed way too many open looks. BC knew we weren’t a good shooting team and played a pack line defense that rattled Judah, credit to them for that.

Looked like playing in a court that’s in a hockey arena maybe caused condensation on the court, guys were slipping all night which really bothered Judah.

Qadir in my opinion had the best game but questionable coaching by Red with some second half rotations. It’s clear Taylor is a 0 at this point offensively.

Missed bunnies during the 21-0 run and the FTs added up in this one. Lots of missed bunnies in early second half

Refs were garbage, don’t tell me sports aren’t rigged and it’s a coincidence we lost by 5.

Another year of needing a magical ACC tourney run and a prayer to make the tourney. This program has fallen so far in 10 years. I don’t want to hear this team is young, I don’t want to hear how we will be a tourney team next year. I’m not out on Red, but the immaturity of this team and the multiple collapses at end of half and games is a huge red (pun not intended) flag. Should’ve conducted a national search imo. Rant over
this team would be really good if they could play 2 more years together

what are the odds though that that happens in this era? ven though they are all sophomores its basically zero.

fans dont have anything much to look forward to now...

agreed on the refs...they reffed it perfectly to help BC, imo

some very very questionable calls too...

BC knew exactly what they were doing super chippy and crossed the line a few times ...which was enabled by the refs. "smart" by them but sucks to watch as a fan, imo

in my opinion, if the refs had clamped down a bt more on BC's over aggressives strategy, BC loses the game

Perhaps if we had one more useless center on the roster it would ease the burden.
yeah I mean only having 1 servicable front court player on the entire roster...makes getting anywhere with roster basically impossible

red needed to play hima and carey more throughout the season

he just doesnt get it

brown cant play an entire half at the intensity level of the BC game without cracking

and this team has nothing when he is out of the game

Eh, I pointed out in the game thread, his hitch was still there on a lot of his shots. I think he's just been adjusting to it, vs fixing his form. It was weird though, that 3 he made in the first half looked smooth, the couple towards the end of the 2nd had that bad hitch.

I've never seen multiple players take worse angles to stop a guy going for a layup. They play to the "side" of the guy with the ball when it's obvious where he's going. They don't anticipate and use their feet to get to the spot to face up and defend. Benny is the worst at this, followed by JJ
they give up SOOO many uncontested or wide open shots

very reminiscent of the JB era

its weird...SU doesnt get too many of those kinds of shots when they play offense.

A few thoughts
-Not sure why Judah seems so hesitant on the fast break. I don't know if he is trying to take better care of the ball or has been coached to do that, but the speed differential when Quadir leads the break versus Judah is glaring, as is the quality of passing. We lose the advantage of the defense having to get back and be out numbered, which is weird because Red has said he wants to run. Plus we are more effective in transition than in the half court. Also worth noting Quadir had 7 assists with 0 turnovers compared to Judah's 6 assists and 4 turnovers (which doesn't account for the forced air ball that sealed our fate).
-For a big part of BC's run, we had Cuffe, Hima and Benny on the floor. Just not enough offense.
-The free throws were a killer. If Judah can't make free throws, his effectiveness is severely diminished. Maliq looked rushed at the line in particular.
-Maliq played hard as always but between the missed free throws, poor passes and silly fouls, he was not at his best.
-Sitting behind our bench gave me a little more insight as to what a positive influence Quadir is on that team. When we were way down he was imploring his teammates to play hard and t keep grinding. When he sat he was engaged. When we went on the run he was pumping up the crowd. I think special things are ahead for him when he moves to the 1.
-Living here I hate BC and last night was a special kind of kick in the stones.
they rush their free thrws and dont even look at the rime until the last second

Judah doesn't want to run, period, end of story. Red does. It's a marriage of necessity and I get it, but it's not a perfect HC and lead guard relationship.

The line up during the run was bad. Totally right.

Guys miss FTs and make mistakes when they are gassed. Maliq and Judah were cooked.

We are just so imbalanced as a team. The center position is making our best player play out of position. We can't rely on any of the centers (Carey's dunks were fun). Q is probably the best guy in terms of lead guard, but we need Judah's talent out there. JJ has been coming on. And we start JT who should not even be in the rotation and Chris Bell who shouldn't be starting.

You cannot rely on Maliq to be playing the 5 and be such a key to the offense. He's our best screener, he's one of our best passers, and he's starting to add in scripted offensive plays. And just keep running him into the ground. It's not just the minutes played, it's the minutes played where you have to do everything.

Same with Judah. Judah is going to be up and down, but the dude takes bumps on a ton of possessions.
hima has to play...its ridiculous he doesnt play more unless it is just physically impossible

especially vs a team like bc

1) That's a great way to put it.

2) I think if he was coming off the bench he would be viewed much more favorably. Hitting shots? Great, let him rip. If not, swap in someone else.
Could be true. I do think some folks hold it against him that he starts.

Whereas we'd be thrilled with a dude that came off the bench and averaged 10 points a game, mostly on bombs.

When I was growing up, my mom taught me that if I don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Tonight, I will heed that advice.
As I reluctantly signed on tonight I had a smile after reading your post. Last evening even before the final whistle, I closed my computer somewhere between shock and disgust. Not shocked that they lost but because how terribly we played. I am sure it will be said many, many times but missed free throws, empty possessions and scoring lapses of several minutes to start the game. end the first half and start the second half. If Red had left the team in Syracuse and brought some intramural players we would have at least had an idea of why it happened. We are what we are and it is not enough!

Whereas we'd be thrilled with a dude that came off the bench and averaged 10 points a game, mostly on bombs.
Coming off the bench and sparking a run by hitting a couple shots would be great.
But you don't want someone starting who all they contribute is hitting a couple 3's.
Joe hit more 3's and got more rebounds than Bell.
Plus Joe could put the ball on the floor a bit, and could pass the ball.
Bell does none of that.

Coming off the bench and sparking a run by hitting a couple shots would be great.
But you don't want someone starting who all they contribute is hitting a couple 3's.
Joe hit more 3's and got more rebounds than Bell.
Plus Joe could put the ball on the floor a bit, and could pass the ball.
Bell does none of that.
Not sure why Joe Girard has entered the chat.

He's not an alternative starter.

I'm chuckling a bit at the free throws matter responses in this, in that "if SU had made
their free throws, they'd have won." Sure, but that would've required them shooting
at least 13-14, for 92.8%, to win. We're talking Syracuse here. Not Villanova, not Cornell,
not a school with dead-eye shooters, it's the Orange. If they'd gone 7-20, and you were
asking if they at least hit 65%, they'd have won, sure, but 93%? Not happening. Way
more annoyed with the D that allowed BC's old guys to shoot 60%, and couldn't rebound.
And the net 21-0 run. By BC. That sucked.

Things I did like ... Carey, but how you tired after like 5 mins? Copeland with the ball is
pretty talented. Benny and Maliq were solid, do wish Benny was about 3x as productive.
Starling and Mintz, statistically they gave you a good game, but they weren't very good in
doing so. SU plays so much better when Mintz doesn't think he needs to do everything,
but there are stretches he plays like that.

Kev

Not at his PER and starting. He’s started 51 games. That’s insane.

this team would be really good if they could play 2 more years together

what are the odds though that that happens in this era? ven though they are all sophomores its basically zero.

fans dont have anything much to look forward to now...

agreed on the refs...they reffed it perfectly to help BC, imo

some very very questionable calls too...

BC knew exactly what they were doing super chippy and crossed the line a few times ...which was enabled by the refs. "smart" by them but sucks to watch as a fan, imo

in my opinion, if the refs had clamped down a bt more on BC's over aggressives strategy, BC loses the game
Not if we can’t hit FTs though… and yeah zero chance this group stays together. Taylor will likely be run out of town, Benny might transfer, Carey could transfer, Judah will 95% go to the league, Copeland might test the waters

He needs to be the best shooter in the conference to offset the rest of his game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom