Becoming an elite recruits' destination | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Becoming an elite recruits' destination

Since we're on the topic, here's the "academic ranking" of P5 + 2 basketball programs:

#5 - Stanford
#8 - Duke
#12 - Northwestern
#15 - Notre Dame
#15 - Vanderbilt
#20 - Georgetown
#20 - Cal
#20 - USC
#24 - UCLA
#24 - Virginia
#27 - Michigan
#27 - Wake Forest
#30 - UNC
#31 - BC
#34 - Georgia Tech
#44 - Miami
#44 - Wisconsin
#50 - Penn State
#50 - Florida
#50 - Villanova
#54 - Ohio State
#54 - Washington
#56 - SMU
#56 - Georgia
#56 - Texas
#60 - Purdue
#60 - Syracuse
#60 - UConn
#60 - Maryland
#66 - Clemson
#68 - Pittsburgh
#70 - Rutgers

Since we're on the topic, here's the "academic ranking" of P5 + 2 basketball programs:

#5 - Stanford
#8 - Duke
#12 - Northwestern
#15 - Notre Dame
#15 - Vanderbilt
#20 - Georgetown
#20 - Cal
#20 - USC
#24 - UCLA
#24 - Virginia
#27 - Michigan
#27 - Wake Forest
#30 - UNC
#31 - BC
#34 - Georgia Tech
#44 - Miami
#44 - Wisconsin
#50 - Penn State
#50 - Florida
#50 - Villanova
#54 - Ohio State
#54 - Washington
#56 - SMU
#56 - Georgia
#56 - Texas
#60 - Purdue
#60 - Syracuse
#60 - UConn
#60 - Maryland
#66 - Clemson
#68 - Pittsburgh
#70 - Rutgers

UNC's is a fake ranking, but that's not in the NCAA's #wheelhouse.

What, no Llvll or Couch Burning U? :p

Nebraska basketball has the Hendricks Training Complex. 84,000 sq ft of luxury. 15 million dollar cost.
60 televisions. Two 103inch tvs. Tv in the toilets. Everything is amazing in there.
But Nebraska still sucks and they cannot recruit any good players.
Just making the point that luxury is not the end all be all.

I do agree we need better facilities. The Melo Center looks like the local YMCA compared to some of these schools. I mean Duke has an underground tunnel that goes from Cameron to their training facility.

You have wow these kids. Especially these 5 star guys who are pampered every day of their lives. Melo Center will look like crap to them.

I think a new head coach is inevitable. He cant coach forever, right? Like I have said before losing Hop was probably the worst thing to ever happen to us. Set us back atleast a few years in recruiting.
But what is the best way to go about it without screwing us? Another succession plan with Gmac or Autry at the wheel? Or a national search after Jimmy hangs them up?

But going forward we have to make sure our facilities are atleast comparable to the Dukes and Kentuckys.

We have to be more flexible in our defense. It is not the 80's Big East anymore. The zone was perfect for the knock down drag out battles of the BE. Not so much for the ACC. Its all about speed, finesse, and shooting.

I think the Syracuse brand is still intact. We have just had some real bad luck lately. Hop, sanctions, Jimmy unretiring, UK and Duke screwing us over.

#5 - Stanford
#8 - Duke
#12 - Northwestern
#15 - Notre Dame
#15 - Vanderbilt
#20 - Georgetown
#20 - Cal
#20 - USC
#24 - UCLA
#24 - Virginia
#27 - Michigan
#27 - Wake Forest
#30 - UNC
#31 - BC
#34 - Georgia Tech
#44 - Miami
#44 - Wisconsin
#50 - Penn State
#50 - Florida
#50 - Villanova
#54 - Ohio State
#54 - Washington
#56 - SMU
#56 - Georgia
#56 - Texas
#60 - Purdue
#60 - Syracuse
#60 - UConn
#60 - Maryland
#66 - Clemson
#68 - Pittsburgh
#70 - Rutgers
Wow thx for the info

Retire JB and send him to the broadcast booth.
Hire Gregg Marshall
Hire Orlando Antigua
Keep the rest of the staff
Marshall is a good coach but lets be real. Our teams would be great in the Missouri Valley Conference.

Plus Marshall has never proven to be a good recruiter.

And on Antigua, wow he really sucked it up at South Florida. Could not win and got one 4 star recruit his whole time there. He is mainly hype and got recognition from being with Cal.

#5 - Stanford
#8 - Duke
#12 - Northwestern
#15 - Notre Dame
#15 - Vanderbilt
#20 - Georgetown
#20 - Cal
#20 - USC
#24 - UCLA
#24 - Virginia
#27 - Michigan
#27 - Wake Forest
#30 - UNC
#31 - BC
#34 - Georgia Tech
#44 - Miami
#44 - Wisconsin
#50 - Penn State
#50 - Florida
#50 - Villanova
#54 - Ohio State
#54 - Washington
#56 - SMU
#56 - Georgia
#56 - Texas
#60 - Purdue
#60 - Syracuse
#60 - UConn
#60 - Maryland
#66 - Clemson
#68 - Pittsburgh
#70 - Rutgers
I expect that # to get better now that Nancy is gone. I think we were #39 when she arrived.

Retire JB and send him to the broadcast booth.
Hire Gregg Marshall
Hire Orlando Antigua
Keep the rest of the staff
Gregg Marshall has a reputation for arrogance and abrasiveness. Apparently ADs have been less than impressed with him in interviews. No thanks. I would have suggested Archie Miller but Indiana just snapped him up.

I expect that # to get better now that Nancy is gone. I think we were #39 when she arrived.
I'm not too familiar with her tenure as chancellor - what did she do that helped push the ranking down?

I'm not too familiar with her tenure as chancellor - what did she do that helped push the ranking down?

Accepted students from poorer backgrounds that had lower grades and SAT scores which lead to an increase of enrollment by about 20%. Was a horrible budget manager and the endowment declined.

She is now at rutgers. That is all you need to know.

#5 - Stanford
#8 - Duke
#12 - Northwestern
#15 - Notre Dame
#15 - Vanderbilt
#20 - Georgetown
#20 - Cal
#20 - USC
#24 - UCLA
#24 - Virginia
#27 - Michigan
#27 - Wake Forest
#30 - UNC
#31 - BC
#34 - Georgia Tech
#44 - Miami
#44 - Wisconsin
#50 - Penn State
#50 - Florida
#50 - Villanova
#54 - Ohio State
#54 - Washington
#56 - SMU
#56 - Georgia
#56 - Texas
#60 - Purdue
#60 - Syracuse
#60 - UConn
#60 - Maryland
#66 - Clemson
#68 - Pittsburgh
#70 - Rutgers
Source?

Most recruits don't care too much about academics. College is college and a degree is a degree in the minds of many. Are you saying any school not on par with Syracuse academically is inferior? So the tens of thousands of regular students who go to Kentucky, Kansas, or Arizona should be "aiming higher"?
Nope, not referring that. Stating that the majority of top 100 players do not finish college. Many leave to try their luck at the pros and are not drafted. I am saying that most of these players are not going to school for the school but for the chance to be noticed by the pros. Even the new recruit from Cincinnati stated that he did not feel that Ohio State would help his chances for the NBA but Syracuse and other schools would. Too many of these players never receive a degree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom