Before we all jump off the bridge | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Before we all jump off the bridge

A little history lesson might be needed. In 1986, we had a great team. And we lost our three best players. This was after losing to Navy at the Carrier Dome in the NCAA tournament. A team that we rolled earlier in the season. gone were pearl, Raf Addison, and Wendell Alexis. How are we going to score next year? All we had were two reserve guards, little used and not highly regarded Sherm Douglas and Sr Greg Monroe. A good player but nothing special. Up front, we had Howard Triche a nice role player but nothing more. Ron S. was a project at center. He wasn't Rony S. yet. and a highly rated frosh Derrick Coleman. we did a lot better than anyone thought. Needless to say. We don't know who we are going to add before this recruiting season is over. Look, we won't be good. But we may end up about where we are right now. On second thought, what bridge are you guys going to...

1) That was 30 years ago. Completely different landscape to college hoops now.
2) I don't want to sign up for 'where we're at now'. Where we're at now sucks. Boeheim lost more games this season than any other season in his 41 year tenure.

Howard is a different take. Yes. He has been horrible on the floor. But we can all live with that. Whine like two year old's but live with it. But a lot of the tough talk on him is about him. His actions off the floor. Which haven't been good.

To the extent that half the stuff about him off the floor is true, it really worries me that we sound like we are going all in on him next season. If the rumors are true the better move would be to cut out the cancer, take our lumps next season and move on.

In fact if I were the AD or University President looking at the situation I might say JB cut Howard loose and accelerate your retirement. We are instituting succession plan B and it involves immediately beginning a quick and thorough search and then handing the reigns over to the best successor we can find.

A little history lesson might be needed. In 1986, we had a great team. And we lost our three best players. This was after losing to Navy at the Carrier Dome in the NCAA tournament. A team that we rolled earlier in the season. gone were pearl, Raf Addison, and Wendell Alexis. How are we going to score next year? All we had were two reserve guards, little used and not highly regarded Sherm Douglas and Sr Greg Monroe. A good player but nothing special. Up front, we had Howard Triche a nice role player but nothing more. Ron S. was a project at center. He wasn't Rony S. yet. and a highly rated frosh Derrick Coleman. we did a lot better than anyone thought. Needless to say. We don't know who we are going to add before this recruiting season is over. Look, we won't be good. But we may end up about where we are right now. On second thought, what bridge are you guys going to...
So, are we bringing in the next DC and Stevie Thompson? You're saying PC is Rony? FH isn't even Greg Monroe (I'd kill for a Greg Monroe on the roster) let alone Sherman. In fact, FH is closer to Peabody's pet boy Sherman than he is to Sherman Douglas.

also 2009 . . . coming off of back to back trips to the NIT and 37 losses in the previous 3 years, that team rebounded to 28 wins & a Sweet 16 trip. But then Flynn, Harris and Devo all left early (along with Sr. Ongenaut). This forum was filled with the same "where will the points come from?" posts. Only scholarship players coming back were Rautins, Onuaku, Joseph and Jackson, all of whom had shown flashes but none of whom looked like star material. Scoop would be coming back from his redshirt year but he hadn't impressed anyone in his freshman campaign. There were rumors about Wes Johnson but nobody really knew what we were in for. And the only freshman coming in were Triche, Mookie and Dash Riley - not an imposing class on paper. All in all, a bunch of guys rated 2 and 3 stars coming out of high school, with the sole exceptions of 4 stars Jackson, Joseph & Jardine. And all they did was turn into the best team we've ever put on the floor.

Of course there's reason to be concerned. This year's team had the worst defense and worst point guard play I've ever seen from a Syracuse team. But who knows what the final roster will look like & how the guys already here will develop; the one thing we do know is that the guy in charge is as good at this as anybody in the game.

Sophomore Battle and Thompson are not a bad start to a team. I aint that scared.

Thanks, dasher.

Can I jump now?

I honestly think that instant gratification is expected by us older fellas. Scoop was terrible, then beloved. A certain poster, or two, hates on any player that leaves early for their best interest. It's getting old, like some of us.

It becomes a mob mentality...a couple/few posters hate on just about every player because it makes them feel better about themselves...then some others join in and before you know it you have a mob...kind of like the whole JB/Hop conspiracy thing going on other threads...easier to bring someone down to your level, then raise them up...

And Derrick Coleman was the number 1 player in the country. We bringing in Michael Porter next year?
Coleman was not the number one player in the country. He was not even our first choice out of Michigan. Fiction.
And Derrick Coleman was the number 1 player in the country. We bringing in Michael Porter next year?
Not correct. Not even our number one power forward target from Michigan that year. That would be Terry Mills.

Coleman was not the number one player in the country. He was not even our first choice out of Michigan. Fiction.

Not correct. Not even our number one power forward target from Michigan that year. That would be Terry Mills.

He was a McDonalds All American and ranked number 6. Do we have someone like that coming in?

He was a McDonalds All American and ranked number 6. Do we have someone like that coming in?

We almost NEVER have someone like that coming in. EVER.

Pearl, DC, Owens - and then what, Carmelo?
We get a legit Top Ten type recruit like 1-2x a DECADE.

Programs like UK, Duke, UNC, KU - get multiple Top 25 guys almost every year.
We're usually doing pretty good if we get ONE.

We almost NEVER have someone like that coming in. EVER.

Pearl, DC, Owens - and then what, Carmelo?
We get a legit Top Ten type recruit like 1-2x a DECADE.

Programs like UK, Duke, UNC, KU - get multiple Top 25 guys almost every year.
We're usually doing pretty good if we get ONE.

Yet, except the last few years, we are regularly in the Top 25 and have two F4s in the last few years...

Yet, except the last few years, we are regularly in the Top 25 and have two F4s in the last few years...

And your point is??

I wasn't referring to our AP rankings, but our recruiting rankings.
Or, more specifically - the ranking of the best recruit in a given class.
In response to the poster who was asking if we had a guy like Michael Porter coming in any time soon.

You can count our total # of Top Ten recruits on your fingers during the JB era - we just don't get those kinda recruits hardly ever.
We do often have good overall classes, due to the volume of good players, but rarely that consensus superstar recruit.

Doesn't mean we're not a very good program, or have had great results, been ranked, FF's, etc.
JB does more with less than most of the other great/blueblood programs.

And your point is??

I wasn't referring to our AP rankings, but our recruiting rankings.
Or, more specifically - the ranking of the best recruit in a given class.
In response to the poster who was asking if we had a guy like Michael Porter coming in any time soon.

You can count our total # of Top Ten recruits on your fingers during the JB era - we just don't get those kinda recruits hardly ever.
We do often have good overall classes, due to the volume of good players, but rarely that consensus superstar recruit.

Doesn't mean we're not a very good program, or have had great results, been ranked, FF's, etc.
JB does more with less than most of the other great/blueblood programs.

Ahhh...okey dokey...

It becomes a mob mentality...a couple/few posters hate on just about every player because it makes them feel better about themselves...then some others join in and before you know it you have a mob...kind of like the whole JB/Hop conspiracy thing going on other threads...easier to bring someone down to your level, then raise them up...

Well said. It's unfortunately completely true.

I think he's already pulled enough surprises.

Hey, if you guys have given up on him, that's fine. Personally, I haven't.

To each their own, and only time will tell.

I enjoy using those standard idioms.

Time won't tell anything, performance will, and past performance is the best predictor of future results.

Time won't tell anything, performance will, and past performance is the best predictor of future results.

No player has ever improved from his Sophomore to Junior year.

Here we have people calling for Sophomore Lydon to come back for his his Junior year. That will improve his ability.

On the other hand. We have Sophomore Frank coming back for his Junior year, and he's hopeless.

This board is fun.

The dude used to white knuckle his way through blizzards in plaid and a Pinto (or whatever) down the thruway to watch Orr and Bouie. I do get that advancement has its perks, though.
awesome post

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom