Bell, poor endurance? | Syracusefan.com

Bell, poor endurance?

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
His second half performances, not moving on offense, not scoring and not getting back quickly on defense. Plays like he is winded. Might this be an explanation?

I don’t think it’s endurance. It’s mental.

If he’s getting open looks and hitting them, he’s happy to hustle and play defense. If he’s not getting shots and/or not making them, it infects the rest of his game.

When he starts out hot, defenses adjust and stick to him like glue. He’s not particularly agile, and he’s clearly not a weight room guy, so it’s tough for him to shake defenders loose. Instead of running around screens for little reward, he just acts as a floor spacer, taking his defender out of the action, so it’s 4-on-4.

When he starts out cold, he’s bummed and goes into turtle mode.

If he’s getting open looks and hitting them, he’s happy to hustle and play defense. If he’s not getting shots and/or not making them, it infects the rest of his game.

When he starts out hot, defenses adjust and stick to him like glue. He’s not particularly agile, and he’s clearly not a weight room guy, so it’s tough for him to shake defenders loose. Instead of running around screens for little reward, he just acts as a floor spacer, taking his defender out of the action, so it’s 4-on-4.

Sounds like you don't like Chris Bell

His second half performances, not moving on offense, not scoring and not getting back quickly on defense. Plays like he is winded. Might this be an explanation?

Chris Bell is one of the more agonizing players. I was not a fan at all entering the year, but he’s has Preston Shumpert/Demetrius Nichols/James Sutherland moments offensively. He’s also had two recent games where he’s had an epic block on defense later in the games, an area not in his forte.

He plays with an always exasperated look. Doesn’t seem like a Syracuse-type of player but I’ll be damned since he has been clutch more than once this year.

Needs to be pushed let’s at least give him credit for improving with no Benny. Freeman and Moore will motivate him next year.

Can’t win without the three ball shame Judah JJ and Q aren’t a little better at it.

I'm not sure if he's winded just think he often lacks the 4th gear and tends to float.

I wish I had a GIF of Red laying into him Saturday. I've never seen a coach that pissed off at a player on the sidelines as far as I can remember (excluding Knight).

I wish I had a GIF of Red laying into him Saturday. I've never seen a coach that pissed off at a player on the sidelines as far as I can remember (excluding Knight).
I hope these guys realize how much Autry cares about them. Bell and Mintz have the potential to make a lot of money playing basketball. Coach is trying to get them to cut the bs so they can reach their potential. He doesn’t scream at Carey or Hima when they make mistakes. While it has been a rollercoaster ride season I have enjoyed Autry’s passion and desire to teach.

LOL

I hope these guys realize how much Autry cares about them. Bell and Mintz have the potential to make a lot of money playing basketball. Coach is trying to get them to cut the bs so they can reach their potential. He doesn’t scream at Carey or Hima when they make mistakes. While it has been a rollercoaster ride season I have enjoyed Autry’s passion and desire to teach.

Bullseye! He's looking out for them because they have very high ceilings. This is also what brings long term loyalty in a program. These young men will grow up and remember that Red held them accountable because he cared enough about them to tell them the truth and expected better from them.

The kid was eating total garbage last year, self-admittedly. He basically told JB he didn't want to rebound in high school. JB ripped him. Autry has ripped him. He's not a physical freak.

I don't think it's second half of games, I think he's just not a physical freak naturally and while I'm glad he gave up eating 10000 grams of sugar each day, I'm sure there is more potential if he continues to be more attuned to what is needed for consistent success at this level.

To be clear, I don't think he's a bad character person since I have to flag that now.

But the kid can shoot the heck out of the ball from three point range on catch and shoot or catch and one dribble slide and shoot and we don't have anyone else that can. He's really good at it. Anyone saying otherwise is lying. So he doesn't really need to be that motivated from someone taking his spot. Whether he is or isn't is up for debate, but from JB's comments and AA's comments or just hammering him on the bench, I'd wager he needs a little extra push.

Again, I'm sure he's a fine human being. Donates to charity. Helps old women cross the street. Drives a vehicle that is climate conscious. Knits shawls for people that are cold sitting in Geo 105 class. The usual.

I think his biggest problem is he doesn't know how to play. He knows shooting (mainly from the corners). He however does not seem to have an idea on how to supplement that part of the game. He's better this year than he was last year but has miles to go before I call him a basketball player. Right now he's a shooter, and thank God for it as we need him to make shots desperately.

He is an incredible athlete. I dont think at all its endurance.

he can not shoot coming off of screens. Autry even responded to Draymond with that. I think its because he barely jumps when he shoots. Ive honestly never seen anything like that. And add that to Taylors horrific shooting cringworthy form, it drives me insane to watch our 2 best shooters do things that no other shooters do.

He is athletic, gets pretty weak side blocks, and has superior hand eye coordination but he plays like he is conserving energy. Perhaps another limiting factor is lack of strength?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom