Beginning to come to light: ACCnetwork go decision by early 2016 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Beginning to come to light: ACCnetwork go decision by early 2016

The question is not whether football drives the bus. The question is can college basketball be monetized like college football to the point that the season makes just as much or more for a network. College football has the edge due to ticket sales. The arenas are huge; therefore, the advantage is immediately to college football.

College basketball has much more inventory, more opportunity for better match ups and a great season ending tournament unmatched by any sport in popularity aside from the Super Bowl. I believe the ACC basketball fan base is just as passionate as SEC football fan base. And, there are more national brands in the ACC basketball side of things than there are for SEC football. So during those cold winter months when everyone is relegated to indoors, do you not believe that fan base would not be eager to watch their alma mater, favorite team play every single game possible? ESPN can only televise x amount of games. Obviously, the marquee match ups will be on ESPN; however, Ga Tech vs Duke, UNC, Cuse, Pitt, ND, U of L is certainly a game that can be televised on the network. There are just too many good bball games available that certainly isn't the typically tier fare. Also, Lax in the northeast, soccer and baseball would certainly draw viewers. I think the ACC network is primed for a big return.

The question is not whether football drives the bus. The question is can college basketball be monetized like college football to the point that the season makes just as much or more for a network. College football has the edge due to ticket sales. The arenas are huge; therefore, the advantage is immediately to college football.
Most arenas are "huge" but not all hoops venues are "small".

I have to wonder why this is so far out to 2016? Contracts expire at that time , possibly? Could Notre Dames hand be forced by the new playoff format. If a 1 loss Big 12 team fails to get in the next 2 years , because of no conference championship game , what hope could the Irish have. Undefeated or they are not in , maybe.

I have to wonder why this is so far out to 2016? Contracts expire at that time , possibly? Could Notre Dames hand be forced by the new playoff format. If a 1 loss Big 12 team fails to get in the next 2 years , because of no conference championship game , what hope could the Irish have. Undefeated or they are not in , maybe.
The ACC probably has a deadline from ESPN to purchase back the TV rights subleased to Fox Sports regional and Raycom. The more difficult negotiation obviously is with Fox but ESPN wants all its ducks lined up before they will commit to a network.

I mean, if we're quoting on-the-record interviews by ADs in major publications, we're not really talking about "whispers", right?

It's kinda more like, you know, sharing a link.

:noidea:

I mean, if we're quoting on-the-record interviews by ADs in major publications, we're not really talking about "whispers", right?

It's kinda more like, you know, sharing a link.

:noidea:

I think Arb's was referring to the whispers he's been talking about for a year now actually getting more "official traction" like the article he linked to...

I think Arb's was referring to the whispers he's been talking about for a year now actually getting more "official traction" like the article he linked to...

I know. Lots of articles in the past year.

:)

Reactions: CIL

Okay some additional information:
  • The ACC is waiting the final touches for ACCnetwork...that does not mean that what comes after the final go has to wait--plans are in the works.
  • the process and working through the necessary steps to go forward on the ACCnetwork has begun...the timeframe noted above is for it to be on air...
  • What is being done now is beginning to line up all the tiers and how to pay for buying back necessary inventory--there is more than one way to do so and this will finalized prior to dates above...this is more than one "track moving forward"
As stated previously...a year ago...this will happen unless something not on the present horizon happens. The 'Duckss" are in a row and moving forward on different levels.

It's Good to be 'Cuse!! The Order of the 'Cuse Orange..

Notre Dame finalizing the 60 game package for football with the ACC, do people really think Notre Dame would be doing this in such a fast time, if they didn't know the network is coming soon? By the way whether you like Notre Dame or not if their in network programming, no matter how small it gets on cable, they have more fans then anyone else, in all parts of the country.

Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Miami FB are the keys to the ACC Network.
Florida State and Clmeson will be good each year. If those teams can produce consecutive top 25 seasons then the ACC Network will have more football. Basketball/Lacrosse/Baseball will be their for the ACC after FB season, but the ACC needs those 3 teams I listed to be anchors in FB. VPI has been pretty good, UNC is has the potential with Fedora and Al Golden has the U on the upswing.
Vatech and UNC have far less credibility nationwide than Syracuse, Pitt and GATech. Full agree that Miami winning g again could go a long ways. The three I mentioned will go further nationally that VATech and/or UNC. If the ACC can have five teams in the thick of things with title contenders annually we will be fine.

** VATech wins games they should win but nationwide CFB fans expect them to lose the big games and VATech rarely disappoints. UNC is way overrated and does far less with far more tools than most teams. History matters more, Pitt, Syracuse and GATech are recognized by fans who know CFB. This goes a lot further than beating up pansies and losing big games.

Vatech and UNC have far less credibility nationwide than Syracuse, Pitt and GATech. Full agree that Miami winning g again could go a long ways. The three I mentioned will go further nationally that VATech and/or UNC. If the ACC can have five teams in the thick of things with title contenders annually we will be fine.

** VATech wins games they should win but nationwide CFB fans expect them to lose the big games and VATech rarely disappoints. UNC is way overrated and does far less with far more tools than most teams. History matters more, Pitt, Syracuse and GATech are recognized by fans who know CFB. This goes a lot further than beating up pansies and losing big games.
This is just patently false while VPI craps the bed in big games they have won 4 ACC titles since 2004, have played in 2 Sugar Bowls, 3 Orange Bowls winning 1 BCS game.
Syracuse played in Orange Bowl back in 1999 and you want to stay Syracuse has more creditability? Our FB brand has taken a nose dive we are back to being average while VPI is top 25 every 2 years. UNC and VPI have fertile recruiting grounds that SU doesn't. How you think Georgia Tech is better nationally perceived than VPI is mystifying. The Hokies don't close the deal but they are a national player. North Carolina has a great brand and if their coach uses the talent the program is starting get they have a chance to be good almost yearly.
Syracuse needs 1 top 300 recruit I mean we at overrating ourselves a lot if we think we are level with the Jokies.

Alsacs...I think HTown is referring to the Hokies propensity to lose the big games

Under Beamer

Nov. 14, 1987 -- at No. 3 Miami: 27-13 loss
Sept. 3, 1988 -- at No. 4 Clemson: 40-7 loss
Nov. 12, 1988 -- at No. 5 Florida State: 41-14 loss
Sept. 29, 1990 -- at No. 2 Florida State: 39-28 loss
Oct. 12, 1991 -- vs. No. 1 Florida State (in Orlando): 33-20 loss
Oct. 24, 1992 -- vs. No. 1 Miami: 43-23 loss
Sept. 18, 1993 -- at No. 3 Miami: 21-2 loss
Jan. 4, 2000 -- vs. No. 1 Florida State (in Sugar Bowl/National Championship): 46-29 loss
Nov. 4, 2000 -- at No. 3 Miami: 41-21 loss
Dec. 1, 2001 -- vs. No. 1 Miami: 26-24 loss
Dec. 7, 2002 -- at No. 1 Miami: 56-45 loss
Nov. 1, 2003 -- vs. No. 2 Miami: 31-7 WIN!
Aug. 28, 2004 -- vs. No. 1 USC (at FedEx Field): 24-13 loss
Jan. 3, 2005 -- vs. No. 3 Auburn (in Sugar Bowl): 16-13 loss
Nov. 5, 2005 -- vs. No. 5 Miami: 27-7 loss
Sept. 8, 2007 -- at No. 2 LSU: 48-7 loss
Oct. 25, 2007 -- vs. No. 2 Boston College: 14-10 loss
Sept. 5, 2009 -- vs. No. 5 Alabama (in Atlanta): 34-24 loss
Sept. 6, 2010 -- vs. No. 3 Boise State (at FedEx Field): 33-30 loss
Jan. 3, 2011 -- vs. No. 5 Stanford (in Orange Bowl): 40-12 loss

I don't have the info for 12 and 13...but I do know they got blown out by Bama last year.

SU has a better Top 10 record than VTech does.
https://sites.google.com/site/collegefootballhistory/record-vs-top-10-teams-game-time

This is just patently false while VPI craps the bed in big games they have won 4 ACC titles since 2004, have played in 2 Sugar Bowls, 3 Orange Bowls winning 1 BCS game.
Syracuse played in Orange Bowl back in 1999 and you want to stay Syracuse has more creditability? Our FB brand has taken a nose dive we are back to being average while VPI is top 25 every 2 years. UNC and VPI have fertile recruiting grounds that SU doesn't. How you think Georgia Tech is better nationally perceived than VPI is mystifying. The Hokies don't close the deal but they are a national player. North Carolina has a great brand and if their coach uses the talent the program is starting get they have a chance to be good almost yearly.
Syracuse needs 1 top 300 recruit I mean we at overrating ourselves a lot if we think we are level with the Jokies.
Not false. GATech, Pitt and Syracuse have all won titles, beaten name teams and been in the title hunt. VATech lays the egg almost every time they play a top team. People who care about football bet against VATech, hope to draw them in bowls, etc.

I am not sure how old you are but young fans may view your position as correct but amongst fans 40+, none are filled by VATech and UNC does not even register because they never prove up.

Further, VATech's record was built on beating pansies and winning only when name teams were down. When VATech sticks it to Clemson and FSU while both are title contenders, CFB fans may take notice. The new SOS component for the playoffs will probably affect schools like VATech more than most realize.

In short, ask real CFB fans ( not the fair weather, whoever is hot and/or mentioned for abusing Iaa teams) and they will laugh at VATech. Having lived in several places, the only people I met that really believed in VATech football were alumni.

Alsacs...I think HTown is referring to the Hokies propensity to lose the big games

Under Beamer

Nov. 14, 1987 -- at No. 3 Miami: 27-13 loss
Sept. 3, 1988 -- at No. 4 Clemson: 40-7 loss
Nov. 12, 1988 -- at No. 5 Florida State: 41-14 loss
Sept. 29, 1990 -- at No. 2 Florida State: 39-28 loss
Oct. 12, 1991 -- vs. No. 1 Florida State (in Orlando): 33-20 loss
Oct. 24, 1992 -- vs. No. 1 Miami: 43-23 loss
Sept. 18, 1993 -- at No. 3 Miami: 21-2 loss
Jan. 4, 2000 -- vs. No. 1 Florida State (in Sugar Bowl/National Championship): 46-29 loss
Nov. 4, 2000 -- at No. 3 Miami: 41-21 loss
Dec. 1, 2001 -- vs. No. 1 Miami: 26-24 loss
Dec. 7, 2002 -- at No. 1 Miami: 56-45 loss
Nov. 1, 2003 -- vs. No. 2 Miami: 31-7 WIN!
Aug. 28, 2004 -- vs. No. 1 USC (at FedEx Field): 24-13 loss
Jan. 3, 2005 -- vs. No. 3 Auburn (in Sugar Bowl): 16-13 loss
Nov. 5, 2005 -- vs. No. 5 Miami: 27-7 loss
Sept. 8, 2007 -- at No. 2 LSU: 48-7 loss
Oct. 25, 2007 -- vs. No. 2 Boston College: 14-10 loss
Sept. 5, 2009 -- vs. No. 5 Alabama (in Atlanta): 34-24 loss
Sept. 6, 2010 -- vs. No. 3 Boise State (at FedEx Field): 33-30 loss
Jan. 3, 2011 -- vs. No. 5 Stanford (in Orange Bowl): 40-12 loss

I don't have the info for 12 and 13...but I do know they got blown out by Bama last year.

SU has a better Top 10 record than VTech does.
https://sites.google.com/site/collegefootballhistory/record-vs-top-10-teams-game-time
Yes. This is what CFB fans see. People in Texas, FL, OH, MI, LA,CA, etc. aren't going to watch VATech beat up William and Mary, they will tune into big games and see VATech live up to their nickname of "Chokies".~

To support Alsacs partially...he is correct that SU and VT went polar opposite after the '98 season. But the last few seasons we are trending up and VT is suffering malaise. SU could very well pass them again the next few years.

To support Alsacs partially...he is correct that SU and VT went polar opposite after the '98 season. But the last few seasons we are trending up and VT is suffering malaise. SU could very well pass them again the next few years.
Yeah, I had o clarify my original post with the over 40 crowd. Many you get fans simply don't have the historical perspective because VATech has been puffed up, especially while Miami and FSU were down.

Not false. GATech, Pitt and Syracuse have all won titles, beaten name teams and been in the title hunt. VATech lays the egg almost every time they play a top team. People who care about football bet against VATech, hope to draw them in bowls, etc.

I am not sure how old you are but young fans may view your position as correct but amongst fans 40+, none are filled by VATech and UNC does not even register because they never prove up.

Further, VATech's record was built on beating pansies and winning only when name teams were down. When VATech sticks it to Clemson and FSU while both are title contenders, CFB fans may take notice. The new SOS component for the playoffs will probably affect schools like VATech more than most realize.

In short, ask real CFB fans ( not the fair weather, whoever is hot and/or mentioned for abusing Iaa teams) and they will laugh at VATech. Having lived in several places, the only people I met that really believed in VATech football were alumni.
We won our title before segregation was outlawed. Va Tech is more of national power than Clemson. VPI may lose big games but they have played in 5 BCS bowls since 2004. Virginia Tech is a 4 star program. Since VPI has gone to the ACC they have actually scheduled people I mean they aren't Rutgers and I hate having to defend them. They have a top 2 ACC football brand behind FSU.
The top 4 are Florida State, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Miami

Time for our resurgence. Beamer is fading. Hope he lingers another 5 years - becoming a weird old guy.

Based on what? VT football is pretty much SU in hoop minus 2003. Both get an unfair knock on schedule, both pack their houses, coached by loyal grads, solid system that blows up at inopportune moments, etc...

I think the comiong ACC Network will be a different animal from the get-go. It won't be about football 1st and 2nd, like the BTN, or 1st and 2nd and 3rd, like the SECN. It will be about all sports. The league will make a deteremined pitch to drawe every more viewers not merely to the 2 revenue sports but to all sports.

Our basketball will make the ACCN heavily trafficked during winter, but the key tio maximizing its value is non-revenue sports. We clearly have the 2nd best top to bottom baseball and the 2nd most baseball fans. Now, SEC baseball gets excellent TV coverage for baseball across the South, while ACC baseball is under-televised. That will change with the ACCN.

The ACCN will mean that every lacrosse match played by the 5 can be televised. Some may not be, because of conflicts, but the 5 of us are all among the dozen most important programs in what is easily the fastest growing sport, not just now but in history. There will be a much larger TV audience for lacrosse in 10 years than there was even 5 years ago. And the ACC will dominate that.

ACC soccer also will get decent live coverage on the ACCN, and while I don't expect the audience for college soccer to grow the way lacrosse will for some time, I think it now is ready for good TV coverage of a top conference.

The main issue for ACC Presidents and ADs is not to equal the money the Big Ten and SEC get from networks; it is to maximize exposure, including for non-revenue sports.

And, yes, ND is essential to getting an ACC network. Rich ND alums who back basketball and/or non-revenue sports are going to play key roles getting their fans involved. They also will be essential to getting ND to help by allowing ND based football shows on the ACCN, which is what is required to get the ND football fans to pay attention. If ND allows its archives of photos and newsreels to be used to make shows on ND football history, Irish football fans are going to want the ACCN, even if there are no live ND football games on it.

But we all as fans of ACC schools will have to change our sports TV watching to make the ACCN work as well as it can. If Syracuse fans, for example, watch old BE basketball games and NBA games rather than watching GT vs. Clemson or FSU vs,. Miami on the ACCN, the ACC loses, which means Syracuse loses. If FSU and Celmson football fans watch SEC football games rather Cuse vs Pitt or BC or Louisville on the ACCN, the ACC loses, which means FSU and Clemson lose.

For me - it means I must watch less SEC football and baseball and much more ACC football and baseball, which I will do when the ACC games are available to me.

Based on what? VT football is pretty much SU in hoop minus 2003. Both get an unfair knock on schedule, both pack their houses, coached by loyal grads, solid system that blows up at inopportune moments, etc...
Hmmm I think SU wins more than 5% of Top 5 BB games under Boeheim...as you were saying?

I'm more worried about does ESPNACC(assumed name) get on basic standard cable in footprint or take being digital cable level with more subs in prime spot(espn u,news and nflnet level) but less $ per household because basic cable is being harder to get on for sports channels

Last edited:
We won our title before segregation was outlawed. Va Tech is more of national power than Clemson. VPI may lose big games but they have played in 5 BCS bowls since 2004. Virginia Tech is a 4 star program. Since VPI has gone to the ACC they have actually scheduled people I mean they aren't Rutgers and I hate having to defend them. They have a top 2 ACC football brand behind FSU.
The top 4 are Florida State, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Miami

They have played in 6 BCS bowl games and their record is 1-5 all time in BCS bowls. Please don't defend them. Getting there against sub par competition is one thing but actually being competitive against good teams, they are not.

Hmmm I think SU wins more than 5% of Top 5 BB games under Boeheim...as you were saying?

Can load up on cupcakes far more in hoop. Beamer has been there for ages in college football years. As far as a college football program goes it's rather comparable (and I hate that it is).