Benny suspended. Maliq still hurt. | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Benny suspended. Maliq still hurt.

Bad opponent or not- he's never put in the kind of game and effort for a full game Taylor did vs St Rose the other night.
Right, you rarely see the effort, he doesnt run the floor hard, he just glides and floats.

What does Benny do great that warrants him to be starting? Is he a great shooter? No, though improved at the end. Scorer? Too inconsistent. Ball handler? not really. Rebounder? Seems reluctant to, not aggressive, rarely gets offensive rebounds for points. He's been coasting and living off his recruiting ranking long enough.

Bad opponent or not- he's never put in the kind of game and effort for a full game Taylor did vs St Rose the other night.
While Benny's effort, productivity, and attitude/decision making have definitely been questionable thus far at the Cuse, to say he has 'NEVER' put in the kind of game and effort for a full game that Taylor did against a D2 opponent in an exhibition game is just false.

I certainly wouldn't want to give Maliq Brown and Justin Taylor a head-start in the battle for minutes. Those guys do winning things that you need from role players

The more they are out there showing the staff that while Benny is watching at home the harder it will be to see the minutes he was expecting a week ago. If he needed a wake up call he's getting a real one right now.

Last edited:
While Benny's effort, productivity, and attitude/decision making have definitely been questionable thus far at the Cuse, to say he has 'NEVER' put in the kind of game and effort for a full game that Taylor did against a D2 opponent in an exhibition game is just false.

Name the game(s). He's had good halves and stretches but one of the biggest issues has been he hasn't put together a full game and absolutely part of that has been effort and focus.

The late season games last year he shot it well and played more aggressively but that was relative to his own previous performances.

I like Benny and want to see him succeed. At this point though we have to be real. It's on him to turn it all around. The maturity and effort factor is part of his struggles since day 1.

Name the game(s). He's had good halves and stretches but one of the biggest issues has been he hasn't put together a full game and absolutely part of that has been effort and focus.

The late season games last year he shot it well and played more aggressively but that was relative to his own previous performances.

I like Benny and want to see him succeed. At this point though we have to be real. It's on him to turn it all around. The maturity and effort factor is part of his struggles since day 1.

When he's fit Brown is the starter now for me.

Given Benny's adversarial relationship with JB, close-knit relationship with Red & questions of maturity, it's not far-fetched to assume he may have thought Red's easy-going nature could be taken advantage of to some degree.

If he's not awake now, he's rapidly nearing it being too late.

We don't have to look that far back. The last game he played in that actually counted (WF in the ACC tourney). Was he perfect...no, but played a pretty complete game and showed solid effort. Could even argue he was the best player for the Cuse that game.

The BC game earlier in the season was also a pretty good all around game in which he seemed to be engaged and focused for the most part.

I understand the frustration with him, because he has shown (in the games mentioned above) what he is capable of, but then on the flip side there is a large amount of games he looks like he is completely out of it.

We don't have to look that far back. The last game he played in that actually counted (WF in the ACC tourney). Was he perfect...no, but played a pretty complete game and showed solid effort. Could even argue he was the best player for the Cuse that game.

The BC game earlier in the season was also a pretty good all around game in which he seemed to be engaged and focused for the most part.

I understand the frustration with him, because he has shown (in the games mentioned above) what he is capable of, but then on the flip side there is a large amount of games he looks like he is completely out of it.

I expected those would be the games referenced which is why I said what I said. He was better than he had been and the stats looked good in those games. That doesn't change my point. I complemented him on that Wake game a great deal previously.

You can look back at pretty much everything I've ever posted on Benny and I've been in his camp more than most. That said I stand firmly by my point. I hope this is the final hard lesson and he puts his head down and focuses on being everything we need him to be and he needs himself to be.

Yeah, I think he was good in the Gtown game in the Dome last December but going into Year 3, the staff has got to be getting a little frustrated where they hype just hasn't met the production. Now even if your not destined for stardom, there are other winning traits that can be exemplified. Getting suspended as a Jr is not one of them.

Its sort of similar to Tommy Devito's time where by Jr year he loses his starting spot.

Well, I can't really speak to effort. Some guys just look like they don't need to try out there. Some guys look like they are grinding for their life just tying their shoes before the game. Intensity and effort aren't always visible. As a data point, I, for one, don't think Benny was acting for the cameras when he ripped his shirt off.

On the other hand, you don't have to look far to find a game when Benny Williams was a superstar (for a game). Against Wake Forest in the conference tourney, in a do or die game Benny had the following stat line:

38 min 18 points 11 rebounds 5 steals 1 block 3 made threes and 50% overall shooting percentage,

His last four games (averaging in the 8 minute virtual benching against Wake in the regular season finale) Williams averaged 13.3 points, 7.3 rebounds and 1.5 steals on .641 total shooting.

If that's his new reality, he's in the conversation for our best player.

Well, I can't really speak to effort. Some guys just look like they don't need to try out there. Some guys look like they are grinding for their life just tying their shoes before the game. Intensity and effort aren't always visible. As a data point, I, for one, don't think Benny was acting for the cameras when he ripped his shirt off.

On the other hand, you don't have to look far to find a game when Benny Williams was a superstar (for a game). Against Wake Forest in the conference tourney, in a do or die game Benny had the following stat line:

38 min 18 points 11 rebounds 5 steals 1 block 3 made threes and 50% overall shooting percentage,

His last four games (averaging in the 8 minute virtual benching against Wake in the regular season finale) Williams averaged 13.3 points, 7.3 rebounds and 1.5 steals on .641 total shooting.

If that's his new reality, he's in the conversation for our best player.

I'd love if that's his new reality statistically - the exhibition games have been ok but he's lost focus on defense for extended periods in both. He did the same in those good games last year as he played well in spurts. That Wake game we still lost to boot. Then here we are with another absence this time via suspension. Benny needs to be his own best attorney now. Enough water has been carried in support of this kid so its time he returns that faith.

I cant restate enough how his last 4 games were better statistically but far from our best player and that has not translated the first two exhibitions. It was positive momentum and improvement at least ( and many of us were happy to see that) and then this. Red is his coach now, a coach he was supposedly thrilled to now have due to that stronger relationship. He then goes and does whatever he did plus walks out of practice. Effort is far more than production in games.

I must’ve missed the 100% effort Benny game.

200.gif

I don't believe this is good for the team let alone Benny. I hope this gets resolved quickly and we move past this quickly in one way or another to eliminate distraction(s). Focus on the process of building a new dynasty. Lets have another 50+ winning seasons.

Go CUSE.!!!!!

I don't believe this is good for the team let alone Benny. I hope this gets resolved quickly and we move past this quickly in one way or another to eliminate distraction(s). Focus on the process of building a new dynasty. Lets have another 50+ winning seasons.

Go CU

3 of his last 4 games Benny put up
18 points and 11 boards 5 steals
11 points 8 boards 3 assists
24 points 9 boards.
And hes a step faster so far this year imo. Sad to see him miss one.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom