Before we all jump off the bridge | Syracusefan.com

Before we all jump off the bridge

dasher

Hoops Inside Info Guru
A little history lesson might be needed. In 1986, we had a great team. And we lost our three best players. This was after losing to Navy at the Carrier Dome in the NCAA tournament. A team that we rolled earlier in the season. gone were pearl, Raf Addison, and Wendell Alexis. How are we going to score next year? All we had were two reserve guards, little used and not highly regarded Sherm Douglas and Sr Greg Monroe. A good player but nothing special. Up front, we had Howard Triche a nice role player but nothing more. Ron S. was a project at center. He wasn't Rony S. yet. and a highly rated frosh Derrick Coleman. we did a lot better than anyone thought. Needless to say. We don't know who we are going to add before this recruiting season is over. Look, we won't be good. But we may end up about where we are right now. On second thought, what bridge are you guys going to...

A little history lesson might be needed. In 1986, we had a great team. And we lost our three best players. This was after losing to Navy at the Carrier Dome in the NCAA tournament. A team that we rolled earlier in the season. gone were pearl, Raf Addison, and Wendell Alexis. How are we going to score next year? All we had were two reserve guards, little used and not highly regarded Sherm Douglas and Sr Greg Monroe. A good player but nothing special. Up front, we had Howard Triche a nice role player but nothing more. Ron S. was a project at center. He wasn't Rony S. yet. and a highly rated frosh Derrick Coleman. we did a lot better than anyone thought. Needless to say. We don't know who we are going to add before this recruiting season is over. Look, we won't be good. But we may end up about where we are right now. On second thought, what bridge are you guys going to...

Dasher said Frank Howard is the next Sherman Douglas everyone!! Bookmark it!

True enough. But we had 2 incoming freshmen that were McD AA's. Derrick Coleman who was a top 10 recruit (#6 if I recall correctly) and MVP of the McDonald's game. And Stevie Thompson also an immediate contributor. Nothing like them coming in from the HS recruits next season. Let's hope we hit a home run with a couple 5th year grad transfers.

True enough. But we had 2 incoming freshmen that were McD AA's. Derrick Coleman who was a top 10 recruit (#6 if I recall correctly) and MVP of the McDonald's game. And Stevie Thompson also an immediate contributor. Nothing like them coming in from the HS recruits next season. Let's hope we hit a home run with a couple 5th year grad transfers.
we were also saved one year when Moten was 10x the player we thought he was going to be. I have hopes for one of our recruits doing that. But they are only hopes.

Dash, for our next season, we will have to bring up this thread and hoop in general.

It's ok, tough year...I get it.

And Derrick Coleman was the number 1 player in the country. We bringing in Michael Porter next year?
Dc was the 2nd best (at the time) big man out of Michigan that year. I think it was Terry Mills that was rated higher. When I retire I'll unbury all my vintage recruiting mags, newsletters, etc.

we were also saved one year when Moten was 10x the player we thought he was going to be. I have hopes for one of our recruits doing that. But they are only hopes.
Yeah, Battle could play a reasonable facsimile of Dave Johnson, now all we need is Oshae or Matthew to be one of the greatest all-time players in SU history...:confused:

Geez. All we need to do is find a player equivalent to two of our best players we have ever had and we can be competitive. What a fun way to be optimistic.

Frank is gonna surprise people. I just hope those that hate him now will give him credit. Who am I kidding? Of course everyone will say they never had any doubt in Frank. Frank is a PG. He has great size. He can pass. He can't shoot well, yet. We were spoiled by Flynn, MCW, and Ennis. A sophomore who struggled? Blasphemy. Junior Frank will be just fine.

Frank is gonna surprise people. I just hope those that hate him now will give him credit. Who am I kidding? Of course everyone will say they never had any doubt in Frank. Frank is a PG. He has great size. He can pass. He can't shoot well, yet. We got spoiled by Flynn, MCW, and Ennis. A sophomore who struggled? Blasphemy. Junior Frank will be just fine.
your lips to... I will believe it when I see it. Although I hope you are right. I still expect us to go get a pt guard. Ayala. a 5th year guy.

I honestly think that instant gratification is expected by us older fellas. Scoop was terrible, then beloved. A certain poster, or two, hates on any player that leaves early for their best interest. It's getting old, like some of us.

I honestly think that instant gratification is expected by us older fellas. Scoop was terrible, then beloved. A certain poster, or two, hates on any player that leaves early for their best interest. It's getting old, like some of us.
Howard is a different take. Yes. He has been horrible on the floor. But we can all live with that. Whine like two year old's but live with it. But a lot of the tough talk on him is about him. His actions off the floor. Which haven't been good.

your lips to... I will believe it when I see it. Although I hope you are right. I still expect us to go get a pt guard. Ayala. a 5th year guy.

We definitely need more help. I'm just not going to write Frank off. Fans seemingly write players off, then complain that we don't develop 4 year guys anymore.

Which way does the fan base want to go? We have a bipolar base.

Not towards you, as I respect your opinion, and insight greatly. It's just becoming rampant from some.

Howard is a different take. Yes. He has been horrible on the floor. But we can all live with that. Whine like two year old's but live with it. But a lot of the tough talk on him is about him. His actions off the floor. Which haven't been good.

I hear ya. I'm not privy to what happened. I just see potential in Frank, but know that he may have some baggage.

The game is much different now though. I believe that Navy team had a senior David Robinson. Can the world even conceive of such a thing today? Look no further than this years Duke team: absolutely grand slam recruiting class, returning the presumptive national POY, and got a quantum leap in performance from a rising sophomore, consensus #1 team pre-season. We beat them with our worst team of the decade and they got bounced in the 2nd round.

also 2009 . . . coming off of back to back trips to the NIT and 37 losses in the previous 3 years, that team rebounded to 28 wins & a Sweet 16 trip. But then Flynn, Harris and Devo all left early (along with Sr. Ongenaut). This forum was filled with the same "where will the points come from?" posts. Only scholarship players coming back were Rautins, Onuaku, Joseph and Jackson, all of whom had shown flashes but none of whom looked like star material. Scoop would be coming back from his redshirt year but he hadn't impressed anyone in his freshman campaign. There were rumors about Wes Johnson but nobody really knew what we were in for. And the only freshman coming in were Triche, Mookie and Dash Riley - not an imposing class on paper. All in all, a bunch of guys rated 2 and 3 stars coming out of high school, with the sole exceptions of 4 stars Jackson, Joseph & Jardine. And all they did was turn into the best team we've ever put on the floor.

Of course there's reason to be concerned. This year's team had the worst defense and worst point guard play I've ever seen from a Syracuse team. But who knows what the final roster will look like & how the guys already here will develop; the one thing we do know is that the guy in charge is as good at this as anybody in the game.

also 2009 . . . coming off of back to back trips to the NIT and 37 losses in the previous 3 years, that team rebounded to 28 wins & a Sweet 16 trip. But then Flynn, Harris and Devo all left early (along with Sr. Ongenaut). This forum was filled with the same "where will the points come from?" posts. Only scholarship players coming back were Rautins, Onuaku, Joseph and Jackson, all of whom had shown flashes but none of whom looked like star material. Scoop would be coming back from his redshirt year but he hadn't impressed anyone in his freshman campaign. There were rumors about Wes Johnson but nobody really knew what we were in for. And the only freshman coming in were Triche, Mookie and Dash Riley - not an imposing class on paper. All in all, a bunch of guys rated 2 and 3 stars coming out of high school, with the sole exceptions of 4 stars Jackson, Joseph & Jardine. And all they did was turn into the best team we've ever put on the floor.

Of course there's reason to be concerned. This year's team had the worst defense and worst point guard play I've ever seen from a Syracuse team. But who knows what the final roster will look like & how the guys already here will develop; the one thing we do know is that the guy in charge is as good at this as anybody in the game.

This outlook sums up the definition of a FAN. Kudos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom